Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Someone just banned my post
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

really confused... I was just asking about why a movie wasn't working, and as requested submitted a log file.
They then pushed me into spam for wizards or addons...

I have no idea what they are talking about... the only thing I have on this machine is Kodi.. I just got it a couple days ago and don't know anything ABOUT wizards.
I am just trying to watch movies from my drive.

Please advise.
Ok, so I may have figured this out.. there are things that came with this box... the only things I have added are Pandora and Netflix.
I am going to try to remove whatever is here
Have a read of the forum rules and specifically about banned addons (you did agree you read these when you signed up..)

Also worth remembering kodi DOES NOT provide content. If you are watching movies on your box which you didn't buy that is piracy.
Have a look at this blog and this one for more background to what I explained when the other thread was binned.

If you need support in removing the banned crap then we can provide that. Assistance in removing them is the only support we offer for banned add-ons (wiki).
The specific addon I spotted on your log was gen****. Clear your machine out and you'll be welcome to post.
There are others in there as well if you carry on down...
I'm sure there are @theglen you may be better with a clean out and reinstall.
99% of the time I wouldn't be bothered by just trashing such threads, because most are asking about the add-ons themselves, but maybe give some slack to those who aren't doing that. The idea is to not support those add-ons and inform users of this. I don't think trashing every thread that has a log that mentions one of those add-ons is the best way to go about it. It's fair to ask for a new log with a clean install, or to not want to help someone with a bunch of crap installed, but then say that and give the user time to respond. This isn't a virus that has to be quarantined at first sight.

Had he not actually mentioned playing back files from his local drive, then it would be different and I would understand the assumption.

Also, you can say the actual name of the add-on. They're not taboos. If anything, it helps people who are searching to see that "Genesis is pirated content and not supported. Don't ask for help here." :)
@ned - that's more or less what I did say in my pre-ban post. As to time to respond, if they are truly interested in getting support here by removing the junk and gathering a new log, then the appropriate place for that is a new thread. The key point is that whilst the thread/post is binned, the user isn't otherwise affected in any way, and are free to post again entirely unrestricted (although if they persist in violating the rules then we take further steps).

In an ideal world I'm sure we'd all love to answer each and every help request, point out the error of peoples ways where appropriate and generally raise worldwide karma to new levels. Unfortunately we can't do that, nor can we keep track of each and every thread and log which has dubious or rule-violating content to maintain an educational dialogue. Look how many threads end up in the bin per day as evidence of that (and how many people across many timezones now help to deal with them). We don't trash every thread that mentions them, but we trash any thread containing a log including them, usually with a post indicating why.

Fundamentally most of the issues are that users just don't bother to read the forum rules (wiki), but ignorance is not an excuse.

I would agree with your final paragraph though, except that they're not taboos, they are a parasitic virus which are helping to kill off Kodi, as Nate's blog eloquently put it.
The point is, it's not against the rules to have "genesis" installed and showing up in a log file. There has never been a rule about trashing threads because of unrelated pirate content mentions in the log. (It's against the rules to ask for help with that add-on, or if it's obvious that said add-on is the cause of the user's issue, of course). It does not hurt anything to keep the thread up and use that first thread to say "sorry, but if you want help you need to use a clean install" (or something to that extent).

You're free to trash such threads if you feel that is what is best. A lot is still left up to the discretion of the mods, and the forum rules don't really prevent them from taking further action if they feel the need to. However, I see this happening more and more, now mods are afraid to mention the add-ons by name. When that happens it feels like people are forgetting the point, and end up making more work for themselves. This user is trying to watch their own files from their own drive, so I would recommend not being so quick to slap their hand (which is how it will appear to that user). These are the kinds users we want, the kind that we can guide and actually help.

I might not be a member of Team Kodi anymore, but I was one of the people who wrote the forum rules. If there were statistics kept about what has been deleted, you'd probably find that I have trashed more threads for pirate content than anyone else. I'm sure as heck not perfect, but I was a pretty good judge of when it was effective to bin a thread or not. For whatever that's worth.

That's just my two cents. Feel free to ignore it, it won't hurt my feelings. I'm probably reading too much into the situation, anyways :)
(2016-08-15, 09:42)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]I would agree with your final paragraph though, except that they're not taboos, they are a parasitic virus which are helping to kill off Kodi, as Nate's blog eloquently put it.
Kodi mods are not helping themselves tho...

@ DarrenHill,
@ nickr,
@ any other Moderator that cares,

I've been fighting an Uphill battle to get dodgy sellers that sell known dirt cheap Pirate boxes from being linked to in the Kodi forum. Those boxes then get recommended in the Hardware section of this forum by unscrupulous users. I'm even suspecting vendors posing as Newbies. And yes I have reported them. No action at all from the mods, they are asleep at the wheel or watching the Olympics Wink

These devices come from known Bad sellers, Gearbest as an example.
Certain users don't give a shit about Kodi - so long as they get cheap hardware. What happens then.....
Well they end up polluting this Android Sub-Forum with these crap Add-ons and make more work for the moderators, and so the cycle repeats...

See this post to see what is being pre packaged in these cheap Android devices:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2392529

So with that in mind I ask you to moderate these two posts and remove the links to dodgy bad sellers that all sell devices that pack exactly the same piracy Apps with Android:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2392402
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2393869

What would definitely help you guys long term is a very strong statement from some Team-Kodi mod/member, laying down the law that pirate Sellers links will not be tolerated and users warned and/or banned for repeat offences. Splash the warning everywhere in this thread, Page #1 for starters.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=255686

You now have the situation where some users are semi-endorsing purchasing from known Pirate sellers and supplying http links posted on Kodi forums, even after they have been told to stop. All they care about is the price of Hardware.

BTW: I don't agree with Ned and his touchy feely approach, we have gone way past education at this point for Android Piracy.
Users know it plain illegal, and they then have the temerity to seek help here on the forums. Just Nuke the lot I say !
Disagree all you want, but the forum rules are not about education or fighting piracy on a level beyond the forum. The forum rules are not meant to fight a war.

There are no rules against those links. Please do not hound the mods for not removing them.

Realistically, it makes no damn difference if those links are removed or not. That's like pissing in the ocean. Give it a rest.
And for that matter, this is not a touchly feely approach. This is being realistic. I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

EDIT: This is in reply to wrxtasy and not at all related to the original topic/thread/etc.
Regarding links, this would be more practical w:nofollow (wiki).
(2016-08-15, 11:33)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Disagree all you want, but the forum rules are not about education or fighting piracy on a level beyond the forum. The forum rules are not meant to fight a war.
Not talking about forum rules here Ned, I'm just reporting on Posts.

Quote:There are no rules against those links. Please do not hound the mods for not removing them.
Asking for two posts to be moderated, is hardly what you would call Hounding. Jeez, Gimme a break !

Quote:Realistically, it makes no damn difference if those links are removed or not. That's like pissing in the ocean. Give it a rest.
If we cannot attempt to keep our own house in order removing a few links, no matter how hopeless it seems then we should all give up now.

The Piracy Box Sellers and youTube Promotors Are Killing Kodi

I will keep reporting these sorts of links, you can call that hounding, being a royal PITA, an annoyance, whatever you like. I simply don't care.
Pages: 1 2