Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Changing App Package Name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Many of us Amazon Fire TV 2nd gen users will have lost their shortcut in the last few weeks. Me being me, I'm quite anal and I like my shortcut on the main recent section without the need to navigate to manage installed addons.

I've read that someone has basically done a fork of FireStarter and changed the package name in order to bypass the Amazon Fires blocking. Admittedly I could just use that however as they've done this, can it be done for other apps including Kodi?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad
An external app would still be needed to start Kodi/launch on Fire TV hardware. That app/service has to always be running in the background of the Fire TV.
No gonna lie I know nothing about how an app works. Just read that a guy had done a fork of Fire Starter however from all I could see all he's done was change the package name. As such it was essentially still Fire Starter just a different name. From my very limited knowledge it would still be Kodi just with a different package name.

Like I've said, I know pretty much zilch about how they work.
Why not try SPMC?
(2016-07-08, 13:37)DaLanik Wrote: [ -> ]Why not try SPMC?

I've not used SPMC for about 3 years. I've have a look. Thanks
What I mean is, to launch Kodi or to have launcher auto open that includes Kodi, a service must be running in the background at all times that is either listening to the remote button presses, or watching when the default home screen gets loaded. That is what FireStarter used to do, and what the new FireStarter fork now does (I don't recall the name at the moment). Kodi itself is meant to be unloaded whenever Android/FireOS needs more memory. That's why it won't work with just Kodi.

Unless you mean to just have Kodi show up in the default launcher under "recents"? Amazon actually went out of their way to allow Kodi to be listed, so they're not currently blocking anything for Kodi.