Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is it possible to access an external hdd drive conected in the router?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all, Hi everyone, that's my first post here, so there is a high probability of my question have already been answared in another thread... if this is the case, I ask you guys please give me the right directions!

I have kodi on my sony android tv, and I want to know if it is possible to access an external hard drive that in attached in my router ( TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 ), to watch my personal videos and access fotos and files in general, throught network.

If there is a tutorial somewhere, please paste the link here. I'm brazilian, so english isn't my native language and due to this limitation I couldn't browse a topic discussing that.

Thank you very much for any help! Blush
From the product page, it sounds like it should support SMB (wiki). You just need to do this: adding video sources (wiki)

Basically, click "add videos" -> Browse -> then look through the SMB/ Windows sharing option. You should see your router listed and the USB drives that are connected to it. You can add a direct sub folder, or just the whole router, etc.
As long as you are able to connect/access a hard drive connected to your router from a windows/unix/linux machine in your network, you'll be able to do the same from within kodi.Nod

As mentioned before, you just need to add the network location from within the file commander or if you want to add those videos to your database use videos->add videos->browse->add network location. There in most cases you choose Windows network (SMB) and browse to the server location. Use the user credentials you created to access that drive/router and you should be fine.
You guys are awsome! It did work! Thank you very much!