Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-09-01, 18:44)Wintermute0110 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. Advanced MAME Launcher will support number of players and many more filtering options. Thing is, in MAME there is a very reliably source of metadata which is MAME itself. For No-Intro ROMs and AEL, however, there is not a reliably source of metadata that tells you the number of players accurately and that's the reason I have not included that field in the database. If you find a place with good nplayers coverage for No-Intro ROMs I will consider adding it to AEL.

You are right but I don't use MAME, just console emulator.
If the scraper can get info with "thegamesdb", why it doesn't for number of players ? Perhaps less accurate than No-Intro, but very usefull at least ! We can edit by hand some errors...
And then, we can browse and group with context menu like RCB...
Realist ?
(2016-09-01, 18:52)Wintermute0110 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe you need to organise your ROM collection with a ROM manager so all your ROMs will have a consistent name and will match artwork collections you download. ROM managers you can use to rename your ROMs are RomCenter, RomVault and CLRMAMEPro. Google a bit to learn how to use them.

If that works better than the fuzzy rename software to make them match (witch did work well) I'll give them a try. Hint taken about Google, however, I can only google help on something once I know it exists. That's what I am relying on the experts (like yourself) for, just to point e in the right direction. So thank you again.

(2016-09-01, 18:52)Wintermute0110 Wrote: [ -> ]If you ROMs have the correct No-Intro name then AEL offline scraper will correctly match them and put your metadata in place. Artwork scrapers are currently not great but offline metadata scraper works pretty well. Keep in mind that you need both correct ROM name and correct Launcher platform or the offline scraper won't work at all.

I'm still a bit confused here. (Just a bit). We're talking about offline metadata scrapers which, as I understand it, means the scraper will look somewhere for metadata that matches ABC123X.nes on my local machine, correct? I think I'm learning that the metadata is actually in the rom file itself? I've found where to get this data and some tools for adding it into my rom files but what I don't see in the .dat files from no-intro is a game description like I saw with RCB after an online scrape. Did that com efrom online or is that available offline?

I'll do some more reading as time permits but I think I'm on the right track here so only jump in and stop me if I'm headed down a path of wasting my time. I'll start with an organizer (were those in any particular order? preference, ease of use?) and see what I get for results. I'll then move on to looking at metadata (and going back to read about AL to see which skins supported all metadata. Actually, I should start there, it may be there already!).

Thanks for your support here. I didn't set out to get this far off the topic of this thread but one thing lead to another and here we are. Aside from any feedback anyone wants to give here I'll find or start a more appropriate thread going forward unless it is AEL specific.

Thanks again!
Alright so as it was mentioned the file linked in the first post doesn't provide the context menu to add a launcher, but the ones on github does. Maybe it's fixed by now, but just in case I mention it again.

Are there any other skins beside Cirrus that display boxart and similar game stuff right off the bat? (not asking for it to display all metadata and assets without editing of course)
(2016-09-01, 22:32)Slapster Wrote: [ -> ]I'm still a bit confused here. (Just a bit). We're talking about offline metadata scrapers which, as I understand it, means the scraper will look somewhere for metadata that matches ABC123X.nes on my local machine, correct? I think I'm learning that the metadata is actually in the rom file itself? I've found where to get this data and some tools for adding it into my rom files but what I don't see in the .dat files from no-intro is a game description like I saw with RCB after an online scrape. Did that com efrom online or is that available offline?

I'll do some more reading as time permits but I think I'm on the right track here so only jump in and stop me if I'm headed down a path of wasting my time. I'll start with an organizer (were those in any particular order? preference, ease of use?) and see what I get for results. I'll then move on to looking at metadata (and going back to read about AL to see which skins supported all metadata. Actually, I should start there, it may be there already!).

Thanks for your support here. I didn't set out to get this far off the topic of this thread but one thing lead to another and here we are. Aside from any feedback anyone wants to give here I'll find or start a more appropriate thread going forward unless it is AEL specific.

Thanks again!

The offline scraper is an xml database with all the metadata. AEL already has it, for both MAME and selected No-Intro platforms. Metadata is not in the rom, is in the xml database. You can have a look at these databases (and even change them) with a text editor. As opposed to RCB, you do not have to download additional files and do complicated setups for offline scrapers, in AEL it works out of the box.

ROM managers are more sofisticated tools that match your ROMS by crc and are able to rename ROMs. AEL just uses the rom filename to match against the metadata database, hence it is important that the ROMS have the correct name. Notice that MAME will only run ROMS if they have the correct name. Console emulators, on the other hand, do not care about rom names at all.

The easiest rom manager to use is romcenter, then romvault and finally clrmamepro. Feature wise the list is in the opposite order.

Feel free to comment any emulation issue here, not only AEL/AML specific, cos this can benefit other users until I finished the tutorials in AEL github wiki.

Sent from my SC-02G
(2016-09-02, 00:21)firewater Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any other skins beside Cirrus that display boxart and similar game stuff right off the bat? (not asking for it to display all metadata and assets without editing of course)

Not to the best of my knowledge. Cirrus has good support for metadata but not for artwork. Work is under way to provide proper views for AEL artwork. Stay tuned over the following weeks!

Sent from my SC-02G
Wintermute0110, thanks again for your help setting up AEL on my computer. AEL has been incredibly fast and stable.

Do you have any plans to add multi-disk support in? I have my roms set up for Advanced Launcher, which only scanned the first disk in a set and popped up a submenu to select the other disks. It did this by looking for a "-cdXX" appended to the file name to determine the CD number, and allowed you to specify what names were shown in the interface with curly brackets (for example "Chrono Cross {English Disk 2}-cd2.cue" would show up as entry 2 in the submenu as "English Disk 2."). It was super handy for multi-disk games and hiding mods behind a sub-category.

Is there anything like this in the works for AEL?
I am unable to scrape metadata for any games. I get the following in my log file when attempting to run a scrape for standalone launchers

Log file
Does this addon work with Kodi Krypton beta?
(2016-09-02, 18:21)nexusle Wrote: [ -> ]Does this addon work with Kodi Krypton beta?

It does.

Sent from my SC-02G
I have installed AEL. But when i go to advanced and create write xml for the emulators it gives me an error.
I have installed it on windows 10 and when through the steps but when i try to add roms it says no xml file?
Can anyone help me?
(2016-09-01, 21:42)myghalloween Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-01, 18:44)Wintermute0110 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. Advanced MAME Launcher will support number of players and many more filtering options. Thing is, in MAME there is a very reliably source of metadata which is MAME itself. For No-Intro ROMs and AEL, however, there is not a reliably source of metadata that tells you the number of players accurately and that's the reason I have not included that field in the database. If you find a place with good nplayers coverage for No-Intro ROMs I will consider adding it to AEL.

If the scraper can get info with "thegamesdb", why it doesn't for number of players ? Perhaps less accurate than No-Intro, but very usefull at least ! We can edit by hand some errors...
Realist ?

Wintermute0110, what do you think of that ?
(2016-09-02, 21:01)myghalloween Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-01, 21:42)myghalloween Wrote: [ -> ]

Realist ?

Will have a look next week in detail. Billyc999 database has nplayers NFO. Will check RetroarchDB and if that also has nplayers will add a nplayers metadata field.
(2016-09-02, 19:53)GerritAmsterdam Wrote: [ -> ]I have installed AEL. But when i go to advanced and create write xml for the emulators it gives me an error.
I have installed it on windows 10 and when through the steps but when i try to add roms it says no xml file?
Can anyone help me?

Can you be more specific about your problem?
(2016-09-02, 13:55)atsumori Wrote: [ -> ]Wintermute0110, thanks again for your help setting up AEL on my computer. AEL has been incredibly fast and stable.

Do you have any plans to add multi-disk support in? I have my roms set up for Advanced Launcher, which only scanned the first disk in a set and popped up a submenu to select the other disks. It did this by looking for a "-cdXX" appended to the file name to determine the CD number, and allowed you to specify what names were shown in the interface with curly brackets (for example "Chrono Cross {English Disk 2}-cd2.cue" would show up as entry 2 in the submenu as "English Disk 2."). It was super handy for multi-disk games and hiding mods behind a sub-category.

Is there anything like this in the works for AEL?

Will think about that, but currently I will focus on the artwork scrapers and another couple of bugs.

What I do for the multidisc games is to create a separate folder, put all the ISOs there, and then create a .cue file. Then, I tell AEL to scan just for CUE files only. Would this method work for you?
(2016-09-02, 21:21)Wintermute0110 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-02, 21:01)myghalloween Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-09-01, 21:42)myghalloween Wrote: [ -> ]You are right but I don't use MAME, just console emulator.
Realist ?

Will have a look next week in detail. Billyc999 database has nplayers NFO. Will check RetroarchDB and if that also has nplayers will add a nplayers metadata field.

OK. Good news... I look forward to the result
May the Force be with You ! Nod