Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon fire tv 4k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi chaps im really interested in getting a amazon fire tv 4k i know you can put kodi 16.1/2 on the system and theres talk of kodi 17.0 only working on devices that have 5.1 or greater.

Will the Amazon tv 4k work with kodi 17.0 and future updates or not?

Thanks
Don't see why not.
maybe its not a good idea on the amazon fire tv, looking at it and asking elsewhere it won't support kodi 17.0

so i have opted for this :

https://www.entertainmentbox.com/product...-box-t8-4/
Kodi v17 works on all Amazon Fire TV products (box 1, box 2, stick).
hmmm now you have me thinking even more ... well its either the entertainmentbox t8 v4 which has the best specs i can find s905 cpu 2gb ram 16gb on board .. room for external hdd

or go for the fire tv .
Specs mean nothing if vendor used inferior parts/components and the support you're going to get post sale.

Meatus

Get a Fire TV 4K. It has a large community, excellent vendor support, plus proper remote friendly apps for Netflix, Youtube, etc.

The box you're looking at is rubbish, as are 99/100 Android players, with the notable exception of the more expensive Shield, which is popular here, but overkill really.

If you insist on getting some generic junk Chinese box, preinstalled with Kodi and a bunch of crap add-ons, at least get one that runs Android TV. If the person selling it doesn't know what that means - as distinct from an Android device you can watch "free TV channels" on - run very quickly in the opposite direction.
Is it possible to get Kodi to playback 4K content on the AFTV2? I have 16.1 installed and it'll only render videos at 1080p. Do you need root access to enable it?
MrMC can do it (pending v2.4 release), SPMC can also. Kodi cannot until it picks up changes to support it. And no, you do not need root.
(2016-07-23, 13:10)MrMC Wrote: [ -> ]MrMC can do it (pending v2.4 release), SPMC can also. Kodi cannot until it picks up changes to support it. And no, you do not need root.
Have you checked 4K switch with SPMC test build? I don't think it is working correctly. I am seeing the picture zoomed in and showing only 1/4th of the original.
I've not checked SPMC but I do know that MRMC handled all resolution/refresh rate switches correctly.

In development, I have seen that effect before, the display switch worked but the internals missed the change over.
I need someone to send me an AFTV2 Wink
I can't even buy it from Belgium...
(2016-07-20, 10:46)Meatus Wrote: [ -> ]Get a Fire TV 4K. It has a large community, excellent vendor support, plus proper remote friendly apps for Netflix, Youtube, etc.

The box you're looking at is rubbish, as are 99/100 Android players, with the notable exception of the more expensive Shield, which is popular here, but overkill really.

If you insist on getting some generic junk Chinese box, preinstalled with Kodi and a bunch of crap add-ons, at least get one that runs Android TV. If the person selling it doesn't know what that means - as distinct from an Android device you can watch "free TV channels" on - run very quickly in the opposite direction.

I haven't gone with the fire tv box they don't support kodi and making it so users have to root to get it, I set a fire tv stick up for my sister and was a ball ache.

I have gone with a entertainment box T8 version 4 has regular OTA updates and after sales as well as a custom boot loader for kodi.

Specs are one of the best available
S905 chip
16GB on board memory with sata underneath for a SSD or HDD
2 RAM
1000 Ethernet port ( I have 200mb internet so 100 isn't good enough )

Very happy with the box very smooth and fast, like I said I get a proper 12 month warranty they have a shop in London and have live chat on website and on Twitter. I can also keep the box up to date with there inbuilt OTA air updates.

No brainer.

Thanks for the help guys

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-07-31, 11:16)rchads89 Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't gone with the fire tv box they don't support kodi and making it so users have to root to get it, I set a fire tv stick up for my sister and was a ball ache.

Most box makers don't support Kodi, including the box you are trying to shill.

Root to get Kodi on Fire TV? Bullshit.
I'm calling bullshit as well, No need to root to get Kodi on the FireTV, there a guides everywhere detailing how to get Kodi on to the FireTV.

Plus you now have very experienced Kodi developers like Davilla with MrMC and Koying with SPMC turning their attention to the FireTV.
So no Kodi support is utter bullshit.

Good luck with that T8 box trying to get anything over 480p Max resolution for paid video streaming services like Netflix and more.
Pages: 1 2