Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't get MCE remote to work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a PCDuino8 Android TV box (AllWinner H8 8-Core Cortex-A7) with Kodi Isengard installed. It works fine with the supplied IR remote, but there are no dedicated transport buttons (play, stop, pause, etc.), forcing me to browse to find the on-screen transport buttons - major pain. I have a Hama 52451 MCE remote, which simulates the MS Media Center keypresses - but it doesn't work at all with my setup.

I tried finding the MCEremote addon in the KODI repository but it isn't there. So I downloaded the .zip file and tried installing that, but was presented with the error message "addon does not have the proper structure".

I also have a URC MX-450 universal remote; if I can get the MCE remote working, I'll be able to program that into my MX-450 so I'll have one remote for my whole media system.

Or perhaps one of you happens to know if the URC MX-450 has any features that might allow me to use it with KODI / Android by calling up an internal device type, bypassing the need for my MCE remote?

Many thanks!!
It's quite understandable why the MCE remote doesn't work. It uses a different IR-protocol. The supplied remote probably uses the NEC protocol, whereas the MCE uses RC6. Your box probably doesn't have a driver for that to interpret the IR-commands send by the MCE.

If you now how, you can find out if it does by reading the dmesg entries. If RC6 is supported, It would look something like this:

Code:
0.850188] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 253
0.854634] IR NEC protocol handler initialized
0.857762] IR RC5(x) protocol handler initialized
0.861069] IR RC6 protocol handler initialized
0.864196] IR JVC protocol handler initialized
0.867317] IR Sony protocol handler initialized
0.870503] IR RC5 (streamzap) protocol handler initialized
0.874347] IR MCE Keyboard/mouse protocol handler initialized
0.878371] IR LIRC bridge handler initialized
Me and a friend at work are just working on this problem. Using one of these:

http://www.gearbest.com/boards-shields/pp_226799.html

and an ir receiver (can be just about any ir receiver scrapped from an old device, but I bought a bag of 36Mhz receivers on ebay for a few bucks)

we made our own usb remote receivers. it essentially can be used to see the codes coming in from any remote and then send keyboard presses to the android. I programmed mine for most every button on my mce remote and tested it last night. So far so good. Nice to have an actual working remote for Kodi on the mxq box.

I think for the final version I will hijack the original mce remote receiver dongle and put the arduino board in there so it will look and act just like the original (and also so I can position it close to where I sit for best ir reception). Best part is now this new receiver will work for any system.

More info here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/using-an-infr...are-needed

It's not really all that hard, this is my first arduino project and it went pretty smooth. If anyone is interested I can supply my sketch code for the key presses.