Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is KODI's HEVC and MP4 decoders Quad Threaded?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is KODI's HEVC decoder quad threaded? I have a Core2Duo tower and a Core2Duo laptop that can both be upgraded to 3.0GHZ Core2Quads (neither decodes HEVC perfectly right now, the Desktop almost can)

But i know ALOT of devs have been assuming everyone has 100+ dollars to shell out on a ''modern and efficient'' overpriced intel dual core i3 that can match up to a 30 dollar Core2Quad so i wanted to make sure KODI will actually use all 4 cores. The 2 systems will be

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Certified Power Supply
EVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 Overclocked
2 EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core216 Superclocked video cards in SLI
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum with Breakout box
ASUS Falcon2 PCI TV Tuner Card
8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHZ RAM
3 Seagate Barracuda Hard Drives (80GB OS, 500GB DATA, 1TB Media)
Blu-ray Drive

and the laptop would be

Windows 7 UItimate x64
ASI Electronics HLB0 Laptop
Intel Core2Quad P8400 @ 2.5GHZ
Intel GMA 4500MHD with Dynamic Shared Memory
8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Memory
320GB Hard Drive

I also have a already assembled tower that i would like to know if is capable of hardware HEVC Decoding

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Dell Optiplex 330 Motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q8300 @ 2.5GHZ
4GB PNY Optima DDR2 667MHZ
Creative Labs Soundblaster X-FI Go! Pro
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX750TI 2GB
2TB Storage (I wont list the individual drives, it has like 6)

and id like to know if this laptop could handle MP4 decoding @ 720p

Windows 7 Professional x86
Gateway M685E Laptop
Intel CoreDuo Proccesor @ 1.66GHZ
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 128MB
1GB DDR2 800MHZ
500GB Hard Drive

The desktops will be decoding 1080p (when i get a 4k screen then i can justify moving to a Core i5)
The laptop will mostly be decoding 720p

Im assuming average bitrates for all resolutions.

Im wanting to start converting all my stuff to HEVC since that roughly doubles my storage efficieny but until KODI has officially moved to full quad threading im not. I dont intend to move to a socket other than LGA775 until prices for first and 2nd gen Core I series proccessors fall down where they should be (sub 50 dollars) based on there age.

I know theres alot of questions in this thread i appreciate any input. Thanks in advance
Gtx750Ti helps in decoding with DXVA-2 activated, first of all.

I have a [email protected] GHz and with software decoding all four cores are used, no problem with 1080p HEVC.
Using all cores of a multiple core CPU's is left to the o/s to handle. The new 10 core Intel chips, would need software support to enable all ten cores in action, and within the o/s of windows you can specify individual cores for select tasks. Kodi is still stuck in 32 bit heaven.