Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-01-28, 15:29)dermo33 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-27, 15:17)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]@dermo33,
There is an official Android TV remote control App for Android and iOS.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...mote&hl=en

If that is unsatisfactory, like everyone else using Android Boxes (yes even the Shield) you are going to need to buy a Wireless Air Mouse remote or touchpad keyboard if you want to use such thing as a Chrome Browser or touchscreen Sideloaded Apps.
I use a Wireless MINIX A2 Lite, Air Mouse, Mini Keyboard remote.

SPMC will have TV / Movie titles in the Recommendations Row once you Add your A/V Library and Scrape Metadata.

Thanks for the reply. Ive had a look at that google remote app, but seems there is an issue with this and the mi box and it doesnt work. Plenty of people reporting this on play store comments. Ive just ordered a 2.4Ghz C120 remote. The one you suggested looks good, but its probably more than I need
Google Remote ("Android TV Remote Control") app works for me both in the default firmware and with the most recent update...if you're talking about the app in the link you quoted.
(2017-01-29, 07:38)ByteShare Wrote: [ -> ]Google Remote ("Android TV Remote Control") app works for me both in the default firmware and with the most recent update...if you're talking about the app in the link you quoted.

Doesn't work for me on 2.4 or 5ghz network or bluetooth. Dont know why, doesnt even work on old m8s box. Suspect it might be something to do with my phone running beta N on oneplus 3
Android TV Remote - Works with my iPhone running iOS 9.x Smile
yep, not had any issues with the remote app either, working fine on both iOS and Android.
Kewbase:

There is a mini optical audio port (actually I think its a dual port, 1/8th stereo and optical) on the right side looking from the back, beside the HDMI port. You will need a mini to standard SPDIF cable. It looks like the picture in Post #937.
(2017-01-27, 08:23)ByteShare Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone know which type of art SPMC uses for the home screen recommendations?
I see some shows displaying artwork but not for all, and as far as I can tell the shows/movies that aren't showing have the all the required artwork. I'm trying to figure out if it is a dimensions issue or what?
I don't have this issue with VLC.

Figured this out a little bit more. I wasn't missing the art but after I reloaded the art with TMM (TinyMediaManager) and refreshed in SPMC for the shows not displaying art on the Android TV home screen I am seeing the art.
I confirmed SPMC is using the "Thumb.jpg" file, which isn't coming from TheTVDB.com (I don't think). Not sure about the filesize or dimensions limits.
Update:
Looks like if the Thumbs.jpg is missing it defaults to the poster.jpg
(2017-01-22, 11:26)dyera Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-21, 23:00)cdmonk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-21, 06:23)charliebrown Wrote: [ -> ]Try turning off bluetooth, I had massive problems with the wifi when bluetooth where turned on, as soon as i turned it off it worked great.

@dyera: It definitely can decode it, it's just a matter of getting the data in to it. I can't see this data rate being much higher than a BR ISO. I reencoded the video at 45mbit/sec and it still struggled, so I tried again at 30mbit and it seemed OK. What is the video data rate you are trying to play? If I had 802.11AC based on the tests I saw posted in this thread, it should just play if you tweak your cache settings.

@charliebrown: Cheers, I'll need to give it a try. I'm guessing that the BT remote stops working if you do that tho LOL.

I'm using 5Gz so I am not expecting it to reduce interference on the radio, but it could be something else so I'll give it a go.

The same as yours about 65Mbit

Could you share what you think i should have the buffer set too and ill give it a go, router is about 4m away so should be getting good speeds.

I just plugged in an AC access point (sitting about 1ft from the Mi Box as its using the ethernet cable I was using for the Mi Box) and its playing the content fine now. I tested both access points for speed using my Surface Pro 3 and the 802.11N AP was able to move 15-17MB/sec which is plenty for the movies (about 120MBIT) and the 802.11AC AP was able to move at about 40-45MB/sec (about 320MBIT). I suspect that the network stack great as even on the N AP it should still be fine.

Based on my tests, AC should be fine with the default cache. You could have some wireless interference?

You could setting your cache for 200-400 MB, Buffer Mode 1, but if your getting that message, it probably wont help Sad
There is another mi box system update today. Something to do with sling TV.
(2017-01-30, 00:21)crestorrep Wrote: [ -> ]There is another mi box system update today. Something to do with sling TV.

Don't see it yet. They didn't break HEVC 10bit playback did they?
(2017-01-30, 04:42)ByteShare Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-30, 00:21)crestorrep Wrote: [ -> ]There is another mi box system update today. Something to do with sling TV.

I'm not a power user like that. Just a general user. Don't know anything about any of that stuff. I'm in USA, update was yesterday. Surprised you can't get it yet if you're in USA.

It has something to do with sling TV. After it updated and rebooted, asked if I wanted to automatically launch sling when I powered on mi box.
(2017-01-30, 04:42)ByteShare Wrote: [ -> ]

No they did not break it. I believe I'm actually getting better 10bit 4K video playback compatibility now than before after this morning's update.

Go into Android Settings > About > Check for Update I think it is.
So I just bought a 4K TV (TCL 55us57). It has built in 4K Netflix and Amazon apps built into its Roku OS. Problem is while HDMI ARC works, it plays a little havoc with my AVR and I have to change inputs between the built in Roku and HDMI sometimes to get sound working again. Not a huge issue, but not super wife and kids friendly. Id prefer to just have everything on one device. Here is the problem: AVR is not HDCP 2.2 comptabile. Its HDMI 1.4.

Buying a new AVR is out of the question for now.
My thought is getting a Mi Box, and running HDMI directly to the TV. Question then is getting sound to the AVR. I dont necessarily need HD audio, so DD/DTS 5.1 is fine. 99% of my library is that anyway.

Can I run optical to the AVR for 5.1 via optical and have it work in Kodi, Netflix, and Amazon and HDMI to the TV for 4K video?
(2017-01-29, 18:03)ncoleman007 Wrote: [ -> ]Kewbase:

There is a mini optical audio port (actually I think its a dual port, 1/8th stereo and optical) on the right side looking from the back, beside the HDMI port. You will need a mini to standard SPDIF cable. It looks like the picture in Post #937.

Thanks for your help but that is not the problem. Netflix doesn't show/play 5.1 sound on the Mi box. Am I the only one or are more users having this problem?
I just bought a 4k TV and i was thinking of getting an box mainly for Kodi, Netflix and IPTV (paid subscription). Is this box adequate for my needs or would another box be more suitable for my needs? I am especially concerned about the IPTV part as I don't want any stuttering/buffering if possible. Thanks in advance for your help!
(2017-01-30, 21:47)thesuffering Wrote: [ -> ]Here is the problem: AVR is not HDCP 2.2 comptabile. Its HDMI 1.4.

Buying a new AVR is out of the question for now.

Blackbird 4K Pro HDCP Converter, 2.2 to 1.4