Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Fire TV and hardware acceleration in Krypton
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just installed the July 24, 2016 nightly build of Krypton on a 2014 Fire TV, and a previously working (on Jarvis) Blu-ray rip is now unwatchable with either MediaCodec (Surface) or MediaCodec enabled (the video freezes regularly for several seconds while the audio keeps playing). The file is an 8GB h264 MKV with DTS audio, streaming via SMB over a wired connection. Disabling both MediaCodec (Surface) and MediaCodec makes the video watchable again. Two questions:

1) Is this an expected issue with this particular hardware, and is it going to be resolved in stable builds, or should I expect to have hardware acceleration disabled from now on?

2) What exactly am I losing by disabling MediaCodec? Does the video actually look worse, is the framerate lower, or does the CPU just have to work harder (and make the device run hotter etc)?
Nobody knows cause you fail to provide logging information.

The FireTV is much too slow to play bluray rips on the bar CPU - so whatever made it work for you was for sure not disabling acceleration.

Concerning the stable version: We have no Android maintainer, code submitted (especially by me) is _not_ tested on android at all, it just hopes to keep it alive somehow until a maintainer picks up.
Ah, firetv can certainly play blueray rips on bare cpu. nvidia is not the only android cpu with some balls. AppleTV4 can do it too.
knocks,

It sounds like the same issue I was discussing here. fritsch I have not forgotten about a log file. You can expect to see one later today.
By the way, the CPU mode still caused lagging in video. I downgraded to Jarvis 6.1 and things are fine now (without acceleration).
knocks, hardware acceleration appears to be on the right track. I disabled it about 20 mins ago and have not had a freeze frame since. My log was too large for pastebin, sharing via dropbox. fritsch, let me know if you need me to try out some things. I'd love to help you get to the bottom of it Smile

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20874890/kodi.log
mrdally204 disabling hardware acceleration DID help, but the picture still wasn't smooth. Are you monitoring your frame drops or just looking at the picture visually?
picture visually. I have the 4k model so my machine has a little more power to handle it. Keep in mind I'm watching mostly live tv (transcoded to h264 around 8mbit/sec hdhomerun). I do not notice any frame drops, but my main issue was complete frame freeze for 5 seconds or so before it continued with the audio still playing as you pointed out in your initial post.
After 2 days with acceleration turned off I am still frame freeze free. fritsch have you had an opportunity to look at my log file? Is there anything else I can do to provide more insight to the issue?