Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Nvidia Shield Tablet K1 for streaming - Seeking Answers & Opinions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

For starters, this is my 1st post in this forum. I am not a gamer at all, actually I'm almost a senior, but a semi tech-savy one, LOL. I am trying to figure out the most suitable device for streaming video in the hopes of cutting our ridiculously overpriced Bell TV here in Canada. I just ordered a MyGica 586 from Costco, but think I'll be returning it. My husband is not very techy, and I think navigating this device would frustrate him. The supplied remote is crap! It's running the apps OK, but a lot of the Kodi Android links are broken, which is why I am thinking SPMC is going to be a better Android app.

I am considering getting a Nvdia Shield K1 tablet to sync via Chromecast to the TV. I want to run SPMC, Mobdro TV, NetFlix, Crackle TV and maybe add some shortcuts to local Canadian TV stations to make it as user friendly as possible for Mr. Non-Techy. Some questions:

1) Would a remote running via a USB dongle work on the Shield K1
2) Does the Shield K1 tablet have a HDMI port in case I want to plug it in directly to my TV rather than use Chromecast?
3) Would the Shield K1 tablet work well for all the apps I mentioned above?
4) All in All, do you think the K1 Shield is a good choice for streaming?

FYI, we have Bell Fibe Internet 25 mbs so a very decent WiFi signal for streaming.

I run Kodi for Windows on my laptop with almost no issues and am familiar with navigating around this app and maintaining the Add-Ons. Same goes for the Mobdro Live TV app.

Thanks everyone.

LynnInOntario
2 yes (mini hdmi)
3 yes
4 I have shield tablet as well and it's great
Yes to #1 as well. Bluetooth remotes should also work just fine.
In answers to your Q's

1. A remote may work, but that kinda defeats the point of Chromecast. You choose what you want to watch in the apps on the tablet and then choose cast to tv.

2. Yes, a mini HDMI I think

3. Yes I think so

4 if you can stretch to the extra money get the nvidia android shield tv and remote.
Thankyou to all who responded. Very helpful. Have a great day.