Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What is the inefficency in Kodi for HEVC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2016-06-05, 18:15)DJ_Izumi Wrote: [ -> ]I can't seem to actually test OpenELEC. I can't get the beta to start up beyond a black screen with a mouse cursor on any of three Intel Machines I'm testing it on.

Sorry, I wanna provide a log but if it won't start, it won't start.

As, assuming this is due to Windows Kodi being limited to 32bit and I've seen plenty of threads of people asking about 64bit windows builds all being dismissed over the years, if the 32bit Win32 application is the problem, this will continue to be a problem that goes unaddressed?

I hope it gets changed to 64 bit. Personally I think that 32 bit is history. I don't use any 32 bit OS and in general don't have 32bit compatibility libs installed on Linux. I vote for letting 32 bit die.
Yeah - most likely we all "vote" that but there is a lot of work involved, especially for Paxxi with all the dependencies. FFmpeg intrinsics and asm optimizations though is a really, really big argument for that move.
Here, try that img: http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/openelec/...sch.img.gz (gunzip it) and dd it to an usb stick. It's old and has old threading behaviour, but we can at least see if the ASM / intrinsics do change something for you.
Assuming Samba is working in OpenELEC (even though Kodi fails to boot), then @DJ_Izumi should be able to update to the latest LibreELEC test build which might work better.

LE upgrade via Samba: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1989401
I'm not a programmer, so I might be mistaken, but...

Wouldn't a really easy test be to compare the 32 bits and 64 bits versions of MPC HC with your file DJ Izumi? They supply both versions as portable executables.

If the 32 bits MPC HC is still so much better/faster than Kodi 32 bits, you can almost rule that aspect out.
(2016-06-09, 13:22)willemd Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not a programmer, so I might be mistaken, but...

Wouldn't a really easy test be to compare the 32 bits and 64 bits versions of MPC HC with your file DJ Izumi? They supply both versions as portable executables.

If the 32 bits MPC HC is still so much better/faster than Kodi 32 bits, you can almost rule that aspect out.

This is a good idea! I got surprisingly mixed results. The Japanese 4K 60hz clip I was testing WAS playable on 32bit MPC-HC it had higher CPU spikes, some even up to 95%, but overall it seemed to manage 60fps. However the The Samsung UHD clip linked on this thread buries the needle on MPC-HC 32bit and it stutters, managing fairly equal performance to Kodi under Windows. I'm a bit confused as to why BOTH are unplayable on Kodi while only ONE is on MPC-HC, but I think this gives a better comparison issues with 32bit FFMPEG. I still do want to test 64bit Linux Kodi but I'm doing a 68hr week so my time to kajigger with Live USBs is limited.
Pages: 1 2 3