Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SMB share formatted with REFS on Windows 10 doesn't show all contents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have tried searching, but i haven't found any results on the forums about this yet. I upgraded to Windows 10 and am running an REFS volume with my media. However, if i view the share via my raspberry pi or my Android installation, it will only show about 30 or so of the contents of any given folder. Apparently i've seen on forums like Openelec that Windows 8.1 and REFS was working fine, but Windows 10 REFS no longer works. Is this a known issue? If not, please let me know if i can help in any way to get you more information.

in all fairness, i'm running Openelec on my raspberry pi, but the Openelec forum has stated it was an issue with the core Kodi, and i confirmed that the issue still existed with the Android installation on my Kindle Fire. So, it does look like it is also in the Kodi core system.

I would also like to note that if Kodi is running from within Windows 10, there is no issue getting to all the contents of the share running on REFS.

Sorry, if this has already been posted, but i did not find anything regarding REFS when i searched for forums.
Moved to OS independent forum as it is no a Pi specific issue.
That's fine with me. After i posted it, i did think that the OS Independent area may have been a better fit. Thanks.
I have exactly same issue. Share on windows 10 ReFs and kodi is not able to list all directories in it.
ReFS shares I believe are using SMBv3, this might be an compatibility issuing with the version we are using
(2016-07-29, 06:20)Kib Wrote: [ -> ]ReFS shares I believe are using SMBv3, this might be an compatibility issuing with the version we are using
correct, SMB3 is not supported by kodi. This probably won't change anytime soon, since thanks to their new build system, samba 4 is almost impossible to cross compile for all our platforms

As a workaround, you can mount the shares on OS level.
maybe time to bring in libdsm Smile
maybe, but "TODO: Support more of the SMBv2 and v3 protocols." doesn't sound it's better then samba 3.
Haha, that readme has not been updated for 7-8 months now. It is very stale.

At this time, there is only one issue that I know about for libdsm. And that one is under active investigation by a competent person.

https://github.com/videolabs/libdsm/issues/80

libdsm is 10 times smaller than smbclient, you don't have to play silly off_t games to get it to work on android and the build is 25+ times faster. Time to kick samba to the curb if you ask me.
I've got a reproducible case and Wireshark capture of the offending traffic. Attached the trace to http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17405

It seems that the problem is in parsing the FIND_NEXT2 SMB response, since the data in that response never finds its way into KODI
I posted replies on a different thread and didn't catch this one. so here is the summary -

I can confirm the same issue on my end ever since ~v.16.x
I too am using Linux clients (OpenELEC / LibreELEC) on both Intel and Pi hardware.
I too am using ReFS on my Windows Server 2016 (previously had same issue on 2012 R2).

I have disabled the SMBv2 & SMBv3 support on my windows server (via - "Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $false" powershell command).
This did not make any difference.

I have also tried looking at an NTFS folder (on the same server) having more than 100 files and it worked fine.

I am more than happy to test out things for the devs or supply logs/net-captures as needed.

P.S. - if anyone has a relatively simple workaround for the time being, which does not require moving 12TB of data, I am all eyes and ears! :-)
More issues related to this same problem have come up recently which are forcing me to move more and more data to an NTFS volume to allow it to be played successfully. Here is my configuration which has been working just fine for a while.
- Windows 10 constantly running a "headless" version of Kodi for the purpose of scanning my media and keeping the MySQL database updated with my media.
- 1 Windows 10 HTPC system connecting to same MySQL db
- 1 LibreELEC HTPC running on an Xtreamer Ultra connecting to same MySQL db
- 1 LibreELEC HTPC running on a Raspberry PI B+ connecting to same MySQL db

Since my Windows 10 system scans my shares, it is able to index everything into the DB and the clients were able to play almost anything (even shows or movies which do not get listed when browsing shares directly on LibreELEC clients). The only Shows which had issues and i had to put them on a separate NTFS volume was anime shows which just continuously run in sequential numbers. So i have hundreds of files in the same folder. Then, when trying to play them from LibreELEC clients it would claim the file was not there. All other shows and movies used to work just fine.

Suddenly, I'm getting issues when attempting to play specific episodes of other shows which are separated by seasons. However, there is no rhyme or reason to this. For one show with 20 episodes in one season, all worked fine, then the 21st episode gets released and the 21st episode and beyond won't play on LibreELEC. However, there are some shows with currently 23+ episodes, and they are all working fine. Even previous seasons which had 23+ episodes all work fine when playing. I thought it was a path character limit issue, but a working episode in the same show (e.g. 6th episode in the same season) with a longer file name works perfectly fine. So, it doesn't look like a hard limit of x number of files in one folder cause this issue, so this is starting to get really frustrating (sssshh, don't tell anyone, but i've even thought about switching to Plex, although i'd hate to have to do it).

I would love to continue using REFS for my file system since REFS is a perfect file system for media of this type. It is made for long term storage and serving media. If there is anything that i can also do to help with figuring out this issue, please let me know. I would love to be able to consolidate my media all to REFS once again instead of having to jump through hoops to get my media to work on my other clients. Thanks.
Do you have any other windows pc's? if so you can try installing Kodi in order to try connecting to your Windows 10 pc with the REFS file system via smb. This would prove whether the issue is possibly only with linux kernel OS's utilising the samba library, as the Windows client doesn't use samba since it can make use the native smb built into Windows.
I can confirm this does not work on Windows 10. It seems that Kodi will need to be built to support REFS.
(2017-05-11, 22:29)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have any other windows pc's? if so you can try installing Kodi in order to try connecting to your Windows 10 pc with the REFS file system via smb. This would prove whether the issue is possibly only with linux kernel OS's utilising the samba library, as the Windows client doesn't use samba since it can make use the native smb built into Windows.
Sorry for the late reply.  As opposed to chrisohearn's comment, navigating REFS shares from a separate windows 10 machine running Kodi does work just fine.  It is able to see all contents of the shares without issues.

I have also tested the newest v18 nightly on a Kindle Fire and it was also able to see all contents of my REFS shares.  However, any v17 build has not worked even the 17.5.  I have not tried 17.6 yet, but that didn't seem to have any big changes in regards to this issue.

So, this looks like it could be resolved in the v18 release, but I would have liked to see this fix in the v17 releases.  Guess i will just have to upgrade to v18 as soon as i can once that is finalized.  Thanks.
Pages: 1 2