Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DXVA2 + Radeon = limited color range
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!
Enabling DXVA2 causes limited color range in Kodi video player on AMD graphics. Enabling limited color range (16-235) in Kodi settings washes colors even more.
Tested on Win7 SP1, Radeon HD5670 and Radeon HD7750, Kodi 16.1 and Kodi 17.0 Nightly.

It started when AMD replaced Catalyst Control Center with Crimson (with latest Catalyst drivers DXVA2 works fine). So is it Kodi bug or AMD driver bug?
Video levels and color space (wiki)

Worth a read.
its not a kodi problem, its a driver problem. compare your driver settings (catalyst/crimson) concerning "pixelformat" and under video options "video color range" limited/full? if the setting in crimson is not availaible you have to change settings via registry.
It really depends on everyone's taste

Personnally, I prefer to use limited-full-full

For me, using full-full-full is like trying to drink 1 litre of water from a 0.75 litre bottle
(2016-06-25, 10:51)Ed76 Wrote: [ -> ]its not a kodi problem, its a driver problem. compare your driver settings (catalyst/crimson) concerning "pixelformat" and under video options "video color range" limited/full? if the setting in crimson is not availaible you have to change settings via registry.
Seems like it's a kodi problem, because VLC and Media Player Classic with MadVR don't suffer from washed colors when DXVA is enabled.
The setting in crimson is not available, I've tried to change it in registry with RadeonMod but it has no effect.
do you use a tv (needs mostly limited color range) or a monitor (needs full rgb)? what exactly are your settings for pixelformat and video color range within crimson/catalyst? have you enabled/disabled limited color range within kodi?

there is a known problem with amd/ati cards and kodi 16 if you use pixelformat "full rgb". but this problem is fixed with kodi 17.
I've tried a TV via HDMI and a monitor via displayport. For HDMI pixelformat is set to "full RGB" within crimson and there is no pixelformat setting for displayport. Setting pixelformat to "limited RGB" for HMDI-TV doesn't solve the problem.
Enabling limited color range within kodi 17 affects the UI only, video looks the same washed as before.
for me it is working with ati card and kodi full and limited rgb output. in any case you have to set for both pixelformats "limited" as video output within driver (if you want to use your tv). if you want to use crimson there are 2 ways to do that.

1) set limited video output manual within registry or with "radeon mod"-tool (this tool worked for me)
2) install latest catalyst + ccc (i think its version 15.11). download and unpack latest crimson driver. install crimson driver only within windows devicemanger. now you have newest driver with all of the "old" catalyst settings.

if you can live with "wrong" desktop colors use following settings, because this gives you best possible picture quality within kodi:

driver:
pixel format "full rgb"
video color "limited"

kodi v17:
limited color range

otherwise use this:

pixel format: studio rgb
video "limited"
kodi: full

good luck!