Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Non-linear stretch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2017-01-10, 00:40)Shogunreaper Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-09, 11:05)ironic_monkey Wrote: [ -> ]shogunreaper, because windows uses d3d

why?

Probably because it's the most prevalent way to deal with video processing on Windows. OpenGL on Windows is no simple matter, and it's possible that the volunteer programers who work on the Windows branch of Kodi aren't that familiar with OpenGL (whereas the OS X and Unix folks probably are, as it's the only real video processing option on those platforms). I'm sure if you'd like to dive into the Kodi code and update the player to use OpenGL on Windows the Kodi devs would be happy to look at it.
Well back when version 16 was release the kodi team specifically said that non-liniar stretch was now here, and said nothing about it being excluded on windows

https://kodi.tv/kodi-16-0-jarvis-mark-xvi/

Quote:It’s perhaps a bit late in coming, but Kodi finally supports stretching 4:3 content to 16:9 in a way that doesn’t warp the content that’s occurring in the center of the screen. Finally, you’ll be able to watch Friends, Seinfeld, Cheers, and Duck Tales in full screen without the awkward screen stretching from the past.

so now i'm still pretty sure this is a bug.
that message is entirely incorrect. i did not add nonlinear stretch, all i added was the ability to default 4:3 content to nonlinear stretching. the nonlinear stretch support has been there since uhrm, 2009-2010 or thereabout.
the reason for going for directx on windows was that back then there was no opengl/dxva interop available. so dx was needed for hw accelerated decode. it's now somewhat possible to use dxva and opengl, but it's anything but pretty.
(2017-01-10, 15:11)ironic_monkey Wrote: [ -> ]that message is entirely incorrect. i did not add nonlinear stretch, all i added was the ability to default 4:3 content to nonlinear stretching. the nonlinear stretch support has been there since uhrm, 2009-2010 or thereabout.

what's the difference?
first is the action of actually doing nonlinear stretching in the display/scaling code (which has been toggleable from the video osd since 2010).

the second was merely augmenting a setting that allows you to set a particular view mode as the default view mode for 4:3 videos. you could not set this to include nonlinear stretching, as view mode and nonlinear stretch are stored separately. i added the additional logic to allow specifying 'stretch 16:9 - nonlinear' as the default.
Pages: 1 2