Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How do I start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am an XUbuntu user, but perhaps an unusual one because I do everything I can to avoid using the terminal. I am interested in Kodi, so yesterday I installed Kodibuntu on a spare machine. It seems that my machine will be running either Kodi or Ubuntu, but I have to log out of one to get into the other. Is this correct, or am I being stupid. It would seem very clumsy to have to close Kodi every time I want to use a browser or word processor.

My first tasks will be to get my NAS loaded and VPN started on Bootup. Do I have to exit Kodi to do this kind of activity.

I have gone to the getting started wiki, but the first things I find are Terminal commands. So far i can't even see the terminal.

Would I be better just to install Kodi within Xubuntu, rather than going for the full distro.

Help will be gratefully appreciated.
Hi

Thanks for the assistance, but I have seen this, and as far as Kodibuntu is concerned I didn't find it too helpful. It seems to say that I have to log out of Kodi to use Ubuntu, but I find it hard to believe I'm reading this correctly.

If this is the case, is there any disadvantage in installing Kodi inside XUbuntu, rather than using the distro.

The rest of the quick start guide seem promising, and rather better written than many open source software manuals I've seen. If I ever get sufficient understanding of the subject matter this is an area I may be able to contribute to. Before my retirement I did have considerable experience in writing manuals.
kodibuntu is made to be appliance like, which means it starts kodi automatically in standalone mode.
However, once you switch to the desktop, you can start kodi there just like any other app via start menu.
Is there any advantage in using the distro.
Yes. you get kodi installed without using the commandline.

Not sure why you have a problem with it though. You seem to be able to type.
Thanks. In that case I'll load Kodi inside XUbuntu.

You are right, of course, I am able to use the terminal with assistance, though I don't have sufficient knowledge to do much. How do I mark this as solved.