Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 7.1 mkv file automatic downmix to 5.1 possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there

I have the system in my signature hooked up to a Denon X4000 with a 5.1 system. Whenever I try to play a mkv file through Kodi in which the audio stream is 7.1, I don't hear any sound.
If the file does not have any other audio streams, I won't be able to watch the movie with sound.

Does anybody know how it is possible to "downmix" (if this is the right term) a 7.1 file to a 5.1? Is this possible at all? If yes, do I need special software to convert that prior to importing the movie into the Kodi database or is it somehow possible with a Kodi option on the fly?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
There should be no problem with Kodi sending 7.1 as your AVR should be doing the downmix if you've got things set up right. Can you pastebin a debug log_file (wiki) playing a 7.1 file with no sound.
(2016-08-07, 03:24)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]There should be no problem with Kodi sending 7.1 as your AVR should be doing the downmix if you've got things set up right. Can you pastebin a debug log_file (wiki) playing a 7.1 file with no sound.

I have no clue why, but now it works. I had some troubles a couple of weeks ago with the sound driver in windows. After update, I switched from Directsound HDMI to WASAPI as recommended here in the forums. Could that be a reason why it suddenly works? My Denon shows after starting the movie: Multichannel In. I think that's still not a real downmix from 7.1 to 5.1 but better than no sound.
Probably you can see something in the log:
http://pastebin.com/jfqgGrg0