Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What do you use Kodi for?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I know there is a big list of banned add ons for piracy reasons, so my question is if you are not using kodi for that what do you mainly use kodi for? Thanks!
kodi is a piece of multi purpose software.
i use it to shave my legs.
Music from FreeMusicArchive.org is just one example
Toggle my light switch.
(2016-05-25, 01:07)ricearoni1024 Wrote: [ -> ]I know there is a big list of banned add ons for piracy reasons, so my question is if you are not using kodi for that what do you mainly use kodi for? Thanks!

You mean, besides being a music player and video player for my legally owned media library?

Kodi is also the interface for my DVR/PVR recording software, connected to a cable tuner and my paid cable tv subscription.

Kodi acts as an app launcher for Netflix and other apps on my Android-based TV boxes.

Kodi displays notifications on my TV from my phone, and can even pause video playback when I get a phone call.

Kodi can display lots of data, such as weather information, sports scores, RSS feeds, and even cocktail recipes (really).

Kodi can display an idle screensaver using family photos, news items, nature/NASA photos, trippy video loops, or just about anything else since it is so configurable.

Kodi can playback physical media such as DVDs, if you have a DVD drive.

Kodi can playback FM radio signals with the right backend software and tuner hardware. Along with local music playback and a car-centric skin, Kodi is used in a small head unit with a 5" screen in my car (actually retired from that since my personal car is broken, but it will be restored in the future).

Using UPnP, I sometimes send videos, music, or pictures to Kodi from my phone.

Sometimes I even use Kodi to watch movie trailers to see what movie I want to watch in a physical movie theater.

all of these things, with a TV-centric interface, that works with a basic remote control.

In the future Kodi will also be able to play emulators and games, too.
Apart from the usual video and PVR playback I recently have been using it a lot as a "spotify player" since my pi running libreelec is hooked into the main sound system. As I dont have a music collection, it turns out spotify + airplay + airfoil + artist slideshow results in an awesome combination.

Last week helped my brother making his raspberry pi to close his eletric blinks as soon as he starts a movie in Kodi from his NAS.

Kodi is so many things it gets hard to define.
Aside from the normal media player thing, I created an add-on that powers on/off my home server, because Kodi is on a Pi, and my home server is a custom built workhorse that I don't want sucking down electricity 24/7 when not necessary.
It plays files. That's what it was built for. Why are people baffled that it's primarily a thing to play files? D:
i use it for banned addons
I dont actually watch/listen/view anything on KODI anymore lol. It was more a way to learn python Smile

So an educational tool.
Although I should not say this in public, I use Kodi to watch KordKutters episodes Big Grin
(2016-05-25, 07:07)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]i use it for banned addons
Which ones?
(2016-05-25, 14:42)Vidman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-05-25, 07:07)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]i use it for banned addons
Which ones?

all of them
depend in which room i'm.
in the living room to view my local movies/tv shows, or netflix using flix2kodi, or stream music from youtube, in the bedroom to see on demand shows or live feeds and also in bathroom uder the shower listening music from radio addon.
I use it to maintain my cynical nature and lack of faith in humanity.
Pages: 1 2 3 4