Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi image stretch. No black bars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a new kodi box. I can't figure out how to get the black bars in the video so it doesn't looked stretched. I have the settings correct in video I think. Any suggestions. How do I get black bars on it?
The newer versions of Kodi seem to have fixed this nicely. What version are you using?
I'm pretty sure Jarvis is the first to fix this issue. I remember Gotham videos look terrible when removing the black bars. You're still going to experience a very small cropping adjustment, but the screen shouldn't be completely stretched out anymore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you playing widescreen video or 4:3 format?

Go to System/ Video/ Playback/ Display 4:3 video as non-linear stretch
I want black bars. I don't like full screen. Running Jarvis playing 4:3 normal on a 47 in led using android
My mistake.
Adding the bars to 4:3 isn't exactly a fix. You have several dimension settings available add default in Kodi or can zoom to your desired level.

If you play widescreen movies (2.35:1) on a 16:9 TV you will get black lines. 4:3 with the bars is an odd request as it will have to crop your upper and lower portions to make it look widescreen without vertical stretch.

Or..it'll stretch the video thinner to get the bars. Juse mess with the settings until you're satisfied.
(2016-07-19, 14:21)Spud2007 Wrote: [ -> ]I want black bars. I don't like full screen. Running Jarvis playing 4:3 normal on a 47 in led using android

Check your TV view mode setting, mine has : Stretch, Dot by dot, S-stretch and Zoom. I set mine to Dot by dot and 4:3 or 16:9 display as it should.
Also, who doesn't like full screen? That's the whole point of getting a widescreen TV. Smile
I remember dreaming of the day where I didn't have to squint through the black bars to see my movies...on my old 19 incher.
Thank you, 21st century, for allowing me to own sweet tech for cheap prices.
My tv is 16:9. I've tried all viewing modes in kodi. Nothing works. When it's stretched the image looks like shit when it's suppose to be viewed as widescreen. I have it on 4:3 normal now. Why can't I get it to work? Black bars setting minimize off. Any other ideas? Is my box dumb?
4:3 stretch doesn't create black bars, because the constraints are inconsistent.
You have to have it set to 16:9 as non-linear stretch for it to correct itself. If not in the settings, you can set individually in the play menu.
Also, you must have Jarvis or higher (Kodi 16.1).

What kind of box do you have? What system are you using? What version of Kodi are you using?

***Note: I was referring to top and bottom bars. Not one's on the side. I assumed you were able to get those, because it's default.
Also, your box doesn't work properly because you called it dumb. Be nice to your tech.
Kodi 16.1
Android 5.1
I've tried non linear 16.9 still no bars. That's in settings video playback.i have an mxr pro box. Brand new
? Anyone
If you set the zoom to normal in kodi then 4:3 video will play on a 16:9 screen with black bars on both sides. That's with standard kodi settings.
IF you're looking for the bars on the sides, Kodi should auto set. As stated above by Nickr.

IF you want the bars on the top and bottom, it would make no sense to do so, as the video source would be too distorted.

I have seen several videos that won't play nice with formatting, however. I have a single 4:3 that will NOT stretch. The reason being, I found that the bars were built into the image instead of being a native source. That is a one off scenario, however.

Kodi should just play the 4:3 video with bars on either side without issue if you turn the stretch off. If what you're doing in the Video settings makes sense, and the box still won't recognize, I'd vote box error or build issue. Fresh install?
Now that I'm clear, you want an image to look like ||||| IMAGE |||||

Settings/ Video / Playback
-Minimize Black Bars OFF
-Display 4:3 video as NORMAL

That....should do it.
While watching a video, you should have the same options in the menu.
Just cycling through the ZOOM options on your remote, you get an option for Stretch 4:3. No matter what you default set to, this will put the bars in place on the sides. I believe Replay Gain option does too. Both are Zoom views.
Still yet to work. No bars
Pages: 1 2