Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot stream from laptop.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kodi newbie here.

I recently bought a jailbroken Amazon fire tv stick for the purpose to stream videos wireless from my laptop which is in another room.
I have a LG smart tv and with LG's Smartshare I cannot select subtitles, that's why I went for the Kodi stick.

Now I can find the video files of my laptop in Kodi (on my tv), but I can't get them to play. It says "unknown genre".
After searching I found out that I need to do something with xml files, but no idea how or if it is on the Kodi stick or in Kodi on my laptop.

Is there someone who can explain to me what to do without getting too technical (difficult)?

I would appeciate it. Using Kodi Jarvis and Windows pc with Windows 10.
So how are you serving/sharing the files to your fire tv stick from your PC? If you can navigate to your shared files in the Kodi video folder and select them, they should play. Getting the error "unknown genre" just sounds odd.

Since you said it was jailbroken, did you install Kodi yourself? If not and it came pre-loaded, I'd recommend removing the pre-loaded Kodi and reinstalling the latest stable build of Kodi available from the Kodi main website. Reference this thread for instructions on how to remove Kodi on your stick. For your future posts when you have an issue, post a Debug Log, so that users can try to provide you with support. Make sure you've read through the Official Forum Rules Section and Kodi's Official Piracy Policy. Cheers!
(2016-06-28, 21:47)JxPx Wrote: [ -> ]So how are you serving/sharing the files to your fire tv stick from your PC? If you can navigate to your shared files in the Kodi video folder and select them, they should play. Getting the error "unknown genre" just sounds odd.

Since you said it was jailbroken, did you install Kodi yourself? If not and it came pre-loaded, I'd recommend removing the pre-loaded Kodi and reinstalling the latest stable build of Kodi available from the Kodi main website. Reference this thread for instructions on how to remove Kodi on your stick. For your future posts when you have an issue, post a Debug Log, so that users can try to provide you with support. Make sure you've read through the Official Forum Rules Section and Kodi's Official Piracy Policy. Cheers!

I have the videos folder in Windows as shared and put them in the Kodi on my laptop also.
I did buy it already jailbroken and will follow your advice to remove it from the stick and install it again.

Thanks for your help :-)