Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Issue browsing SMB with Krypton
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Same share from my Synology NAS has no issues with the same Kodi version (Krypton A2) on Windows.
The share settings in Synology are set to SMB 3 with all default settings.
I have no problem accessing smb://kodi:[email protected]/video using OS X Finder app.

Debug log: http://pastebin.com/YzpHdcWg

passwords.xml
Code:
<passwords>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://192.168.1.2/video</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://kodi:[email protected]/video</to>
    </path>
</passwords>

sources.xml
Code:
<sources>
    <programs>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
    </programs>
    <video>
        <source>
            <name>tv</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://192.168.1.2/video/tv</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>movie</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://192.168.1.2/video/movie</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>
    </video>
    <music>
    </music>
    <pictures>
    </pictures>
    <files>
    </files>
</sources>

mediasources.xml
Code:
<mediasources>
    <network>
        <location id="0">smb://192.168.1.2/video</location>
    </network>
</mediasources>
Have you tried using afp (Mac file service) instead of smb between Mac and synology NAS? I have found it to be very stable compared to using smb with the Mac, at least for me.
I have had zero problems with afp regardless of OS X and DSM versions.
I have both services running. Afp for the Mac and smb for the nvidia shield.
I did use NFS on all my instances in the past, but I would rather use SMB 3. It is supported so instead of going for an alternative I want to figure out what the issue is here. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Never could get NFS to work reliably with the Mac. Afp would be the choice when using a Mac however. It is solid.
What OS X and DSM versions are you running and what Mac device?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad
AFP was removed by Apple since osx 10.9 or 10.10 or so and Kodi (16.0 iirc) a while ago. The fact that this is working on windows but not on osx might be caused by the fact that windows uses a windows smb implementation and all other platforms use an open source smb implementation which has issues with some newer smb server versions. Enabling guest access on the server might make it work.
(2016-07-03, 19:38)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]AFP was removed by Apple since osx 10.9 or 10.10 or so and Kodi (16.0 iirc) a while ago. The fact that this is working on windows but not on osx might be caused by the fact that windows uses a windows smb implementation and all other platforms use an open source smb implementation which has issues with some newer smb server versions. Enabling guest access on the server might make it work.
Actually not true. As of El Capitan, AFP is still a choice since Afp is required for time machine. One can choose SMB or AFP for file sharing as per this apple support page.
As far as Kodi is concerned, while AFP is absent, I mount the NAS within the Mac using AFP and then within Kodi, when adding video files, I choose volumes where my mounted network drive appears. Let Mac handle the networking of the mounted drive and let Kodi handle the volume. Probably work fine with smb 3 mounts as well.

Derek wrote this: I map the drives in osx not in kodi and it works perfectly, it saves your username and password aswell - with windows 10 you need to login with your MS email and pass."
I think Memphiz means that AFP is no longer enabled by default when using OS X file sharing. It's still supported, both server and client, but Apple is starting to migrate away from it.
nah i really thought it vanished from osx - mea culpa
(2016-07-03, 19:38)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]AFP was removed by Apple since osx 10.9 or 10.10 or so and Kodi (16.0 iirc) a while ago. The fact that this is working on windows but not on osx might be caused by the fact that windows uses a windows smb implementation and all other platforms use an open source smb implementation which has issues with some newer smb server versions. Enabling guest access on the server might make it work.

Thanks Memphiz.
So it is a known issue with SMB 3 and my only option if I want to stick to SMB 3 is to enable guest access.
Could this issue be solved with a bump of the smbclient lib?
well did it work with guest access? I think the final solution is to switch to libdsm like MrMC did.
Try mounting the smb 3 in the Mac itself and then when adding videos in Kodi, choose "volume" where your Mac mounted shared drive will show up. Very simple and requires no tweaks. This works just fine and has been discussed in previous threads.

Here is the apple scoop on smb 3.

SMB3
SMB3 is the default protocol for sharing files in OS X El Capitan. SMB3 helps protect against tampering and eavesdropping by encrypting and signing data “in flight.”
• Encryption. SMB3 provides end-to-end encryption to protect data and secure communication on untrusted networks. SMB3 in El Capitan uses AES-CCM for encryption to ensure communications between client and server are private.
• Signing. To guard against tampering, SMB3 adds a signature to every packet transmitted over the wire. SMB3 uses AES-CMAC to validate the integrity of the signature, ensuring the packets have not been intercepted, changed, or replayed and that communication between hosts is authenticated and authorized.
• Power. Encryption and signing of SMB3 connections are fast and power efficient. Both AES-CCM for encryption and AES-CMAC for signing are dramatically accelerated on modern Intel CPUs with AES instruction support.
• Authentication. SMB supports Extended Authentication Security using Kerberos and NTLMv2.
• Efficient. SMB features Resource Compounding, allowing multiple requests to be sent in a single request. In addition, SMB can use large reads and writes to make better use of faster networks as well as large MTU support for blazing speeds on 10 Gigabit Ethernet. It aggressively caches file and folder properties and uses opportunistic locking to enable better caching of data. It’s even more reliable, thanks to the ability to transparently reconnect to servers in the event of a temporary disconnect.
• Transparent reconnect. El Capitan supports Persistent Handles for transparent failover and reconnects to enterprise SMB3 file servers.
• Compatible. SMB is automatically used to share files between two Mac computers running OS X El Capitan, or when a Windows client running Windows 8 connects to your Mac. OS X El Capitan maintains support for AFP SMB2 and SMB network file sharing protocols, automatically selecting the appropriate protocol as needed.
(2016-07-05, 16:40)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]well did it work with guest access? I think the final solution is to switch to libdsm like MrMC did.

No, even with guest access enabled Kodi can't list the directory of the share.
I was able to confirm that guest access is working by using cmd
Code:
open "smb://192.168.1.2/video"

I see that libdsm is a read-only client so that would mean we loose the ability to store subtitles/artwork next to the media files.
Edit: Their feature list clearly states "write file" under SMB, so it's not read-only after all Blush