Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi on Windows 10 remote box help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I'm running Kodi on my computer in the family room. There is no mouse or keyboard and I used to just remote in, do whatever and then jump out. With windows 10, it wants a password which doesn't work very well with Kodi on a computer in a remote location. I've installed RDPWrap which is creating multiple sessions and not really ideal and was wondering how other people are dealing with this with Windows 10. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has Kodi on a computer somewhere else that needs to remote in.

So basically I need to be able to get into the computer running windows 10 and then when I'm done have it up and showing the Kodi screen and not locked with a welcome screen or anything that I have no way to unlock in the family room.

Thanks in advance.
I use power settings to:

- Go to sleep when powering off
- Not ask for a password when returning from sleep

That eliminates the password for all but reboots and full power downs. For those, I've created a machine id and use that to login. I then set the password to 1 (anything numeric will do) so - using a Microsoft remote compatible - I just press '1' and 'OK' on the remote to get past the password prompt.

HTH,

Andy
What I have done, since it is only for kodi, and it is in the living room, I have set it to auto logon and I use real vnc for remote sessions.
(2016-06-03, 19:21)AndyHenderson Wrote: [ -> ]I use power settings to:

- Go to sleep when powering off
- Not ask for a password when returning from sleep

That eliminates the password for all but reboots and full power downs. For those, I've created a machine id and use that to login. I then set the password to 1 (anything numeric will do) so - using a Microsoft remote compatible - I just press '1' and 'OK' on the remote to get past the password prompt.

HTH,

Andy

But the problem I had before with win 7 and assume I would have again is I would remote in and it would lock out the screen in the living room. I would run some bat file to unlock it back to normal which doesn't seem to work with windows 10. So if I remote in and then disconnect, will Kodi still be running out there without a login screen? I'm assuming the sleep thing is because you don't leave it running 24/7?
You don't have to have a password on Win10 unless you are using a Microsoft Account. Assuming you don't need OneDrive or any of the syncing, you can go into SETTINGS and find ACCOUNTS. Under YOUR EMAIL AND ACCOUNTS you will see in blue the option to "Sign in with a local account instead". This will then let Win10 work just like older operating systems (7, Vista, XP). It only logs in to the local PC then and no cloudy stuff. And a local user can be set with no password.

Personally I use TeamViewer to remote control my KODI box if I am not on the sofa holding KODI's own keyboard.
(2016-06-03, 20:45)BatterPudding Wrote: [ -> ]You don't have to have a password on Win10 unless you are using a Microsoft Account. Assuming you don't need OneDrive or any of the syncing, you can go into SETTINGS and find ACCOUNTS. Under YOUR EMAIL AND ACCOUNTS you will see in blue the option to "Sign in with a local account instead". This will then let Win10 work just like older operating systems (7, Vista, XP). It only logs in to the local PC then and no cloudy stuff. And a local user can be set with no password.

Personally I use TeamViewer to remote control my KODI box if I am not on the sofa holding KODI's own keyboard.

You don't you are right, but then it doens't work for remote desktop. Windows 7 did, windows 10 just logs you out. So I'm using RDPWrap now which gives me a second session but its messy and I'm trying to find a better solution. But ideally while its the Kodi box, its also the computer I use to do most things so was hoping there was nice clean solution. Otherwise I can set a password but then I have to figure out how to unlock it without a keyboard or mouse at the local machine.
Does anyone know of something that will unlock without a keyboard and mouse at the local machine? I have unified remote on my phone that I can use as a mouse out there, supposedly it will work on the login screen, but isn't working for me. Be much simpler to just set a password.
Can you just get some non-microsoft remote admin tool to use instead? TeamViewer, Radmin, VNC? Especially if it is in side your home network. TeamViewer has a client for your phone too.

I use TeamViewer because I have to use it for work. TeamViewer can then happily work either side of a Windows logon screen. Though I tend to setup my Win10 KODI PC to not lock on screen saver. It only locks on a reboot from updates.

Could do the same with VNC or many other remote control tools. (I know people like Chrome Desktop Remote, but I don't know if that can do the login for you)

An alternative cheap solution is just get a keyboard and enter a simple password like noted by AndyHenderson. These little guys are great: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masrole-Wireles...01B1NT0M8/
Well I started using team viewer and chrome remote desktop. The problem is Chrome remote uses a lot of CPU and Team viewer starts out light and is currently burning 50% of the cpu.

My concern is that I set a password, use remote desktop, disconnect and then the screen is sitting at the login screen waiting for someone to login, is there a way around that for Windows 10?
I don't know how to make RDP not logout the desktop. All I can say is what I do with TeamViewer. That can be set to not logout after the session is quit. It may be a CPU chewer when it is connected, but as you are only connecting to login and\or change settings then that shouldn't be an issue. It is not as if you will be running TeamViewer when watching something on the screen.

It is also worth going to the Downloads page of TeamViewer and installing Teamviewer Host on the KODI PC. I'm a paid business user of the software and previously needed to reduce CPU usage on an old XP box that I had to monitor. This was the lowest CPU usage version at the time.

I only login to my KODI PC once a month, after an update. I rely on the physical security of my locked front door to protect this PC.

Another alternative:
If you want to setup the PC to do an autologin after a reboot, you can make use of netplwiz

http://www.howtogeek.com/112919/how-to-m...matically/

Just be aware that that method will put your password into a readable place in the registry. So make sure the username \ password is only of use on this KODI PC.