Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi crashes shortly after being started
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
System specification:

KODI version: 16.1
Architecture: x86_64 (Intel-based)
Kernel version: 4.4.0-34-generic

I am running very few add-on's and the eminence skin.

After having done a do-release-upgrade and having my OS upgraded from Ubuntu v14 to 16, Kodi had been uninstalled.

I then reinstalled the application but noticed I was running only Kodi v15.
Hitting an error on the way, I finally managed to remove this outdated version and install the most recent release (16.1).

Now I'm facing a bigger problem, however, since Kodi crashes very shortly after being launched, effectively not leaving me any time to even produce a log, besides the one generated automatically from the application crash. Hopefully that'll do: http://pastebin.com/LZXa23pZ

I really hope someone can help me, as I'm a bit stuck here.
Pretty much the same thing happened to someone I was trying to help yesterday (among other issues): http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=287691

Ultimately he wound up dropping back to an old version of Ubuntu (the very first 14.04 release version) from the repo at https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archiv...u/kodi-old and an old Isengard version of Kodi from https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archiv...u/kodi-old and then everything worked.

I suspect some weird interaction between Ubuntu and newer Kodi versions in certain setups but I have no idea if the problem is Ubuntu or Kodi. In a worst case scenario, each will blame the other and it will never get fixed. I HOPE that does not happen.

fritsch posted that he should have submitted a debug log (second post in the thread linked in the first paragraph above); maybe you could do that if you really want it fixed - IF you can even get it to generate one.
@scorpse:
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get install kodi kodi-bin
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

if still crashing, turn on debug logging via advancedsettings.xml (see wiki) and post such a crash again. What @birdwatcher refers to has zero in numbers (0) to do with your issue.
@fritsch

Thanks for your reply.

I tried what you suggested, but it didn't seem to make any changes and so the problem persists.

I've since then enabled debug logging in the way you suggested. Here's the logfile: http://pastebin.com/x6pBEvdY
Can you please disable UPNP Server stuff? Stop kodi and edit your guisettings.xml - if you don't reach the menu before crashing?
I tried removing this whole part of the guisettings.xml:

airplayvolumecontrol>
<devicename>KODI</devicename>
<esallinterfaces>true</esallinterfaces>
<escontinuousdelay default="true">25</escontinuousdelay>
<esenabled default="true">true</esenabled>
<esinitialdelay default="true">750</esinitialdelay>
<esmaxclients default="true">20</esmaxclients>
<esport default="true">9777</esport>
<esportrange default="true">10</esportrange>
<upnpannounce default="true">true</upnpannounce>
<upnpcontroller>true</upnpcontroller>
<upnplookforexternalsubtitles default="true">false</

I was well aware that I might not have had to remove anything from the xml config, but rather just edit it, and having taken out the entire part as pasted above, it seems Kodi has re-created a default guisettings.xml file, which has effectively scrapped my skin and some or all my customizations of Kodi.

It has, however fixed the appcrash, so there's that Smile

With regards to recovering my customizations of Kodi, it seems my old guisettings.xml file has been kept (prior to my changes, I assume). Do you have an idea as to how I might restore my configuration from this config file - without re-introducing the appcrash? I tried restoring the backup I created on 31. july with the backup add-on program, but that had Kodi crashing on start again - so, definitely not the way to go Smile

Thanks for all your help thus far, and for being patient with a newbie such as myself.
I think this UPNP bug was fixed with kodi v17 iirc.
If it's the UPnP bug I stumbled into, yes, it should be fixed in 17.

@scporse - try stopping Kodi and then remove/move/rename any *.fi files in ~/.kodi/temp, then restart Kodi (with UPnP enabled). It was all to do with old cache data not making sense because of changes between versions - so it screws up when Kodi tries to serve the cached values in response to a UPnP request.
Cheers for the follow up info.

It seems, then, that I could have fixed the issue in a less invasive manner if only I had a been a bit more patient and waited for your reply, @Prof yaffle Smile

Due to my removing of the entire "airplayvolumecontrol" section from guisettings.xml, which resulted in my skin and customizations/settings being wiped, I ended up spending most of yesterday evening setting Kodi up anew (for the second time).
I'm not complaining, though, since I managed to tweak a few things to more optimal settings in the process. I suppose one has to look on the positive side of things Smile

Thanks again to @fritsch and @Prof yaffle for providing a solution to the appcrash issue and for providing an explanation to the problem, which i (mostly) understand.