Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SDL difficulties
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, guys. I'm attempting to get XBMC running on my Feisty box, and I'm running into some difficulties. It compiles fine, but running it is another story.

I'm fairly familiar with Linux in general including a couple of years of experience on embedded platforms in my job. Ubuntu and SDL on the other hand...

First problem, SDL is trying to use the framebuffer. Well, I don't have a fb device available, but it shouldn't be writing directly to the framebuffer anyway, should it?
Code:
herg@leela:~/projects/XBMC$ ./XboxMediaCenter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting XBoxMediaCenter.  Built on Aug 14 2007
Q is mapped to: /home/herg/projects/XBMC
The executeable running is: /home/herg/projects/XBMC/XboxMediaCenter
Log File is located: /home/herg/projects/XBMC/xbmc.log
  lastloaded: 0
Setup SDL

---------------------- DirectFB v0.9.25 ---------------------
             (c) 2000-2002  convergence integrated media GmbH
             (c) 2002-2004  convergence GmbH
        -----------------------------------------------------------

(*) DirectFB/Core: Single Application Core. (2006-12-20 21:25)
(*) Direct/Memcpy: Using libc memcpy()
(!) Direct/Util: opening '/dev/fb0' and '/dev/fb/0' failed
    --> No such file or directory
(!) DirectFB/FBDev: Error opening framebuffer device!
(!) DirectFB/FBDev: Use 'fbdev' option or set FRAMEBUFFER environment variable.
(!) DirectFB/Core: Could not initialize 'system' core!
    --> Initialization error!
XBAppEx: Unable to initialize SDL: DirectFBCreate: Initialization error!
Running the application...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

So, I tell it to use x11 instead.
Code:
herg@leela:~/projects/XBMC$ export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=x11
herg@leela:~/projects/XBMC$ ./XboxMediaCenter
Starting XBoxMediaCenter.  Built on Aug 14 2007
Q is mapped to: /home/herg/projects/XBMC
The executeable running is: /home/herg/projects/XBMC/XboxMediaCenter
Log File is located: /home/herg/projects/XBMC/xbmc.log
  lastloaded: 0
Setup SDL
XBAppEx: Unable to initialize SDL: No available video device
Running the application...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Hmmm... I've used envy to configure the latest driver for my card (GeForce 6600 LE). Maybe it's running at the wrong bitdepth.
Code:
herg@leela:~/projects/XBMC$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder3)  Wed Jun 13 18:39:30 PDT 2007

***BORING STUFF REMOVED***

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600 LE]"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600 LE]"
    Monitor        "CPD-L181A"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       1
        Modes      "1024x768" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Just a quick update. I built XBMC with --disable-gl, and while it still doesn't work with my video card, I can direct it to a VNC display. I do not see text, but I do get the home screen with images and such.

Pretty much confirms that it is a video card configuration problem.
What version of the nvidia drivers are you using?
Post the output of glxinfo.
Thanks for the response, but I dragged the box into the living room and hooked it up to the Plasma, and it is working fine now. I guess the crappy LCD I have in the office was not playing well.

I still have no text, but that seems like a much more manageable problem.
If that's the text you see on the screen when the GUI appears, I have the same problem, look for an error about fonts in the terminal screen and you should be able to find the problem.

I've had this problem with three separate installs.
Probably because I'm using these instructions
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde...ource_code
and not using build.sh or the T3... script....not sure but copying the font over does work for me.
Use the damned build script! :p
I did. The problem was that I wasn't running out of the BUILD directory. Rolleyes

I only had a few minutes before I went to a friend's house, but I did try a quick video. A 720p x264 mkv at 70% CPU on a 2.6 GHz Celeron. Very nice.

I've wanted to build a HTPC for a while now, but couldn't find any software I liked nearly as well as XBMC. I guess it's time to buy a cheap sound card with digital out and figure out where I can help.
you can start by getting digital out going Smile
I'm trying to get xbmc-linux to work in VMware Fusion (on my power book).

VMware Fusion does not support openGL rendering (only DirectX 8.2) so running xbmc with enabled 3d support is extreamly slow..

When I compile xbmc without 3d support the fonts are not rendered at the correct positions, this is my log from xbmc without 3d support http://pastebin.com/m4e3fe86c . Have I made something wrong or is the 2d version broken?

(Running latest svn version 9952)
erlis Wrote:I'm trying to get xbmc-linux to work in VMware Fusion (on my power book).

VMware Fusion does not support openGL rendering (only DirectX 8.2) so running xbmc with enabled 3d support is extreamly slow..

When I compile xbmc without 3d support the fonts are not rendered at the correct positions, this is my log from xbmc without 3d support http://pastebin.com/m4e3fe86c . Have I made something wrong or is the 2d version broken?

(Running latest svn version 9952)
probably best if you start a new topic-thread for that issue
But thread-jacking is the way of the future!
Well, I think thread was pretty much done once I was no longer getting SDL messages, but since it doesn't warrant it's own thread, I'll respond here.

I ordered a Chaintech AV-710 audio card today, and I've started reading up on ALSA. I can't make any promises, but I'll give the digital output my best shot.
you run XboxMediaCenter from ./BUILD dir yes? Ubuntu is running X(gnome) as your user (whatever). If you build xbmc as root then go back to gnome and execute the XboxMediaCenter all the perms will be wrong.

had this problem, rm -rf XBMC and start the SVN process as the same user as you are logged into x(gnome) as. use the build.sh of course. It's confusing theres so man SUDO commands i just figured heck i'll sudo su - and do it all, but of course all your perms are setup to root instead of the user X(gnome) is running as.

this was my problem. i just clicked on "HOME" and went into xbmc/BUILD and ran the XboxMediaCenter and a few other bugs came up (font and calls for UserData, fixed that). You can open a terminal as well and run the program. But if you try to run as root it won't work, not sure why.

To me seeing 5 sudo's in a row i figure i'll save some keystrokes and sudo su - and continue but you make the assumption the build.sh runs as root when it should not.