Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just bought this lovely device MDZ-16-AB, pushed latest firmware and did factory reset. No ES File Explorer malware and I have installed Solid Explorer with ftp plugin to always have MiBOX3 file share available on my network.

Some issues:

1. I have loud "POP" sound sometimes when switching inputs on my TV which are amplified even more thanks to a big woofer I have in my setup. 2.1 system is connected via 3.5mm stereo analog input. I guess some ground problems, maybe TV is to blame but never had this problem before, eg. with Raspberry Pi.

2. No native Audio DSP support, listening radios and mp3's in Kodi mostly and I am just missing some treble or bass love.

3. It seems that all sideloaded apk's have to be manually updated from time to time.

4. Even when switched off, light goes off, I can feel device slightly warm.

5. Running acestream and putting MiBOX really to it's maximum and you can feel it getting really warm. Interesting to see how it will behave in the summer.

This all with 5GHz WiFi connected, will test more with usb-ethernet dongle I have in upcoming days...

I have bought it from Aliexpress, ~20days delivery, came in simple brown box, only thing missing were batteries, oh well...
(2017-02-08, 11:26)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-08, 09:43)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-08, 03:37)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]You can get rid of that annoying circle in ES' settings... disable logging floating window.
Please don't spread this.
At this point ES Explorer must be considered malware...
I totally agree with Koying, so do a LOT of devs. - WeTek even removed ES Explorer from their Android OS releases due to serious concerns.

I'm going to put a Warning in the START HERE thread about this nasty App as well.
Wasn't aware ES had gotten this bad. So, besides X-plore, what are other good file manager apps compatible w/Android TV (free or paid)?
Hi guys, few questions about this box:

1)Could someone tell me if netflix works good on xiaomi box? (I don't care about 5.1). I read on miui forums that netflix app is garbage despite all the updates and netflix blocks often with the message: "We're having trouble playing this title right now..."

2)Netlfix app is native or it needs to be installed from playstore?

4)Netflix will run 1080p?

Thanks
I've used two Mi Box's from different sources (USA & Asia) on two different TV's.
Both have never had issues with Netflix installed straight from the inbuilt Google Playstore.

I've no doubt others have had issues, likely to do with 4K TV's and possibly Mixed Mode HDMI 1.4 AVR's & HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 TV's

Netflix will do up to 4K and give you 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus - Audio output if connected to a DD+ capable HDCP 2.2 TV / AVR.

You do have to be careful if using a 4K TV to make sure it is HDCP 2.2 capable and its Firmware is up to date otherwise there will be Netflix issues, even with 1080p. I had to update my 4K TV's Firmware because of this HDCP 2.2 problem, I was getting... that same message "We're having trouble playing this title right now..." before the TV Firmware update.

Same goes for HDMI 1.4 / HDCP 1.4 AVR's combined with a HDCP 2.2 capable 4K TV. Everything in the HDMI / HDCP chain must be HDCP 2.2 capable. Otherwise there will be problems on 4K capable DRM streaming boxes like the nVIDIA Shield and the Mi Box and even the WeTek Netflix boxes.

There is a handy Diagnosis App on the Google Playstore called DRMInfo where you can see exactly what your HDCP Protection Status is:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...info&hl=en
(2017-02-08, 02:54)Bluegrass Picker Wrote: [ -> ]I just picked up a MI box and I'm having some issues that I hope someone could help with. (I spent quite a bit of time on the net and here on the forum searching for the answers, but I haven't found them yet).

1. I have a Pioneer stereo that uses Toslink optical input for sound. The MI will send 5.1 to my TV via HDMI and I can pass 5.1 to the Pioneer via Toslink just fine, but no DTS which I expected would be the case. Today I received a Toslink to 3.5mm adapter so I connected that to the MI, then Toslink cable to the Pioneer, set the MI in the Android TV settings for SPDIF (and also tried AUTO which set the box to SPDIF passthrough). Now using any app I get absolutely no sound sent to the Pioneer from the MI through the Toslink. This is before even trying Kodi. Am I doing something wrong, perhaps overlooking a setting? Pioneer is a few years old, no HDMI, has DTS and 5.1 capability.

2. A small (3 or 4 inch) circle appears on the screen at the very far right about half way up and stays there for a long time. It appears to have a part of a picture in it, but I cannot tell. (This is unrelated to the digital optical, as it has been happening since I received the MI, before connecting the Toslink). Is there a reason for that circle and can it be disabled?

I've spent hours trying to solve these problems, but to no avail....

Please help, and thanks in advance.

Bluegrass Picker

Same problem. When I buy it I run the audio in dts. But in some update broke. I wanted to do a clean installation, but I see that it will not work.
(2017-02-08, 09:43)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-08, 03:37)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]You can get rid of that annoying circle in ES' settings... disable logging floating window.
Please don't spread this.

The pro version also has this by default! Sad
@wrxtasy thank you for your reply.

I have an old Full HD TV(LG 42LD550 from 2011). On the official page specs it says "HDMI/HDCP Input - Yes (1 - v1.3, Deep Colour)".

At this moment I use an apple tv 2 for netflix who is limited at 720p only and I would like a media player so I can run 1080p and use kodi as well. Based on netflix test patterns right now it runs at 720x480, 8 bpc, 24.000 fps. (pic here)

I read somewhere else that hdmi 2.0 AND HDCP 2.2 are required for Netflix to generate >480p streams on authenticated devices. Is this true? That means if I will buy Mi box or any other android box I will still be limited at 720x480? Sad
Suggestion first - I have read somewhere - turn off all Deep Color support in both the TV's settings and in the Mi Box's Android > Display > Screen Resolution settings. I would turn OFF HDR as well.

From memory you only need HDMI 1.3/4 and HDCP 1.x Protected (use the DRM Info App) for 1080p Netflix on a 1080p TV.
You really need to use that DRM Info App to find out what is going on or your will just be chasing your tail.

My 9 year old 1080p only Sony TV does Mi Box 1080p Netflix just fine. From memory that TV spat out HDCP 1.x from DRM Info.
Well, I don't have the mi box yet so I can make those settings or to install drm info app. I know that I am a little offtopic but I'm asking these questions so I know if it worth buying it or not mibox.I don't want to buy it and to see that even with mi box I will get 480p only(because of the tv?)

And that's because I tried now my apple tv 2 on my other 2016 4k samsung tv and I still got 480p only. I need to mention that I have an old version on apple tv. 5.1 because it was the last one that could support jailbreak. Don't know however if that could be the reason of such a low resolution.
(2017-02-08, 19:51)wizi Wrote: [ -> ]I read somewhere else that hdmi 2.0 AND HDCP 2.2 are required for Netflix to generate >480p streams on authenticated devices. Is this true? That means if I will buy Mi box or any other android box I will still be limited at 720x480? Sad

That's false. HDMI 2.0 w/ HDCP 2.2 support is only required for Netflix 4K. If you have a 1080p TV, and use the Mi Box, you'll get 1080p Netflix streams.
(2017-02-08, 14:54)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-08, 11:26)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-08, 09:43)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Please don't spread this.
I totally agree with Koying, so do a LOT of devs. - WeTek even removed ES Explorer from their Android OS releases due to serious concerns.

I'm going to put a Warning in the START HERE thread about this nasty App as well.
Wasn't aware ES had gotten this bad. So, besides X-plore, what are other good file manager apps compatible w/Android TV (free or paid)?

I would suggest Amaze or MI Explorer.
I understand thank you. I'm still thinking about buying this box. Is the best option out there but if you google "xiaomi box netflix" you will see lot of reddits, forums etc with people complaining about netflix issue.

Also maybee I will find this one: "The exact model you want is mdz-16-ab which is an official Androidtv device. As such, it has all appropriate drm features and id recognized by Netflix for HD/4K"
Thanks guys. So glad I saw these comments about ES File Explorer. I also had that really annoying circle and I thought it was a Mi Box bug. I had installed ES a couple of days ago (really out of habit, when I needed a file manager).

So sad. It used to be such a great tool.
got a mi box today. its getting late so i didnt install kodi yet. i have the mi box plugged in direct to the tv. Sound is passing through HDMI ARC to a hdmi 1.4 receiver just fine via DD on netflix. TV shows 4K@60hz We shall see what Kodi does. Whats the most current method to getting Amazon video working on it (preferably in 4K) . Can we use the Shield apk?
(2017-02-09, 06:23)thesuffering Wrote: [ -> ]Whats the most current method to getting Amazon video working on it (preferably in 4K) . Can we use the Shield apk?
4K Amazon options for the Mi Box:

a) Pester Xiaomi USA on Twitter, Forums, Facebook..
b) Go to a Church, donate money and Pray
c) Buy a nVIDIA Shield. Wink

1080p Amazon may be possible (if it still works) with a involved: DIY AML Kodi Leia install Hack

As for Shield or any other Sideloaded .apk's - you will have to test yourself. Last time I checked they did not work with any Amazon Video .apk

Q. How is you HDMI equiptment connected out of interest ?

is it - Mi Box > HDMI 2.0 4K TV<-> HDMI ARC <-> HDMI 1.4 AVR ?