Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Local Video/Remote Audio: Using Xbox(es) to control/send to central PC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just got our old Xbox running XBMC running in the bedroom with a cheap WalMart LCD TV. Works great with MP3's, movies, tv shows etc. samba'd from our main HTPC in the basement. The only downside would be the tinny audio coming from the little speakers in the TV.

When I built the house I wired up nice in-wall speakers in the bedroom, kitchen living room etc. and hooked them up to the receiver in the basement theater. This means that any movie or audio file that I play on the basement HTPC or basement Xbox can be heard on nice quality speakers throughout the house. The issue has always been how to remotely control what is being pumped into the basement receiver. I've kluged together some Homeseer scripts that use X10 RF remotes to fire up winamp playlists but its far from an ideal setup.

It'd be great to have an xbox in the bedroom, kitchen etc. somehow control (through its beautiful gui) what audio gets played into the basement receiver. Anyone have any ideas if what I describe is possible using XBMC?
Make XBMC part of the reciever setup and use the webserver?
sho Wrote:Make XBMC part of the reciever setup and use the webserver?

So then I could use linksbox on remote xboxes to control a "central" xbox connected to the basement receiver? Last time I used linksbox was a couple of years ago and I remember it as being pretty klugy.

If there's no way to pnp control a PC from an xbox the next best thing would be to be able to remotely control an xbox via its web interface from another xbox.
CrazyIvan Wrote:If there's no way to pnp control a PC from an xbox the next best thing would be to be able to remotely control an xbox via its web interface from another xbox.

That's what sho meant Smile
I have never tested Linksbox, but I was thinking more like from any thin client or Wi-Fi enabled handheld. Be it PSP or PocketPC.

I have used a laptop, but have not tested with a PSP (This was only a google away)
I remeber seeing a Wi-Fi enabled handheld touchscreen, in regards to LinuxMCE I believe. I do not however have any idea how much a device would cost, but it would sure be a cool way to remote control XBMC.
I've played with media portal before so I could put it back on my basement HTPC. After a morning of searching/reading it sounds like I can control the TV aspects of mediaportal from remote xbox's via XBMC scripts. For other functionality I'd need to use a web browser on the xbox to control mediaportal.

I got really excited when I found the thread about integrating linksbox into xbmc only to see it peter out. Sad

The PSP remote looks cool but not spending any more more money would be nice if possible. Smile