Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No HW acceleration with NV GTX 960
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I have an issue with Kodi 16.1 and my new Nvidia GTX 960. My system specs are Windows 7 32 bit and the latest driver for the graphics card (downloaded and installed today).
I have enabled Render method = automatic, Allow HW acceleration DXVA2 = enabled.

The GTX 960 have HW HEVC decoding support. Every time i play a 4k test file my CPU is about 100% and the picture stuck. No matter which test file i play, always the same crappy result.
It seems Kodi doesn't use the HW acceleration of the GPU.

Quit Kodi and if i play the test files with MPC (all default settings) the CPU is about idle and the files are playing smooth. So i assume HW acceleration is working.
I have downloaded a test file with HEVC,10bit,4k,400MBit/s and it's playing fine, in MPC with Kodi no chance.

Do you have any idea whats wrong? It seems Kodi doesn't use the GPU.
Kodi 16.1 doesn't support hevc main10 hardware decoding. only Kodi 17 can use hw decoding for hevc 10bit.
Today i have tried Kodi 17 nightly. I got the same result. HW acceleration is switches on but the test file is not playable. The same file, the same PC with MPC-HC the test file is working fine.
Is HEVC HW decoding useless with Kodi or do i need a different OS instead of Win7 32bit?

my log: http://pastebin.com/jjdZdFft
Does nobody have a clue?

Maybe someone who is using a NVidia GTX 960 or 950 can tell me which specs he has. I can't imagine Kodi isn't capable to drive 4k / HEVC with a HW supported GPU in backend.

This driving me nuts. Because MPC is working out of the box.

As said i have tested Kodi 16 and Kodi 17 on Windows 7 32bit and latest NVidia driver for the GPU.
I have no clue because an error occurred on surfaces creation for decoder with no reason.
Did you get any answer to this, or get it to work?. I just picked up an NEC X651UHD display as a first step to upgrading to 4k output. I was looking at the GX 960 as I understand its the only card that has HW decoding of H.265 video. Currently I have an ATI Radeon R7 250 passive cooled GPU and like you I just get 100% utilization on all 4 CPU cores when I try to play 4K content :-(

Currently still on Kodi 16.1 and Win 10 - 64

Any suggestions welcome on what GPU will currently take the load off my aged Core 2 quad CPU and allow good 4k @ 60hz playback over DP1.2) !!

Cheers Dave
Yes and No. I have updated my OS from Win7 32bit to Win10 64bit.

Installed the latest driver and BAMMM, Kodi works out of the box. With my GTX960 and Kodi17 nighties i'm able to play 4k content up to 400Mbit/s (the test files i have downloaded)

So i assume a driver fail in Windows 7. I have tried many drivers with Win7 but never had luck. So my choice to try Win 10 and success. I hate Win10 but it's working.

If you want a powerful HTPC buy a Nvidia 950 or 960 (doesn't matter for playback because both cards have the same playback power so no need for a 960) and use Win 10 64bit.
Maybe Linux works too but i have never tried.
(2016-07-31, 04:24)_Andy_ Wrote: [ -> ]Yes and No. I have updated my OS from Win7 32bit to Win10 64bit.

Installed the latest driver and BAMMM, Kodi works out of the box. With my GTX960 and Kodi17 nighties i'm able to play 4k content up to 400Mbit/s (the test files i have downloaded)

So i assume a driver fail in Windows 7. I have tried many drivers with Win7 but never had luck. So my choice to try Win 10 and success. I hate Win10 but it's working.

If you want a powerful HTPC buy a Nvidia 950 or 960 (doesn't matter for playback because both cards have the same playback power so no need for a 960) and use Win 10 64bit.
Maybe Linux works too but i have never tried.

Thanks for reply.I'm already running windows 10 so no issue there, can I check do you know if the card needs to be the 4GB variant or will 2GB do the job. Wont be using for gaming purely HTPC

Cheers
(2016-07-31, 04:24)_Andy_ Wrote: [ -> ]So i assume a driver fail in Windows 7. I have tried many drivers with Win7 but never had luck. So my choice to try Win 10 and success. I hate Win10 but it's working.
I think that Windows Platfrom Update for Windows 7 wasn't installed.
For video playback in 4k the 2GB is pretty enough. You need maybe more RAM if you want a multi display solution with 2 or more displays in 4k or more. But for one display in 4k choose the 2GB and save money.
Thank you, i had the same problem with 10bit hevc. Today i test Kodi 17 and i hope its work
(2016-07-31, 15:12)_Andy_ Wrote: [ -> ]For video playback in 4k the 2GB is pretty enough. You need maybe more RAM if you want a multi display solution with 2 or more displays in 4k or more. But for one display in 4k choose the 2GB and save money.

Thank, only planning on using the one screen (main PVR display in lounge (NEC X651UHD). I have now sourced a reasonably cheap/used 950 2GB Card and will test it this week,

Actually Kodi 17 seems to handle the H.265 files better than 16.1 did even without the GPU HW decoding. I get much less stutter now (even though all 4 CPU cores are still working virtually 100%)

Really interesting to see what CPU usage drops to when I've swapped out my Radeon R7 250 Ultimate GPU with the GTX 950. Hope this sorts out my 4k issues!
(2016-08-03, 14:21)i0zjh02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-07-31, 15:12)_Andy_ Wrote: [ -> ]For video playback in 4k the 2GB is pretty enough. You need maybe more RAM if you want a multi display solution with 2 or more displays in 4k or more. But for one display in 4k choose the 2GB and save money.

Thank, only planning on using the one screen (main PVR display in lounge (NEC X651UHD). I have now sourced a reasonably cheap/used 950 2GB Card and will test it this week,

Actually Kodi 17 seems to handle the H.265 files better than 16.1 did even without the GPU HW decoding. I get much less stutter now (even though all 4 CPU cores are still working virtually 100%)

Really interesting to see what CPU usage drops to when I've swapped out my Radeon R7 250 Ultimate GPU with the GTX 950. Hope this sorts out my 4k issues!

GTX 950 Installed and now when playing 4k H.265 files @ 60 Hz CPU is < 10%, and super smooth. Definite result and worth the £85 for used GPU