Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Update 16.x to support the same database version as 17.x?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been testing v17.0 Krypton for a while now (alphas and nightlies) and I'm still having video playback issues. I'm starting to come to terms with that there's a good chance these won't be fixed in the final release after reading vtb comments from developers here in the forum.

I have three devices I would like to be able to share database with:

1) Mac Mini - Mid 2010 - NVIDIA GeForce 320M
2) MacBook Pro - Early 2011 - Intel HD Graphics 3000
3) ATV4

Both the MacBook Pro and the Mac Mini have too intrusive video playback issues when running 17.x for it to be acceptable, so they require 16.x. The ATV4 is only available for 17.x if I haven't missed anything.

I would like to share libraries between these three devices, but since they require both 16.x and 17.x it doesn't work. Would it be possible to release a 16.x using same database versions as 17.x so they can share the video library?
no, absolutely not possible
Switch to an Emby or Plex backend server for Kodi, in place of MySQL: Sharing and syncing (wiki).

IMO, it works better than MySQL, works across different Kodi versions, across platforms and different apps, and allows for optional transcoding for mobile use. Both are free to use their servers.
+1 for Plex, MySQL is so 90's now Smile
Well, it's Kodi 's monolithic architecture which is very much 80's Wink
I'm able to install Plex Media Server on my Synology NAS, so I'll give it a go.

What's the difference between PleXBMC and PlexCodiConnect? It looks like PlexCodiConnect is newer so should I assume it's "better" and preferred over PlexXBMC?
IIRC, PleXBMC displays the library as add-on content and not actually the internal library, while PlexKodiConnect syncs Plex with the internal Kodi library, which is pretty much like MySQL.
It makes me sad to see several team kodi members (former and current) dissing a core functionality of kodi and recommending plex instead (as a backend)

I understand the kodi team never really was a fan of mysql. I'm used to hearing that kodi devs weren't interested in developing or maintaining mysql and that upnp was the future.

Unfortunately those comments go way back to 2011 yet there is still no viable alternative (from kodi) and the current upnp implementation leaves much to desire.

I had been watching Montellese's efforts to implement his version of upnp on steroids but it seems to be his development efforts slowed down almost to a halt.

With that said, I'm still using mysql and it works great. Although it has the annoyance that all the kodi boxes have to be on the same version
(2016-08-12, 12:40)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC, PleXBMC displays the library as add-on content and not actually the internal library, while PlexKodiConnect syncs Plex with the internal Kodi library, which is pretty much like MySQL.
So does plexkodiconnect populate the kodi internal sqlite database? So each kodi instance has its own internal db? that's nothing like mysql.
(2016-08-12, 23:17)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-12, 12:40)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC, PleXBMC displays the library as add-on content and not actually the internal library, while PlexKodiConnect syncs Plex with the internal Kodi library, which is pretty much like MySQL.
So does plexkodiconnect populate the kodi internal sqlite database? So each kodi instance has its own internal db? that's nothing like mysql.

It's like MySQL in comparison to the other add-on. One add-on shows the library as a listing in an add-on, while the other uses Kodi's internal library features/listings/etc.

The only difference with MySQL, to the end user, is a small delay between syncing the local and backend database. But yes, they are very different on a technical level.

In theory someone could even bridge the two. They could have a faux MySQL server interfacing with the Plex or Emby data and Kodi. However, that would be a lot of work just to avoid the small delay.
(2016-08-12, 17:22)aptalca Wrote: [ -> ]It makes me sad to see several team kodi members (former and current) dissing a core functionality of kodi and recommending plex instead (as a backend)

I'm not dismissing MySQL. It's simply that there are multiple options, and for many users one option is better. Kodi itself has multiple ways to do similar things. I don't use either MySQL or Emby/Plex for personal use (most because I'm lazy). However, I did write most of the current wiki guide for MySQL and have helped a ton of people with troubleshooting their MySQL setups.

The fact that Kodi can be a client to any number of backends is a good thing. That philosophy is how the PVR features work, after all. Working with other software, especially other open source software such as Emby, is great. Kodi itself would not exist without using software from many other groups. IMO, one of the worst things a software project can do is reject something out of hand because of "not invented here" syndrome.
I would love to see a more close relationship with emby. Both emby and plex are client/server and I've always thought that's a good model. Is there a 'plexkodiconnect' for emby? Or is it an addon?
The Emby add-on is actually what PlexKodiConnect uses as a base. It works the same way and imports/syncs to the internal Kodi library.
Thanks Ned.