Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How can I uninstall/reinstall kodibuntu without losing saved movies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have Kodibuntu version 16 and after I watch a few shows it gets sluggish and then locks up and I have to reboot before I can use it again. If I can manage to exit to Lubuntu and then reopen Kodi, everything is fine again for a few more shows before it locks up again. I ran FreshStart, upgraded to latest Kodi version, etc. but problem persists. Am thinking I just need to start over from scratch but I've got many GB of video files saved on the same drive and no place to move them to and don't want to lose them.

Is there some way I completely remove Kodi but leave the contents of my Home directory so I don't lose anything - and then install it again?

The sluggish lock up problem is only with Kodi - not Lubuntu so it would be fine to leave Lubuntu if that is and option.

Thanks Tom
Yes simply remove it in the normal apt-get way, and delete ~/.kodi folder. Then reinstall.

Specifically

Code:
sudo apt-get remove kodi kodi-bin
mv ~/.kodi ~/.kodibackup
sudo apt-get install kodi

Actually that backs up the .kodi folder instead of downright deleting it. In fact that second line might solve your problem altogether.