Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi crashes every single night
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I am suddenly having problems with either Kodi or my computer or both. I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Some background info first...

- My HTPC specs are in my signature below. I am running Windows 10 64bit which I upgraded from Win 7 during early April 16. I have had no problems running Win 10
- The computer runs 24/7 and it is not used for anything else except KODI and i access the media content through my iPad and other computer at times.

Two weeks ago I made some changes as follows:
- I moved my setup into my new home theatre room.
- I upgraded my AV Receiver to the new Denon AVR X7200WA with Silver 8 Monitor Audio Speakers and a Krix Volcanix Subwoofer
- Ran new Cat 6 lines from my existing Gigabit Switch to the theatre room and installed a new D-Link 8 port Gigabit Switch to service the TV, AVR, HTPC, and Tivo. (internet is not always connected at the modem. Only as needed. LAN is 24/7)
- Installed a new 4TB WD internal hard drive in my HTPC.
- My previous setup had my TV as the hub for all connections. Now all components are connected into the AVR via HDMI, with one HDMI cable connecting the AVR to the TV.

Every morning since that day two weeks ago I have woken up to a crashed/unresponsive computer. Usually an empty desktop with an unresponsive Task Bar. Some times it is responsive and I just have to right click and close Kodi, restart Kodi and it works fine. Most times I have to force shutdown of the HTPC.

There are three messages displayed on the screen (not at the same time).....
1. Your Computer is Low on Memory. KODI is being shutdown. This is displayed every morning
2. KODI. ERROR: Error caught on main loop. Exiting. This is displayed at varying times.
3. KODI has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem. This is displayed at varying times

I have increased the size of my Virtual Memory. Initally to “System Managed” and this did not resolve the problem, so changed it again to “User Set” to a minimum of 4000MB and maximum of 8000MB. This did not solve the problem

I then purchased 16GB of RAM and installed it to give me a total of 24GB of RAM. This did not solve the problem.

I have checked the Windows System Logs and the following events have been logged...

Under Administrative Events

Faulting application name: Kodi.exe, version: 16.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x571c922e
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.10586.306, time stamp: 0x571afb7f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00026d79
Faulting process id: 0x166c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1c5373cd63463
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\Kodi.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 339b82c3-aec6-426c-83e3-a87aad49acaf
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Under Windows Logs - Application

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Kodi.exe
P2: 16.1.0.0
P3: 571c922e
P4: ntdll.dll
P5: 10.0.10586.306
P6: 571afb7f
P7: c0000005
P8: 00026d79
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Local\Temp\WERBC31.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Local\Temp\WERBD6C.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_Kodi.exe_53e0604d5d433974db4290bd36289c8c2425f8_f54098db_cab_006bbe25\memory.hdmp
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_Kodi.exe_53e0604d5d433974db4290bd36289c8c2425f8_f54098db_cab_006bbe25\triagedump.dmp

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_Kodi.exe_53e0604d5d433974db4290bd36289c8c2425f8_f54098db_cab_006bbe25

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 339b82c3-aec6-426c-83e3-a87aad49acaf
Report Status: 100
Hashed bucket:

Under Windows Logs – System

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Resource-Exhaustion-Detector
Date: 13-Jun-16 05:05:51
Event ID: 2004
Task Category: Resource Exhaustion Diagnosis Events
Level: Warning
Keywords: Events related to exhaustion of system commit limit (virtual memory).
User: SYSTEM
Computer: HTPC-PC
Description:
Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: Kodi.exe (740) consumed 176553984 bytes, AlarmClock.exe (5580) consumed 144035840 bytes, and dwm.exe (1004) consumed 69038080 bytes.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

ALSO...

There are lots of kodi_crashlog-16.1 Git_20160424-c327c53-20160613-215019.dmp files, but I can’t read them. Looks like there is one for each day.

I have uploaded the Kodi Log, It is here...

There are a few kodi_stacktrace-16.1 Git_20160424-c327c53-20160613-215019 files. The contents of the latest one is below...
Thread 2256 (process 5740)
# 0 RtlWaitOnAddress
# 1 RtlEnterCriticalSection
# 2 RtlEnterCriticalSection
# 3
# 4
# 5
# 6 BaseThreadInitThunk
# 7 RtlUnicodeStringToInteger
# 8 RtlUnicodeStringToInteger

I would appreciate some help resolving this problem.
Thanks for the wealth of information but the files listed are not linked.

The only ntdll.dll error I came across affecting Kodi was because the active Windows profile files were corrupted and creating a new Window login/user profile solved the issue.

Of course, it would not hurt to run from the command prompt to check for file errors.
Code:
sfc /VERIFYONLY

You could go one step further by providing the kodi.log to see if there is anything in it and upload it to pastebin.com or likewise.
Log would be in %appdata%\Kodi , the file is appropriately named kodi.log.
Thanks for the speedy reply OTinley

I am having trouble uploading the log. Kodi keeps telling me to check the log for an error, so I tried to paste it directly into Pastebin, but it was refused because it was greater than 512kb. Any suggestions? The log seems to be about 9MB in size.

I tried the sfc /verifyonly. It came back as "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

Ok, I have pasted a portion of the log. It seems to repeat this for pretty much the entire log....

pastebin.com/embed_js/01VcpZ9r

Any suggestions
Thank you.
The log is incomplete but there is a pattern:
Code:
DXGI_ERROR_INVALID_CALL
This along with the failed switched mode seem to indicate display drivers issues and some incompatibility with your version of DirectX or display driver.
This might be related to the recent OS upgrade and your drivers might need updating.
I am not certain on this one so someone with more expertise with Kodi need to step in.
The log is so big it has chopped the front offf, so can't see initial specs. Certainly update those graphics card drivers. Always a good idea.

A test you can try overnight is to disconnect the HDMI cable from the AV Amp. Not all AV Amps talk to PCs and KODI correctly. If leaving the lead disconnected stops the fault, then try the Pin 19 trick ( http://kodi.wiki/view/Displays#HDMI_pin_19_trick )

The majority of the log seems caught up in an attempt to change refresh rate, which is failing. KODI just keeps trying again and again to swap refresh rate. So you could try going in to KODI's settings and disable the option ( System \ Settings \ Video \ Playback \ Adjust display refresh rate )

And if it isn't obvious, no way should KODI be chomping that much RAM. I don't even have 4GB in my box. The repeating failed resolution change looks like it could be resulting in a memory leak for your rig.
Similar issue here, although I haven't moved anything just upgraded from 15.2 to 16.1 few days ago.
Now getting a recurring "Your system is low on memory", seems to happen intermittently when videos are paused or Kodi is left sitting at menu screens.

My setup ran rock solid on Kodi 15.2 since 15.2 was released.
It's an Intel 2820 NUC, 8GB WIN10 x64 fresh install on an SSD
Static 12GB page file on its own partition

Kodi runs as the shell, so explorer not running in the background
'System and compressed memory' is the biggest memory hog in task manager when it happens at around 2GB, if I quit Kodi, that memory hog drops to about 100MB

Has to be a leak or poor memory handling issue in 16.1?
Thank you OTinley and BatterPudding.

I seemed to have resolved the issue. It was as BatterPudding stated. Not all amps and Kodi talk correctly... out of the box.

There is a setting in the Denon AVR that I had to enable... "Enable HDMI Passthrough for Media Centre" (Media Centre being the HDMI port that my HTPC is plugged into)

All working as per normal.