Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodfi shut down & restart issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, Just wondering how many of you power down your systems. I had my HTPC set to sleep when pressing the power button on my remote. About 50 % of the time when I restart the system kodi will not restart, and I get error messages like exception caught on main loop exiting. On a whim I configured the power button to do nothing and since doing this I have not had any issues with Kodi. It starts up every time and finally after about 9 months of trying to make it work and start up the wife is happy with it. The only issue I have with this is the computer is always running. I am just wondering what others are doing to shut down their systems and then wake them up. I am running windows 7 home premium 64 bit on my system with a i7-2600 @ 3.40Ghz processor, 8 gb ram. and a GTX 950 GPU. As I said I am finally happy with the way Kodi is working just wish I could shut down the computer when I am not using the system. Also I have had this issue with both Isengard 15.1 and all of the Jarvis 16 releases. Currently using 16.1 Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
I don't think the issue is necessarily Kodi, the way windows sleeps, it copies ongoing CPU instructions into storage, and depending on the order of things along with cache (critical in the Kodi interface).... on wake Kodi is not happy with the loss or order of things. Many MS messages regarding sleep, vs hibernate vs shut and this issue is unlikely going to be resolved by the Kodi team if MS is still trying to get it straight.

I personally shutdown each night, I like to see the splash and shutdown screens.
I leave it going 24/7, but I use fairly low power (chromebox) machines.
I've got used to closing Kodi down when I've finished with it. Can't remember why - probably the same issue as you. I assigned shutdown to a long-press zero in the remote and I've set the 'green button' to restart Kodi, so no big deal.
I have been experimenting with my main setup, which is a Nuc with Windows 10.
After some trial&error i decided to use Launcher4Kodi.
I set Windows to sleep after a certain period of inactivity, and have Kodi shutdown on sleep and start after the systenlm wakes.

This works like a charm and another advantage is that Kodi will re-populate the TV guide on start that will otherwise be empty after a few days..
(2016-07-02, 09:44)Atreyu Wrote: [ -> ]I have been experimenting with my main setup, which is a Nuc with Windows 10.
After some trial&error i decided to use Launcher4Kodi.
I set Windows to sleep after a certain period of inactivity, and have Kodi shutdown on sleep and start after the systenlm wakes.

This works like a charm and another advantage is that Kodi will re-populate the TV guide on start that will otherwise be empty after a few days..

I have Launcher4Kodi set up also. I set it up to start Kodi when windows resumes from sleep and Close Kodi on system suspend and start windows explorer when Kodi is closed. What do you think about setting up my Universal remote to close Kodi first then put system to sleep and when starting up wake computer first then Launcher4Kodi will restart Kodi I can create a macro for the remote with delay timers to accomplish this.
Frankly, i don't see what doing that would effectively add besides complexity imho...
(2016-07-03, 10:51)Atreyu Wrote: [ -> ]Frankly, i don't see what doing that would effectively add besides complexity imho...

I use a URC MX850 programmable remote to control my home theater so I can make start up shut down as simple or as complex as needed. I can start up the HTPC ,AV receiver, switch inputs and turn on TV with one button press. If I want to use the DVD player that is also a single button press to power up the dvd and switch inputs on the receiver. This is a very WAF system. When I was having all of the start up issues, lock ups and error messages the wife was not very happy. With the programmable remote setting a macro command to start or shut down the system is no big deal. For now all is working well except I would like to be able to put the computer to sleep and be able to have it restart with out locking up Kodi. When I get a chance I will make some changes to Launcher4Kodi and my start up macro command and see if I can put the computer to sleep and wake up with out locking up Kodi.
Wondering how others are putting their systems to sleep or shutting down? We use the HTPC as a OTA DVR for recording and watching TV so I need to be able to do timer recordings when the system is down..