Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio getting out of sync on certain shows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am having some strange behaviors which I can't quite figure out, so I thought I'd start a thread and see if I can get some help.

To start with, I am running Windows 7 64-bit, with Kodi 16.2. My media is stored on a QNAP SAN, and played over a wired gigabit ethernet connection. This system was running great for years, but it was in a small form factor case, and I wanted to upgrade the power supply and video card. I ended up replacing the case, motherboard, video card, power supply, and RAM, while keeping the old CPU and HDD(s). It is now an i5 2400, 16GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 960 (4GB) video card. I moved the hard drives, and had to do a repair to the windows install to get it booting, but everything seems to be fine other than this one issue.

After this upgrade, most episodes of certain shows are having the audio get out of sync from the video. The one show which has this happen the most frequently is BattleBots (2015). It seems that the video gets out of sync pretty quickly, and every minute or two there is a visual glitch and things sync again, then it falls out of sync quickly. The same videos play fine on all the other Kodi installations in my house (Raspberry Pi B+, Windows 10 desktop, Windows 10 laptop), and they will play on my HTPC in other players without an issue.. They only get out of sync in Kodi as far as I can tell.

I saw somewhere to press "o" and see if the CPU was getting bogged down, but each core was only around 10% utilization.

I would love any advice I can get about how to troubleshoot this further and find a resolution.

Thanks,
Jon
try a v17 nightly and post your observations regarding this issue.
I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know. I hate to use something that's not even Beta yet, since my wife and kids rely on it as well. If it were just me I don't mind the bleeding edge.. But if this fixes the problems then we can work with it Wink

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
(2016-08-08, 19:07)jbeige Wrote: [ -> ]I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know. I hate to use something that's not even Beta yet, since my wife and kids rely on it as well. If it were just me I don't mind the bleeding edge.. But if this fixes the problems then we can work with it Wink

It's more a case of whether it needs to be fixed. Jarvis is unlikely to receive any more updates.
If the problem is fixed with a Krypton build, then you know the future is good.
If the problem is present with a Krypton build then it can be fixed before release.
On windows you can run a portable mode which you can keep your current kodi version intact. See our wiki page for how to.
Always backup your userdata before trying.
I upgraded to the latest nightly (I didn't see Martijn's post until now), and still am having the same issue. I forgot to mention earlier that I also upgraded to a 4K tv, but I currently have windows and Kodi set to 1080p resolution, and the video file is 720p.. I don't think 4K should be the problem.
(2016-08-09, 03:57)jbeige Wrote: [ -> ]I forgot to mention earlier that I also upgraded to a 4K tv,
Are your other kodi boxes outputting to that tv? My audio goes out of sync after a while with my Kodi pc attached to a tv. It isn't any particular show. From what I found on the internet, it is the "tv's fault", it is the tv that can't keep up with the processing. You might want to have a look at the settings on your tv, or look at your tv manufacturer's forum/site to see if there's anything about the issue/which settings might improve things/a firmware upgrade.
The TV is a Samsung (KU6500 I believe) 55" 4K curved tv.

None of he other devices are outputting to that tv now, but I did have my htpc outputting to it successfully for 2-3 days before my upgrade parts came..

I was messing around with settings some and enabled "Sync Playback to Display".. I played one video, and it seemed to work properly. I will give it a little time and a few more videos before I want to call this solved though..
(2016-08-09, 04:52)jbeige Wrote: [ -> ]before I want to call this solved though..
Mine is annoying. It starts out "in sync" but loses sync over time. You can set a delay in Kodi, I can also set a delay in my speaker system, but when it changes, those settings aren't any use. Hopefully your issue is more easily dealt with.
(2016-08-09, 04:59)bilgepump Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-09, 04:52)jbeige Wrote: [ -> ]before I want to call this solved though..
Mine is annoying. It starts out "in sync" but loses sync over time. You can set a delay in Kodi, I can also set a delay in my speaker system, but when it changes, those settings aren't any use. Hopefully your issue is more easily dealt with.

That's exactly how mine has been.. It starts in sync, but falls out of sync relatively quickly.. But every few minutes it resynchronizes and lasts for a few seconds before it slips back out again..
How is your audio connected? If it's hdmi, it might be something in the hdmi. Are you using a new cable with the latest standard? Optical is supposed to be better.
Please be more precise on the issue. Is audio late or early? How big the the offset?
Make sure you have turned passthrough audio off for further tests.

btw: "Sync Playback to Display" turns off passthrough audio as well.
I am using an HDMI 2.0 cable. The audio gets ahead of the video by at least a second or maybe more than that.

I believe I had passthrough audio turned on, but I will try with it off tonight. Maybe "Sync Playback to Display" disabling the passthrough was all it took. I don't have any sort of sound system, just the TV.