Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Screensaver on screen 1?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running dual monitors, one being my actual monitor and the other being my tv which I run kodi on. Lately I have just been turning off my monitor when I watch something, but i was wondering if there is anyway to allow my pc monitor to allow a screensaver, or simply go to sleep while still watching kodi on my tv. I've tried the "blank other displays" option, but my tv went black as well as my monitor. This isnt the exact solution I'm looking for anyway, but figured its better than leaving my monitor on. The other problem is I have to actually close kodi in order for my monitor to go to sleep. Even if nothing is playing, my tv will dim as expected, but monitor 1 will always stay on. Is there some kind of workaround for this, or am I stuck physically turning off my monitor?
You're not using the display switch? (toggle the display switch with the win+p key and choose the display of choice). I guess one could ask, why do you need two displays up when you only use one?

The other options:

1) Get an AVR that will take the display up from Kodi and shut down the monitor (works for me)
2) Use a windows batch file to open the second display () and run Kodi on it while closing out the monitor, exit Kodi it flips back.
3) Some graphic cards can be made to flip the screen priorities with a hot key.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=84235 POST #4
Thanks for the response. I am using the display switch, I just want my monitors to be on extend. I have no issue having kodi on my tv. My main issue is that I do use both displays. Sometimes I'll be on my pc using my monitor while someone else is watching something on Kodi on my tv. I was just looking for a way to have my monitor go to sleep after a set amount of time if I get up and walk away. Because as long as kodi is open on my tv, my monitor will never enter into a screensaver or go to sleep. It's a temporary setup right now anyway, so if I have to just keep turning off my monitor, it's not that big of a deal.
In extend mode, you're treating both displays as one large display horizontally, so a system screen blanker is going to blank the entire display. I guess you've tried the obvious options, so I'll leave you with the thought that Kodi wasn't designed as multi-tasking and work-arounds prevail.

The work-around might be the suggested batch file that exits to the extended mode, and re launches Kodi. I personally do what you want, but rely on single screen flipping, windowed mode etc. to check the desktop. Most of the previous messages regarding this topic (multi-tasking), bring the advice to buy another computer/box for the second display. With all the effort being made to synchronize libraries between systems and boxes like the Pi Zero at $5, it's hard to argue your case.