Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot get Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 to work with lubuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pls help, I am new to linux, but i was told this card should be supported. I have read google for days, tried anything i could find but no luck

steve@steve-HTPC:~$ dmesg | grep saa7164
[ 13.548296] saa7164 driver loaded
[ 13.548694] CORE saa7164[0]: subsystem: 0070:8980, board: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR2200 [card=4,autodetected]
[ 13.548698] saa7164[0]/0: found at 0000:02:00.0, rev: 129, irq: 18, latency: 0, mmio: 0xfd400000
[ 13.707267] saa7164_downloadfirmware() no first image
[ 13.707277] saa7164_downloadfirmware() Waiting for firmware upload (NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw)
[ 13.792488] saa7164 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load failed with error -2
[ 13.792491] saa7164 0000:02:00.0: Falling back to user helper
[ 13.859035] saa7164_downloadfirmware() Upload failed. (file not found?)

It appears to be a driver/firmware problem but i cannot sort it out, any help would be appreaciated.
Most of the linux guides assume a base level of knowledge, which i dont have Sad
thx in advance.
I have the exact same problem - there do not seem to be any explanations/instructions that assume an absolute beginner level of experience.

Any help, both for me and any future Linux newbies, would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have the firmware installed in /lib/firmware? The "file not found" error (assuming yours is the same) suggests not.

Firmware here: http://www.steventoth.net/linux/hvr22xx/...s/4019072/

More detailed installation instructions here: https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/H...V-HVR-2200
I am not even getting any errors (though I am not sure where I would be able to see these).

The only reason I think there is a problem is because the card is not showing up in TVH.

Unfortunately, I cannot even find the /lib/firmware folder to check what is in it - I think that I am still trying to use Linux as Windows.

Where about is this folder kept?

I did come across this before

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/H...V-HVR-2200

but I am such a novice that Linux that I literally don't understand what I am supposed to be doing with this information.
I'd guess that it's because the card isn't initialising at an operating system level - so tvheadend doesn't see it because it's not technically there (it's physically there, obviously, but the OS isn't reporting it as there, if that makes sense). Firmware is a tiny piece of code that the OS downloads to the card in order to initialise it properly... no firmware, no card.

If you can use the command prompt, simply ls -la /lib/firmware/<filename> will tell you if a given file is there. If in doubt, ls -la /lib/firmware and then copy-and-paste the output into something like pastebin.com - post the link back here, and I'll look.

If you can't use the command line, then a file browser will get you to the same place. Remember that / is the system root directory, though, which is way above your home directory (c/f C:\ vs C:\Users\Username\My Documents on Windows).

You will need one or more of the firmware files listed in that linuxtv article - which ones depends on your card version, I suspect, but having all of them won't hurt. Whether there's some configuration beyond that, we'll have to see...