Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Enable file mode?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am quite new with Kodi. Running latest version on an Android TV box, serving from a NAS (running Twonky).

From what I can understand, Kodi does a library scan and basically puts all similar files into the same 'folder' and things like that. In my case it is missing terribly, mixing up music and tv shows, or not showing all video files found in a folder for some reason (while they are all named correctly, I use FileBot for that)

So the question, summing up: Is there a way to use Kodi as a file explorer, not scanning my library whatsoever? I have a correct file structure, don't need any of that. I found online that there should be a 'file mode', but I could not find more detailed information about it.

Thanks!
From the home screen of a default install: Videos -> Files
(2016-06-21, 12:24)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]From the home screen of a default install: Videos -> Files

Thanks for your reply Ned. That is what I do, actually, I go to Videos --> Files --> Add videos... --> and I selected UPnP devices.

Then once it is added, UPnP media servers --> Twonky media server --> Videos --> By Folder

I select one of my folders in the NAS, then I see that Kodi has mixed the content of that folder with some others. For example when I select my internal folder TV Shows --> Modern Family --> Season 7, I see all the episodes, and for some reason around 20 songs from a music album (with a different name and completely unrelated)

I checked the NAS server and it is definitely not there, the folder only contains the videos. I checked Twonky website (this NAS streams online as well), and it is only the episodes as well. It is Kodi who is mixing up content from different folders.
Kodi simply displays the listing returned by the server. I would recommend not using UPnP.
(2016-06-22, 00:37)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi simply displays the listing returned by the server. I would recommend not using UPnP.

That is strange then, but thank you again for your answer.

How do you recommend connecting to a NAS (DLNA media server) then, if not with UPnP? it was the first option that showed me my Twonky share
NFS or SMB/CIFS. UPnP can be dynamic in the video listing, using metadata rather than direct file structure (depending on how things are set up), so I'm assuming that's what happens with Twonky.
(2016-06-22, 11:49)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]NFS or SMB/CIFS. UPnP can be dynamic in the video listing, using metadata rather than direct file structure (depending on how things are set up), so I'm assuming that's what happens with Twonky.

Thanks a lot Ned!! that was it. Everything working perfectly with NFS. Now I also got screenshots, checks of seen videos, can download subtitles (no metadata instead of the filename), etc..

As The Oatmeal said: