Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio skips in Kodi 16.1 (OS X 10.8)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody.

Long, long time user of XBMC here.

Nowadays my (main) setup is as follows:

- OS X 10.8.5
- Mac Mini 2013 (I think). i7 2.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM.
- Connected via HDMI to a LG TV
- Kodi 16.1 installed from dmg

My problem appears when playing media in Kodi. VLC has not the same problem.
It started about a couple of months ago, but I have no exact date.

If I start playing a movie / TV show / video, after a while (it usually takes several minutes) the sound will skip for about one second. Then it will be fine for a few seconds (or minutes, it depends) and will skip again.

It happens with SD and HD videos, avi and mkv containers. If I go back and play the same segment again, sound will be fine.

If I check the logs, it seems that whenever the sound skips I get a message like this:

CDVDPlayerAudio::OutputPacket skipping a packets of duration 21

I've googled it, but I haven't found how to solve the problem.

I've started a movie and let it play until the first skip happened. Here's the full log:

http://pastebin.com/d2wr6nUL

I'd be very grateful if someone could provide some insight.

Thanks in advance!

Notes:
- A reinstall of Kodi 16.1 on top of the current setup won't fix it.
- A reinstall from scratch won't fix it. It keeps me entertained for a while, 'though. Plugins, subtitles, keymaps....
- Playing the same video with other players (VLC) works every time.
Hi there. I'm having the same issue, after a while the audio starts dropping out randomly. Up until last week I was using my Windows 10 HTPC, but the motherboard died, so I've switched to using my iMac.

Same as previous poster, VLC plays the files fine, the problem only happens in Kodi.

I've connected one of the Thunderbolt/miniDisplayPort ports on my iMac to a miniDisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter, to my Denon reciever.

Here are my specs and a link to the log:

http://pastebin.com/PjYQ9U3W

27-inch iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display (2014)
Mac OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan
24GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048MB
Kodi 16.1

Thanks for any help, have a nice day.
Some suggestions.

1. Disable passthrough - instead set your speakerconfig to 5.1 in kodi (this will let kodi decode the ac3 and dts 5.1 streams and feed them to the avr as multi channel pcm)
2. Consider enabling refreshrate adaption (this will switch the display to the refreshrate matching the fps of the movie you are looking).
3. Play with the sync to display setting (which can also compensate refreshrate differences)

1. might already cure your problem ...
Hi again, unfortunately the audio is still dropping out. I tried disabling Passthrough, and playing with the refresh rate options, no luck.

Here's a new log with passthrough disabled:

http://pastebin.com/gADMguEY

Just for kicks I installed Kodi on my Windows 10 Boot Camp drive on the same Mac, and the audio from there passes through properly.

Thanks
there is an airplay device somewhere in your network which keeps coming and going - osx adds and removes it to the available audio devices and due to the audio engine architecture in kodi this always results in a reinit of the audio device

try to identify what it is and remove it from your lan for a test (does your denon avr support airplay? that might already be it...
Code:
19:18:56 T:123145307209728  NOTICE:         m_deviceName      : AirPlay:stream0
19:18:56 T:123145307209728  NOTICE:         m_displayName     : AirPlay
19:18:56 T:123145307209728  NOTICE:         m_displayNameExtra: AirPlayNullEndpointAudioDataSource
Nice find...Will try that out tonight. Thanks again!
So I was able to test this out. Turns out since I'd installed my new router a couple weeks back, my Denon wasn't getting an IP properly, or some thing.
Anyway I sorted that out on the router, and now AirPlay works, and the audio from Kodi is no longer dropping out.
Well done tracking that down, seems to have solved it for me. Thanks so much!
(2016-07-07, 18:34)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]there is an airplay device somewhere in your network which keeps coming and going - osx adds and removes it to the available audio devices and due to the audio engine architecture in kodi this always results in a reinit of the audio device

try to identify what it is and remove it from your lan for a test (does your denon avr support airplay? that might already be it...
Code:
19:18:56 T:123145307209728  NOTICE:         m_deviceName      : AirPlay:stream0
19:18:56 T:123145307209728  NOTICE:         m_displayName     : AirPlay
19:18:56 T:123145307209728  NOTICE:         m_displayNameExtra: AirPlayNullEndpointAudioDataSource

I think that I installed an Apple TV 4 in the bedroom around the same time the audio glitches started. I'll try to watch a movie tomorrow with the Apple TV off and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

Edit: It DID make a difference. Thanks a lot!