Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: v17 - Fails to adjust display refresh rate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

This used to work, but now since upgrading to a v17 version, Kodi no longer adjusts my display's refresh rate.

Here is debug log while I tried playing back a 23.976 fps MKV.

I'm on latest release - v17 alpha (git). Running Kodibuntu, Samsung LCD TV, Yamaha surround received, pass-through enabled.

All help is welcome!!
Some more info:

System info
dpkg -l |grep mesa

DISPLAY=:0 vainfo

I'm using an Intel i5-3550 Ivy Bridge CPU with HD2500 graphics, connected to my Yamaha RX-V773 received via HDMI. Motherboard is an H77-based Asus board.

I'm seeing the video play back at 23.976fps in kodi, and I get 1 or 2 dropped frames over the timespan of a couple minutes.

Key settings:
Adjust video to display rate: Always
Sync playback to display: Off
Allow hardware acceleration - VDPAU: ON
Allow hardware acceleration - VAAPI: OFF

VAAPI doesn't work for me - I get no video.

I suspect that this does not work because VAAPI is off, something which was broken in the previous Kodi release.

I also suspect that my GPU (HD2500) might be a problem here, since it's known to struggle with the 24p issue.

Perhaps upgrading to a CPU with HD4000 GPU would make the troubles go away?

All help is welcome!
Update:

Got it to work, had to upgrade VAAPI version using ppa wsnipex/vaapi (got this from http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955).

Then had to set "Deinterlace video" to ON and "Deinterlace method" to "Deinterlace" during playback - no other interlacing methods worked.

24p refresh rate sync issue is resolved, but playback is now kinda choppy.. CPU usage is around 30-40% on all four cores.
For anyone interested, my issues were caused by VAAPI decoding not working due to the outdated graphics stack in Ubuntu 14.04. I upgraded to 16.04 and did some further tweaks to get VAAPI working in kodi 17. See here for more info: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2383363