Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [split] Improved Classical Music Browsing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
(2016-01-19, 03:12)KiddK0di Wrote: [ -> ]Good Day Blake,
If you don't mind can you elaborate.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Music_nodes
Kiddkodi that wiki covers custom nodes well.

The lastest build of Krypton does have some default role nodes (for composer, conductor etc.) but not producer which seems to be your interest. I suggest you create a custom node xml file as I give in post #129. Create a copy of the system default nodes that come with Kodi, as the wiki describes, and add that file to the /userdata/library/music/roles folder.
Good Day Blake & Zag
Thank You Very Much
I am enthusiastic about this development as a serious classical music lover, and deeply grateful to the developer. I would be happy to test the new features once testing versions become available.
(2016-01-27, 16:55)pierocol Wrote: [ -> ]I am enthusiastic about this development as a serious classical music lover, and deeply grateful to the developer. I would be happy to test the new features once testing versions become available.

Great, testing very welcome. The new music features are available in the pre-alpha nightly development builds of Krypton, read about the nightlies here http://kodi.wiki/view/development_builds The wiki mentions Jarvis, but nightlies are now Krypton. Download, scan in your music (tagged with composer etc.) and give it a try. We warned that there are all kinds of changes to all parts of Kodi in the dev builds, expect oddities!

The default library menu includes a "Roles" node and some nodes below that e.g. composers etc. but you may want to try adding other custom nodes.

Minimal instructions I'm afraid, but ask questions if you are unsure. Easier to reply than think of all the things you may want to know in advance. More music improvements to come, but "artist roles" is the start.
I did it and just seeing "Ludwig van Beethoven" under Composers gave me a burst of joy! I owe you. I feel like I should get a bottle of champagne and have a toast with you. Again, thanks a whole lot!
You're most welcome, thank you for braving "pre-alpha" and trying it out. I know how you feel about the composers list too. Smile

There is more work to do, of course, but it is a start. With some careful filtering using role, genre and/or path my diverse music collection can stop looking so jumbled. The mix of composers, orchestras, conductors, soloists and pop ,musicians that I started with looks so much better now.
DaveBlake - First time poster here and kodi newbee. :) I tested Kodi out a years ago and was turned off because of the limitations it had with handing ID tags. The addition of TCON is a great start. I use TCON as a dummy ID tag to separate my music collection (i.e. christmas from the rest). I use TIT1 (grouping) so I can group my music. For example and not to pick on the Rolling Stones. They are a good band but I find it very hard to listen to every track on a whole album. So I set up a groups (tit1) that assigns a "rocking" category (but it could be any word I suppose). So if I want to hear all good rolling stones song I would select using the grouping tag. If I want to listen to them all, I don't select the rocking tag. Kodi still can't handle this TIT1 tag. Is there a way to add TIT1 into the mix?

An out of the box idea (remember I'm a noobie). Is it possible to use some sort of XML file somewhere to define what ID tags the database should read when files are imported? Mediatomb for example works great - you can assign whatever ID tags you want to read in via an xml file.

Thanks again for taking the initiative to make this program even better!
(2016-01-29, 16:10)tommyp Wrote: [ -> ]An out of the box idea (remember I'm a noobie). Is it possible to use some sort of XML file somewhere to define what ID tags the database should read when files are imported? Mediatomb for example works great - you can assign whatever ID tags you want to read in via an xml file.

Kodi will scan all tags available, then you can use audio nodes to only display certain ones. The system is very powerful and flexible.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_nodes
(2016-01-29, 16:10)tommyp Wrote: [ -> ]DaveBlake - First time poster here and kodi newbee. Smile I tested Kodi out a years ago and was turned off because of the limitations it had with handing ID tags. The addition of TCON is a great start. I use TCON as a dummy ID tag to separate my music collection (i.e. christmas from the rest). I use TIT1 (grouping) so I can group my music. For example and not to pick on the Rolling Stones. They are a good band but I find it very hard to listen to every track on a whole album. So I set up a groups (tit1) that assigns a "rocking" category (but it could be any word I suppose). So if I want to hear all good rolling stones song I would select using the grouping tag. If I want to listen to them all, I don't select the rocking tag. Kodi still can't handle this TIT1 tag. Is there a way to add TIT1 into the mix?

An out of the box idea (remember I'm a noobie). Is it possible to use some sort of XML file somewhere to define what ID tags the database should read when files are imported? Mediatomb for example works great - you can assign whatever ID tags you want to read in via an xml file.

Thanks again for taking the initiative to make this program even better!
Welcome (back) to Kodi Tommy. Kodi now processes a load more tags than it did. TIT1 is on my list of improvements to come, although I had not thought of using it the way you do. I had thought of it as a WORK tag say to group all the recordings of Beethoven's 9th symphony, but I will keep your use in mind.

I use TCON/Genre as a custom tag too, that splits my music into useful categories. Because it can have multiple values when combined with Kodi filtering and custom nodes it is very effective tool.

Kodi's philiosophy is you indicate you want to use a tag by including it in the music file, so like Zag says it scans all the tags, and then stores most of them. Not all (yet), TIT1 and TIT3 are missing, and odd things like TBPM, TPUB, TLAN aren't there, but rest of the standard tags are.

I'm yet to see a pursuasive argument for turning off tags - I know some people would like to turn off the scanning of mbids, but really the solution is to fix Kodi's parsing not disable tags. It would be hard with the current model (database and UI) to make Kodi totally tag configurable anyway. But always open to discussing that kind of thing.

So Kodi just reads the tags that are there. Is that a problem, and why?

I would say populate the library and have a play. You possibly want to make smart playlists and custom library nodes to get your music just as you want, but Kodi can do a lot.
I don't think zag read my question right, or maybe I phrased it wrong. What I meant was if there are xml files used by kodi to define certain things - I was thinking that an xml file can be used to identify what id tags are to be read by kodi so it builds the library using those xml defined id tags (instead of hard coding like DaveB is doing with this improvement). For example, create an xml file that contains TIT1, TIT3, TBPM, TPUB, TLAN and those tags would be read in when the database is built. Then you can use a library node to define the desired filtered output.

Thanks DaveB. I use the genre tag already. Going back to the rolling stones example, I'd have them as a rock genre and some songs are rocking (tit1). I use other songs for other genres, country music for example. Is this link http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_file_tags the latest list of ID3 tags that kodi uses?

I suppose there really isn't a problem with the database, but depending on my mood depends on what kind of playlist I want. What does work for now is for me to use my configured mediatomb (upnp) that displays the menu selections exactly the way I configured it (rocking/ballads/decades/genres/etc). Eventually I'd like to use kodi more than mediatomb, but the library selection scheme just doesn't cut it for me yet (but it's most definitely on the right track).

Stupid question and don't mean to hijack the thread - but can a library node be used to sort on tit1 or any other id tag? Or just the ones defined on the link I mentioned above?
(2016-01-29, 20:37)tommyp Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think zag read my question right, or maybe I phrased it wrong. What I meant was if there are xml files used by kodi to define certain things - I was thinking that an xml file can be used to identify what id tags are to be read by kodi so it builds the library using those xml defined id tags (instead of hard coding like DaveB is doing with this improvement). For example, create an xml file that contains TIT1, TIT3, TBPM, TPUB, TLAN and those tags would be read in when the database is built. Then you can use a library node to define the desired filtered output.

I don't think that idea would help usability of the software. Also I really don't understand why you would not want to scan any tag. Maybe performance but I doubt that is too much of an issue.

Anyway, I think those tags can be added pretty easily to our tag reading code.

IMO we should scan every tag that is standardized, then allow people to show their music how they want with xml nodes. The nodes that kodi has by default will help the basic user, and the ability to add new ones will cater for the power users out there.
Tommy the tags Kodi scans, stores, sorts by, filters, displays, etc. are all hard coded. All but a few are there, but no you can not do what you ask to add any that are not. And no it does not read TIT1, so can not sort on it or anything else.

Zag reading yet another tag is easy, adding it to the sorting, filtering, smart playlist rules, info labels (UI display), JSON API etc. takes a bit more effort. Using the data in relationship to the rest, like the artist roles, more work again.

That tag wiki page is way out of date, almost useless. A fuller ID3 list is TPE1, TPE2, TALB, TIT2,TRCK, TPOS, TYER, TDRC, TDRL, TCON, TMOO OR TXXX:MOOD, COMM, TCMP, USLT, REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN, REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN, REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK, REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK, MUSICBRAINZ ARTIST ID, MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST ID, MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST, MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID, UFID, POPM, APIC, TCOM, TPE3, TEXT, TPE4, TIPL, TMCL

Quote: library selection scheme just doesn't cut it for me

With the exception of TIT1, what do you want it to do? Saying "doesn't cut it" really doesn't tell us anything. There is a way to do most things, if you can explain what you actually want the outcome to be.

I can only suggest that you scan your music into a library and see what it can do. Explore smart playlists in particular.
I have my library set up where I use TCOM to say either Music or Christmas or Other. So at christmastime I can sort on TCOM/Christmas to set up a long playlist. The rest of the year I would sort on TCOM/Music. (The reason I used TCOM was that it was an obtrusive tag to other ID3 taggers.) I have a TIT1/Grouping where I have Rocking or Ballad. Let's say you have a bunch of people over and everyone is having a great time, you wouldn't want to hear a slow ballad or a bad rolling stone song either. Smile That kind of brings the party down. The rest of my ID tags are set up like most other folks. I simply had the TCOM and TIT1 to refine and ease the creation of playlists depending on my mood or what was happening. So my typical music playlist creation follows this order - tcom (to select whether music or christmas), tit1 (to select rocking or ballads), then I would select genre, year, artist etc. At any selection point process I would add all items to make the playlist. Sometimes I would select all ballads and live with the ballad results irregardless of the genre.

I went through the library node wiki and got a little confused to get an idea of what each ID tag equals vs what is supposed to be specified in the library node. I installed an sqlite reader program to read off what is in the database. I see tables that that list album, album_artist, album_genre, albuminfosong, art, artist, content, cue, discography, genre, karaokedata, path, song, song_artist, song_genre and version. I also see strMoods, strStyles and strThemes. This could be a start though because I see this on the smart_playlists wiki page. But the curveball I see is that I do not see "style" or "themes" as a standard id3v2.3. I think I am missing something fundamental. Sorry for being a pest. Smile
Style and themes come from the online metadata sites. Just turn the option on in kodi config to get those extra database fields.

For example a theme could certainly be Christmas. There should be no need to use custom tags really.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11