Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SOLVED procedure entry point could not be located
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have tried installing the latest "Krypton" alpha 2 version of Kodi 17. I had earlier tried a development build with the same error. It is the same error message as this forum user posted about.
279211 (thread)

namely "the procedure entry point AddDllDirectory could not be located in the Dynamic link library kernel32.dll"

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. To see whether it was "just this machine", I also tried it on a laptop, also running win 7 64-bit, with the same error (I then installed service pack 1, but that didn't fix it).

I've been using xbmc/kodi for some time without issues. Reverting to Jarvis makes it work without error, it's just the new version that this happens on.

I tried running scannow as suggested in the other thread, there were some corrupt files that could not be repaired, Whatever is supposed to be "wrong" with them hasn't caused any issues with any other installed programs including the older versions of Kodi.

Can anyone offer any insight into what this error means and how to fix it? Thanks
Doing some very quick research, I think you need to do a full clean install of Windows (not a repair or restore) so it isn't missing any dependencies and apply all the updates, along with any firmware and drivers.
Thanks, but I have no intention of doing that. I have no issues at all, including with previous versions of Kodi and I'm not going through that on the off chance that it'll fix things with one program error message (particularly as my laptop which I tried it on too hasn't much installed, hasn't been used much and should not have any "corrupt" system files on it because they are all replaced when installing the service pack). If possible, I'd really like to know what causes the error with a view to possibly fixing it without reinstalling the OS. If it comes down to reinstalling vs not using the new version, I'll stop at Jarvis (although I really like the new layout).
IIRC I looked into this some time in the past, and 2 things to consider

1. make sure when you install Kodi 17 you allow vcredist to run and complete (it's packaged with the win32 installer). You can use an unzip uitl on the Kodi installer to extract the vcredist installers and run them stand-alone (Kodi 17 is built for Windows using Visual Studio 2015 so you need the correct MS support files for this version of VS).

2. I recall there was some MS Win7 KB update for kernal32 that might be needed. I can't find a record though of what the KB number is so you will have to do some searching I'm afraid. I do remember there was an initial KB and subsequently it was superseded by a more recent one.

scott s.
(2016-07-05, 21:42)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]1. make sure when you install Kodi 17 you allow vcredist to run and complete (it's packaged with the win32 installer).
Thanks, I just installed everything and let the installer run, so presumably it did.
Hi there

Same setup here (Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate SP1) and same error on 2 PC's, one of which is a completely fresh new Windows installation.

Hope someone can solve this one..

Cheers
Did you install the DirectX9.0 stuff after installing Windows?

Try installing this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download...35&nowin10

And then do a fresh install of Kodi.
(2016-07-10, 12:43)Daaave Wrote: [ -> ]Hope someone can solve this one..
I may have discovered the cause. I now have it working on my laptop. I had found information online that the "adddlldirectory" function needs to have Microsoft update KB2533623 installed on the target computer. I got it to work after installing that update, however I had fiddled with/installed other 'stuff' prior to that so the other steps I'd taken might have contributed to it working on that system.

I've installed ONLY that one update and I'll reinstall Krypton on my other computer, but I can't restart it just at the minute because I have things to do on it. I'll post again after I'm able to restart and if it works/is fixed, I'll post to let you know.

Thanks levi, I hadn't done that, no, but if this missing update fixes things, I won't need to try your suggestion.
Hope something works for you bud, it was also for Daaave to try as well.
Resolved by Windows Update file KB2533623. Thanks so much to bilgepump for fixing this.
Thanks Levi, that update also made it work on another system. Both working systems have Win7 SP1 installed. I haven't yet tried it on my other computer that doesn't have SP1.

Here's where I got the info about the update (it's in relation to something else, but refers to the adddlldirectory function)
link re update in case the update doesn't fix it for others, it might lead them to other info that helps.

EDIT: was posting as daave was. Glad it fixed it for you too.
The update did it KB2533623 cheers Guys for the help
I had issues installing on the machine without SP1, there was a missing dependency. I had earlier been looking into the Visual Studio 2015 requirements after Scott 967's advice. To install Visual Studio 2015 separately requires an update KB2999226 which needs SP1 to be installed first. Apparently, Windows 10 has the prerequisites to make VS 2015 work in the OS, but they aren't there in the earlier versions and you need to install that update to put necessary files in to Win 7 to get VS 2015 to work.

I'd say you need SP1 and that update to successfully install Krypton. I got it working after I installed them. Just FYI in case anyone else having issues lands here and comes across the same thing.
Thanks for digging up that KB. I looked all around to try to figure out / remember the number for it and just couldn't find it again.

scott s.
(2016-07-10, 16:44)smgwh01 Wrote: [ -> ]The update did it KB2533623 cheers Guys for the help

Can you link where you got that update please
Pages: 1 2