Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Fire TV] Krypton rendering broken with mediacodec, no passthrough
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I have now tried Krypton Alpha 1, Alpha 2, and Beta 1, and I'm experiencing 2 major issues on my Fire TV:

1) mpeg2 content in a MKV container (from my DVD rips) will not render properly if MediaCodec acceleration or MediaCodec (surface) are enabled. The timer ticks, but no audio is produced, and no video is ever shown. h.264 interlaced content in mpeg transport streams (recorded from satellite) will try to play, but can't get past the first frame. h.264 BluRay rips in MKV containers still seem to play with MediaCodec acceleration enabled. All of these seem to work fine with both MediaCodec settings turned off.

2) audio passthrough does not work with any sources, regardless if it's AC3 or DTS. GUI sound effects seem to work with passthrough enabled, but no audio works while playing media until passthrough is disabled.

MrMC doesn't work with passthrough either (I thought this wasn't implemented yet for MrMCHuh) but doesn't seem to have the rendering problems.

Has anyone else experienced these issues with Krypton? If you're aware of it, fine.

If not, let me know and I'll post a debug log.

Thanks,

-Wes
MrMC does work with passthrough on the fireTV. Make sure you are running the latest release.

Do I need to make a personal visit ? Smile
How would you know? Oh... Smile

I thought MrMC was auto-updating. I'm probably on a pretty old version. I'll update it and try shortly.

If that doesn't work you can make the personal visit. I promised you a beer like 8 years ago.
Deal, but I'm on a road trip right now. On the other side of the country, Pacific Northwest.
MrMC does indeed work with passthrough, sorry.

So Kodi 16 works fine with the video rendering and passthrough audio, but all versions of 17 I've tried so far don't work.
Just an FYI: MrMC fork vectors all mpeg2/interlaced content to the FFMpeg sw codec. MediaCodec, in general, cannot handle them. In fact, mpeg2 or h264 interlaced content is not even a valid MediaCodec format as listed by google. Some devices have extended MediaCodec format to handle this type of content but v17 Kodi assumes all devices support mpeg2 or h264 interlaced content under MediaCodec, which is wrong.
Nice - so Android's MediaCodec does not support decoding interlaced content at all? - That's not funny at all. Goodbye LiveTV.

Edit: VLC supports it since API 21: https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/v...31502.html - so something upstream has changed to support it?
Not sure why you say 'Goodby LiveTV', most Android quad cpu's have plenty of ponies to handle it in sw. Even the AppleTV4 dual 64bit A8's have the ponies to handle it.

One possible thing, "Codec-specific data can also be included in the format passed to configure in ByteBuffer entries with keys "csd-0", "csd-1", etc". For h264, SPS goes in csd-0, PPS goes in csd-1. Not both into csd0-0. https://developer.android.com/reference/...Codec.html
Just thought of a FireTV trying to decode 1080i50 and deinterlacing it with yadif afterwards. From the Shield thread I have seen the GPU drivers are currently so bad that even simple things like Lanczos3 upscaling does not work without sever stutter. So yes, perhaps it's good to go the CPU route.
That's really interesting.

I record my "Live TV" stuff from Dish Network with an R5000 USB tuner, and it comes as an h.264 interlaced transport stream.

Trying to play with Kodi 17 with MediaCodec enabled just shows me a single frame and can't continue, but to my shock and surprise it seems to work with MediaCodec disabled.

I can't believe the Fire TV has the power to decode 1080p30 interlaced in software.

I can't get passthrough to work in Krypton regardless of settings, though.
Hehe.. What would you think would be displayed by mediacodec if de-interlacing was not supported?

It's just that most of the boxes have shitty hardware de-interlacing (plain weave)

PS no idea why vlc seems to think 21 would have better de-interlacing...
FireOS3 (api 17) did it, although poorly as stated before.
(2016-08-23, 01:07)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Hehe.. What would you think would be displayed by mediacodec if de-interlacing was not supported?

It's just that most of the boxes have shitty hardware de-interlacing (plain weave)

PS no idea why vlc seems to think 21 would have better de-interlacing...
FireOS3 (api 17) did it, although poorly as stated before.

Crap. like you see now Smile
(2016-08-22, 17:57)MrMC Wrote: [ -> ]Just an FYI: MrMC fork vectors all mpeg2/interlaced content to the FFMpeg sw codec. MediaCodec, in general, cannot handle them. In fact, mpeg2 or h264 interlaced content is not even a valid MediaCodec format as listed by google. Some devices have extended MediaCodec format to handle this type of content but v17 Kodi assumes all devices support mpeg2 or h264 interlaced content under MediaCodec, which is wrong.
Yes finding the same issue with mediacodec on AMLogic devices as well and Kodi v17. Sad
This will remain broken unless Google an/or AMLogic fix it going forward, and these AML devices have excellent Hardware deinterlacing.

As Fritsch's said its Goodbye LiveTV at the moment.
LiveTV works fine in MrMC fork, else Amet would smack me with a trout Smile As for Kodi, that's what happens when you believe in specs and code accordingly. It's the device behavior that matters as this ultimately is what the user sees.
Would that be a rainbow or brown trout perhaps ? Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4