Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Blu-ray playback and DTS-HD MA 7.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm a new user of Kodi 16 and fairly new to audio formats. I copied a libmmbd.dll
to the Kodi dvdplayer folder (libaacs.dll and libbdplus.dll) from a MakeMKV
installation in order to playback blurays in Kodi. That works fine, but it reports audio as
DTS HD 5.1 when it should be 7.1. Is this expected? Should I be able to playback
with DTS HD MA 7.1? I chose 7.1 in the Kodi settings.

Thanks
It's just a UI issue where DTS-HD 7.1 is shown as DTS-HD 5.1 on the GUI, however Kodi should still be sending the full DTS-HD 7.1 to the AVR. This UI issue should be fixed in the Krypton V17 development nightlies.
Are you sure it's a UI issue? I do not hear the two extra speakers at all!

Thanks
Well as long as your audio settings are correct then we will definitely pass DTS-HD 7.1 to an AVR.
What did you use between your computer and your AVR?

You need to use HDMI if you want 7.1 sound
As far as I know, SPDIF is limited to 5.1 (in reality it is limited to 6.1 but it is almost never used)
Sorry, but I now notice we've gone down the wrong discussion!
I'm not trying to send to a receiver. I'm just trying to playback the bluray
on my 7.1 capable audio and speakers on my PC.
I have an integrated Realtek alc888 on my mb. It's somewhat old (2006?),
but it is HD. I updated to the most recent HD audio driver (6/2015) recently.
I thought this would give me DTS-HD MA 7.1. Was I wrong to expect this
on this relatively old hardware? Is my audio hardware the problem?

Thanks
I'm a bit confused now on exactly how you have things connected together, are you saying you're using the 7.1 analog outs to connect 7.1 speakers directly to the PC? If so set "Audio output device" to the WASAPI option, set "Number of channels" to "7.1" and finally enable "Support 8 channel DTS-HD decoding".
That cured it!!

I did not realize that "Support 8 channel DTS-HD decoding" was hidden behind "advanced" settings.
Changing to WASAPI was not necessary.
Also, the video is now identified as 7.1, not 5.1.

Thanks very much.