Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Condemned as guilty without a trial!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
When I posted a thread as a relatively new user of Kodi I received initially a polite explanation that apparently I had broken the forum rules as my kodi included Exodus. I apologise but I was totally unaware that there were allowable and non-allowable add ons for Kodi. I am now.

The installation I achieved was not through the help of this forum or the Kodi Wiki (which for a new user is pretty hard to follow) but through one of the You Tube installation guides and as a result I have doubtless installed many other unacceptable add ons, all of which I will now remove.

However, I find it pretty insulting to have the post (which was harmless in itself) removed so abruptly and rudely without notification and without being given the chance to respond. I accept it did not meet your rules and perhaps ignorance is no defence but there is still a pleasant way for respectable people to behave towards one another.

I posted it this morning and have been working all day. I have just returned to my desk and found the response from miss_80 (thank you) only to discover that I missed by about 5 minutes the opportunity to explain myself.

Kodi is not intuitive and many others will undoubtedly go the same way that I have until now and treating them in a roughshod manner will undoubtedly not endear them to you, the forum or the product.

I will persevere as I use Kodi as the front end to my VBox (a totally legitimate installation) and want it to work well.

Perhaps you should revisit your rules and at least allow individuals the opportunity to respond before damning and upsetting them in the way you have me.

Please do not flame me. I am pretty tender already.

Geoff
You must have missed section 2.5 of the forum rules that you accepted when registering...
I guess I did. Along, probably with all the others! I am not a trouble maker just someone trying to understand how to use what is a good piece of open software. I hold my hands up and accept that I did not read all of the rules in detail and I have already apologised.

Rather than strip it all out I will continue to use it as it for now (for my Vbox, not for Exodus) and wait to do a vanilla install of Krypton (which I have been evaluation on the nightlies programme).

Hopefully if I have issues with the vanilla, the forum will help me out if I get lost or stuck. In future, I will stick to the Kodi repository! (Unless there are other acceptable repositories that can be used?).
(2016-07-25, 16:36)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]You must have missed section 2.5 of the forum rules that you accepted when registering...
Realistically - I've never read a forum's rules before registering. Life's too short.

I'd just say to the OP - don't take it personally. Mods don't have time to go into extended conversations with every poster who breaks the rules (knowingly or not) - and indeed given their rate of pay (zero) why should they?
If you want support here you have to have a clean system. That means if you mention banned stuff, or have banned stuff in your log, the thread's trashed. That's done to protect kodi - and tbh it seems fairly reasonable.
If you're using banned add-ons and have a problem...
Remove them, and if the problem persists get help here.
If it turns out to be down to something banned here ask the author.
And also note that whilst your thread got trashed, no other action was taken against you or your account such as warnings or banning. Those are reserved for more serious offences, or for repeat offenders who even after binnings (or indeed after lengthy explanation posts) persist on asking about the banned junk.

As @trogggy says, don't take it personally, more as a learning experience. As he also said, we don't have the time to go into a dialogue with every violator of the rules, be they deliberate or through ignorance. You are perfectly free to continue to post here and start threads, as long as the lesson is learned and the rules are followed. We're quite happy to support clean vanilla installs, or indeed to help remove all the banned junk from contaminated installs (it's the only thing we will support in relation to such add-ons though).

Plus in many cases a full reply post, even if we have time to make one, would just be wasted. Either the OP would never turn up again, or would see what we point out and then just not bother to reply and we'd end up binning the thread later anyway. Also with the high post turn-over of this place, we'd never remember what we may need to come back to and look at again or tidy up.

But you now also perhaps see why we dislike the YouTube "tutorial" peddlers who push the banned junk and the "fully loaded" box dealers, as detailed in Nate's blog on the subject. We don't clean up other peoples messes, especially when they're turning a buck on the free nature of Kodi and the naivety, ignorance and frankly greed of some of the more gullible user base out there who want something (valuable media they'd normally have to pay for) for nothing in terms of movies and TV shows/channels.

That's why the rules are there, why everyone has to agree to them (whether they read them or not is up to them, but ignorance is not taken as an excuse) and why they are also linked to at the top of most main pages here.
Thanks trogggy.

Actually, I have just read 2.5 (and the rest) and am even more upset. My request had nothing to do with banned substances, I was only trying to download the Kodi Backup to transfer my channel listings from my iMac to my Mac Pro to keep them in synch automatically not manually. The presence of an unacceptable add on is not a direct indication of guilt. Exodus is there but it is not used because I can see it is supplying pirated material. I just do not know how to remove it safely without breaking everything else. If Miss_80 thought the Mac Pro with Exodus was a problem, it is as well that I did not post a log from the iMac which (I know, I know .....Now) is a tvaddons build! It is deleting as I type.

As I have said I will wait for Krypton and not hold a grudge against the unpaid and generally very helpful moderators and super-users that so many of us depend on.
Thanks also DarrenHill. The lesson is learned but I am glad I got it off my chest!

BTW, I had just read and fully endorse Nate's post.
By the way.
From the home page just navigate:
System > addons > my addons > video-addons.
Select the relevant one, press enter, hit uninstall.
Done.
To clarify the latter point - some of those add-ons (and most especially the builds like the one you're sensibly deleting) can get their script tentacles into all sorts of places and interfere with all sorts of things that on the surface are nothing to do with them and they have no business being involved in. They can also make systems generally unstable if they are checking/accessing sites or other information behind the users back and without their knowledge (which has been alleged to happen in some cases).

So as we've had enough cases of only finding this out late in an investigation into an issue with an unrelated legitimate add-on (or so it appeared initially) we now take the stance that any install contaminated with such junk is not supported here, whether the issue is related to the banned rubbish directly or not. As I said before, we don't clean up the messes that other people make. Any sign of banned junk in either the post or the log means a binning and (usually) a notification about why.

Another blog that may be of interest is this one by Martijn, as you also raise the point about other "custom builds" (which we also don't support for similar reasons to those already given).
I guess I'll be the bad guy...
I am so sick and tired of people accepting things without reading or taking responsibility for their actions. I have read all rules pertaining to the many forums or anything else I have ever signed up and agreed to. Including all the BS that comes from those ridiculous Itunes agreements... Yes, I cannot bring a class action lawsuit against you, blah, blah, blah... I AGREE cause I want to use your software or participate in your discussions on forums and am not an asshat that just wants what they want without understanding any rules. I'd love to see what happens when any of you children break the rules in real life and get arrested for them... Sorry Judge I haven't even heard or read that law... Sorry doesn't work, JAIL!!

How about try taking responsibility for your decisions, actions, and all that comes with being a responsible adult in this world!!!

P.S. Try not saying unintelligent things like "Who has enough time to read the rules"... I have enough time cause I make the damn time.

Whatever...
(2016-07-26, 00:32)miclind Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I'll be the bad guy...
I am so sick and tired of people accepting things without reading or taking responsibility for their actions. I have read all rules pertaining to the many forums or anything else I have ever signed up and agreed to. Including all the BS that comes from those ridiculous Itunes agreements... Yes, I cannot bring a class action lawsuit against you, blah, blah, blah... I AGREE cause I want to use your software or participate in your discussions on forums and am not an asshat that just wants what they want without understanding any rules. I'd love to see what happens when any of you children break the rules in real life and get arrested for them... Sorry Judge I haven't even heard or read that law... Sorry doesn't work, JAIL!!

How about try taking responsibility for your decisions, actions, and all that comes with being a responsible adult in this world!!!

P.S. Try not saying unintelligent things like "Who has enough time to read the rules"... I have enough time cause I make the damn time.

Whatever...
Yeah, I can see how you'd confuse rules for an internet forum with criminal law.
OK. I have uninstalled about everything including my Kodi. I then reinstalled a vanilla Kodi that I downloaded this evening but it still comes up with TVAddons.ag all over it. Where are the files driving this that I need to remove to get back to a clean start. I am happy to delete the lot and start afresh because I can see that this may reinstall itself in Kodi 17 when I download it.
(2016-07-26, 01:20)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I can see how you'd confuse rules for an internet forum with criminal law.
Yeah, I can see how you'd confuse responsibility with the lack of respect for anywhere else you should follow the rules... Oh wait... I do not see a difference but hey thanks for proving my point Smile
This is on the iMac?
I've never used one, but it should just be a case of deleting the kodi stuff at /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/Kodi/ /Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Application Support/Kodi/ and re-starting. All your kodi addons and userdata should be in there.

Edit: mixed up ios and mac there - I did say I'd never used one!
(2016-07-26, 01:25)miclind Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-07-26, 01:20)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I can see how you'd confuse rules for an internet forum with criminal law.
Yeah, I can see how you'd confuse responsibility with the lack of respect for anywhere else you should follow the rules... Oh wait... I do not see a difference but hey thanks for proving my point Smile
Hush.
Pages: 1 2 3