Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Add logos for all movies that don't have them already?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way to scan my library for movies that don't have a logo and automatically download one for each? Seems like a basic enough function, but I can't figure it out. I've tried running a manual scan with the artwork downloader add-on, but it doesn't find anything that needs downloading. The only way I can get logos is by manually going to each movie that's missing them and using context menus to download and set the logo artwork.

It's weird because when I first installed kodi and scanned my library, all the movies got logos, but now when I add a movie, it doesn't, and I tend to add 5-10 at a time, so manually setting the logo for each one is pretty tedious. I've set the artwork downloader to scan after each library update too, and made sure under its settings that the logo artwork is enabled.
I don't think Kodi itself does any scanning or scraping for movie logos, that is all done via artwork downloader addon with possible support for it in the skin you use. I would ask in the artwork downloader thread in program addons forum.

scott s.
Keep in mind there is a lot of films that do not have logo's... basically this is user driven, with individuals volunteering their time and efforts to produce artwork logo's. .. 'artwork downloader' only catalogues logo's submitted, but there are other sources, including this web site in the artwork forum. Kodi doesn't natively support logo's although some skins do and 'artwork downloader' is the perfect choice for a good start.

If you're no longer getting new logo's with AD then as Scott mentioned, there is a thread for that.
It definitely has nothing to do with lack of logos for the movies in question. I'd estimate about 2-4% of my movies that were there when it originally ran for all of them didn't get logos because of that, but most/all of the new ones I've looked at definitely have logos available, as I can easily get them by manually running the artwork downloader for each one individually, and it usually provides 3-5 logo options.

However, there have been some interesting developments.

I switched an AD (artwork downloader) setting called something like "use local files" on, and ran AD manually, but nothing changed. I was guessing that setting might just force it to use local files if they exist, which is desirable because I do have fanart and poster files for each of my movies (each in individual folders), so I'd like AD to use them when it comes across them.

However, it looks like that setting instead makes it download the artwork files that it's scraping into the same directories as the movies it's scanning. Which I suspected it might do, so not surprised by that.

I discovered this because I checked back a day later after turning on that setting, Kodi hadn't been restarted or anything, still just running. But now all the logos were gone. *EXCEPT* a small handful that I had created my own logos for, and stored the logo.png (or whatever it's supposed to be called) inside each movie directory. This led me to suspect that the following had happened.

I run a nightly backup from my main video drive on one machine to the video drive on my HTPC (which runs Kodi). It's set to remove any files from the HTPC video drive that aren't present on the main video drive. So AD could have ran on it's own (or the manual scan I ran didn't really complete when the "running" dialog went away, maybe it was still running in the background), downloaded new artwork files (or copied existing ones from wherever they were stored before the setting change) all into my movie folders, then the backup removed them and now Kodi was displaying blank images because they were no longer found. One movie that I had recently added that I knew had a logo available to download and was therefore my test movie, had a blank logo, which indicated that even the new movies that previously didn't have logos had been processed, which was what I wanted. I knew this, because the few movies that don't have logos to download (and I haven't made my own logos for) and therefore have always had the "fallback" test logo still had the text logos.

I disabled my nightly video backup and came back a day later, and sure enough, there were all the downloaded files in my movie folders now, and Kodi was displaying them. So that's awesome. Only thing I'm unsure of is whether or not switching the "use local files" setting on just sort of "reset" the AD plugin so it did a fresh scan, and that's why the new movies finally got logos automatically, or if it will now continue to process new movies periodically/when I update the video library. Hopefully it's the later.
AFAIK, AD only runs if you start it manually or via the skin. I don't think it ever runs "automatically", though maybe a skin setting could cause it to run without needing user to do anything to start the script. For "use local files" I think that only has meaning if media are in separate folders. In that case AD first checks to see if a local file exists and uses that (meaning, a link to the local file is entered into the video database for that media dbid and arttype). If local file does not exist, if a remote file link was found (http:...), the file from that link is downloaded and stored locally and again the video database is updated.

So you need to consult with the skinner for the skin you use to understand how AD was implemented in the skin, but that doesn't change what "use local files" does.

BTW if you turn on debug logging in Kodi and also AD settings, you get a lot of useful information on what AD is doing.

scott s.