Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Advanced Emulator Launcher - Multi-emulator frontend for Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@MKANET

Had some trouble with LNK as well, although this was because of a special character in a file, which led to an error while scraping.

When creating a LNK launcher an going to the directory with your LNK files, it is normal that no files are shown - AEL is just looking for folders at that moment, not for files. As a platform, select Microsoft Windows and choose your artwork directory. Aftwards, when scraping, everything should work as intended and AEL should find and scrape the LNK files in the directory you've selected. Personally I went for online scrapers only, which has worked pretty good so far.

----------

@wintermute

I may have found a bug. When re-scraping a launcher (because of games having been scraped incorrectly, which I have removed and went for semi-automatic scraping afterwards) and getting to the point where to select artwork, chosing the existing artwork leads to an error that aborts the whole scraping process - everytime!

On top of that it would be nice not always having to select the game while semi-automatic scraping for every piece of artwork - thus I have to select a game like 10 to 15 times for a single game being scraped, which becomes pretty tedious very fast!
(2017-06-08, 01:04)MKANET Wrote: [ -> ]@Wintermute0110

I created a valid Windows .lnk file pointing to:
D:\Games\Steam\Steam.exe steam://rungameid/391220

However, when I select "LNK launcher (Windows only)" in AEL; and, browse to the path where the lnk file exists, AEL file browser doesn't show the file. Actually, none of the files are visible; except for the Artwork subdirectory. I am definitely pointing AEL to the correct path (see below screenshot).

Also, if I select "Standalone launcher (Game/Application)", the AEL file browser doesn't have any issues seeing the .cmd file I created. Interestingly, it also can see the .lnk file too!?

Lastly, when I create a Standalone launcher (using the .cmd file I created), the Offline Scraper doesn't have the Windows database available.

Any chance you could please help me to get AEL to see the valid Windows .lnk files I created? Also, the Windows Offline Scraper database is disabled for all Windows games.

Thanks in advance!

After you create the LNK launcher open the launcher context menu, select "Add ROMs", "Scan for new ROMs". That should populate your launcher and scrape all the LNK files it founds. Also, have a look at AEL settings, make sure you have the right scanner policies and the scraper you want selected before scanning.

If you add more LNK files to the launcher you run the ROM scanner again. New found LNK files will be scraped and added to the launcher.
(2017-06-08, 08:30)Turnspit Wrote: [ -> ]I may have found a bug. When re-scraping a launcher (because of games having been scraped incorrectly, which I have removed and went for semi-automatic scraping afterwards) and getting to the point where to select artwork, chosing the existing artwork leads to an error that aborts the whole scraping process - everytime!

I will need a debug log to track down the problem. You have instructions on the first post about how to generate and post the log.

(2017-06-08, 08:30)Turnspit Wrote: [ -> ]On top of that it would be nice not always having to select the game while semi-automatic scraping for every piece of artwork - thus I have to select a game like 10 to 15 times for a single game being scraped, which becomes pretty tedious very fast!

You are right. I haven't revised the semi-automatic scraping in a long time. I will make sure the first game searched is cached so subsequent pieces of artwork use the same game.
Thanks so much for explaining. I didn't realize a single launcher can have several lnk files. I will try that when I get home. Thanks again!

(2017-06-08, 10:37)Wintermute0110 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-06-08, 01:04)MKANET Wrote: [ -> ]@Wintermute0110

I created a valid Windows .lnk file pointing to:
D:\Games\Steam\Steam.exe steam://rungameid/391220

However, when I select "LNK launcher (Windows only)" in AEL; and, browse to the path where the lnk file exists, AEL file browser doesn't show the file. Actually, none of the files are visible; except for the Artwork subdirectory. I am definitely pointing AEL to the correct path (see below screenshot).

Also, if I select "Standalone launcher (Game/Application)", the AEL file browser doesn't have any issues seeing the .cmd file I created. Interestingly, it also can see the .lnk file too!?

Lastly, when I create a Standalone launcher (using the .cmd file I created), the Offline Scraper doesn't have the Windows database available.

Any chance you could please help me to get AEL to see the valid Windows .lnk files I created? Also, the Windows Offline Scraper database is disabled for all Windows games.

Thanks in advance!

After you create the LNK launcher open the launcher context menu, select "Add ROMs", "Scan for new ROMs". That should populate your launcher and scrape all the LNK files it founds. Also, have a look at AEL settings, make sure you have the right scanner policies and the scraper you want selected before scanning.

If you add more LNK files to the launcher you run the ROM scanner again. New found LNK files will be scraped and added to the launcher.
I was able to create a lnk launcher. However, when I select for it to scan for new ROMs, AEL crashes. Below, is the log for Kodi (when the error happened). There are two lnk files in the specified ROM directory. I was able to manually add 1 ROM (by manually selecting the lnk file).

The ROM I manually added does execute the respective LNK file. However, I'm not seeing any fanart for that ROM. I'm guessing it might be because AEL crashes while automatically scanning ROMs?

Anyway, here's the error log:
AEL error log during automatic ROM scan
@Rufoo Where can we download skin (Skin xxxxx (Kodi Krypton) )
I just did a search on Kodi forums, it looks like "Advanced Launcher" does/did exactly what I want for launching Steam games (non emulator/ROM games). However, it looks like that addon was abandoned by the developer.

Is AEL "beta" the only alternative to "Advanced Launcher" for Kodi currently? Ideally, I was hoping for a very simple PC game launcher (for modern Windows PC games) that I just point it to a folder with Windows shortcuts to all my games; and, let the launcher do the rest (with fully automatic fanart scraping). ...Similar to how I would justr point Kodi to TV or movie media folders.

I saw there was a "Steam Launcher" addon; however, the doesn't actually use the Kodi UI.

Thanks in advance!
(2017-06-13, 02:23)MKANET Wrote: [ -> ]Is AEL "beta" the only alternative to "Advanced Launcher" for Kodi currently? Ideally, I was hoping for a very simple PC game launcher (for modern Windows PC games) that I just point it to a folder with Windows shortcuts to all my games; and, let the launcher do the rest (with fully automatic fanart scraping). ...Similar to how I would justr point Kodi to TV or movie media folders.

AEL does exactly what you want it to do. I described the process a few steps earlier, it's pretty straightforward.
(2017-06-09, 02:58)MKANET Wrote: [ -> ]I was able to create a lnk launcher. However, when I select for it to scan for new ROMs, AEL crashes. Below, is the log for Kodi (when the error happened). There are two lnk files in the specified ROM directory. I was able to manually add 1 ROM (by manually selecting the lnk file).

The ROM I manually added does execute the respective LNK file. However, I'm not seeing any fanart for that ROM. I'm guessing it might be because AEL crashes while automatically scanning ROMs?

Please use the latest stable released version (0.9.6 I think). The error you get is because some changes introduced in the development version in Github. Your report will be useful for the next version but I think latest stable version should work OK for you.
Thanks so much! I just cleanly installed 0.9.6 from zip.

I just created a LNK launcher (pointing to the Windows directory with working Windows shortcuts to all my steam games). I also pointed the LNK launcher to an empty Artwork directory (for it to download scraped fanart for all my games).

However, when I "Search ROMs in Launcher" via context menu (after creating my LNK launcher correctly), AEL, says "Launcher KSON not found. Add ROMs to Launcher".

Is there a step I'm missing? I did notice there's an update available for download for 0.9.6. However, I'm not sure if that would fix the issue I'm having ...or, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks again for your help,
MKANET

(2017-06-19, 12:20)Wintermute0110 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-06-09, 02:58)MKANET Wrote: [ -> ]I was able to create a lnk launcher. However, when I select for it to scan for new ROMs, AEL crashes. Below, is the log for Kodi (when the error happened). There are two lnk files in the specified ROM directory. I was able to manually add 1 ROM (by manually selecting the lnk file).

Please use the latest stable released version (0.9.6 I think). The error you get is because some changes introduced in the development version in Github. Your report will be useful for the next version but I think latest stable version should work OK for you.
A small mod for those who like Estuary and are using AEL
(2017-06-19, 20:08)MKANET Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks so much! I just cleanly installed 0.9.6 from zip.

I just created a LNK launcher (pointing to the Windows directory with working Windows shortcuts to all my steam games). I also pointed the LNK launcher to an empty Artwork directory (for it to download scraped fanart for all my games).

However, when I "Search ROMs in Launcher" via context menu (after creating my LNK launcher correctly), AEL, says "Launcher KSON not found. Add ROMs to Launcher".

Is there a step I'm missing? I did notice there's an update available for download for 0.9.6. However, I'm not sure if that would fix the issue I'm having ...or, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks again for your help,
MKANET

Currently there are no significant updates over 0.9.6 in Github. I did some work to test a new offline scraper based on Launchbox database and a couple of fixes but nothing more. 0.9.6 should be fine for you.

Tomorrow I will post a step by step tutorial about LNK launchers.
(2017-06-19, 23:55)RazorFR Wrote: [ -> ]A small mod for those who like Estuary and are using AEL

Thanks for this Big Grin

I will have a look and maybe incorporate your changes into Estuary AEL MOD. Currently Estuary AEL MOD just focuses on adding new AEL views to Estuary but it would be nice to have a Games menu entry on the main menu.
Hello everyone,

I would have liked to know if someone, Wintermute0110 or another could explain to me how to create a small function that would be practical.

I use Arctic Zephyr + with AEL, A perfect duo, but there is a small problem, below some screens of the problem :

watch gallery

In the red square the notification of launch of the games in question Steam + Uplay.

The problem is that during this phase is that one can press an untold number of times on the input button, and launch twenty or thirty times the game.

What I would like to know is if it is possible to create a launch script that would have these properties :
  • Unable to click in kodi after launcher is launched (Lawl)
  • Hiding the mouse in the game, there are games or the mouse does not disappear when a controller is plugged in
  • Hide Kodi and launch in fullscreen, a fanart as on the interface PS4 or XBOX ONE
Here is an example of a launch screen that could be used for Assassin's Creed 2

watch gallery

Thank you for your reply.

Cloud_13
(2017-06-20, 16:27)Cloud_13 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone,

I would have liked to know if someone, Wintermute0110 or another could explain to me how to create a small function that would be practical.

I use Arctic Zephyr + with AEL, A perfect duo, but there is a small problem, below some screens of the problem :

watch gallery

In the red square the notification of launch of the games in question Steam + Uplay.

The problem is that during this phase is that one can press an untold number of times on the input button, and launch twenty or thirty times the game.

What I would like to know is if it is possible to create a launch script that would have these properties :
  • Unable to click in kodi after launcher is launched (Lawl)
  • Hiding the mouse in the game, there are games or the mouse does not disappear when a controller is plugged in
  • Hide Kodi and launch in fullscreen, a fanart as on the interface PS4 or XBOX ONE
Here is an example of a launch screen that could be used for Assassin's Creed 2

watch gallery

Thank you for your reply.

Cloud_13

Hi Cloud_13. If the notification is causing you problems then you can disable it on AEL addon settings, "Display" tab, "Launching Application notification". Also, make sure you reduce the "After/before launch delay (ms)" in the "Advanced" tab. The defauls value of 500 miliseconds is rather conservative and in my Linux-based setup 100 ms or less works OK.

0.9.6 introduces a new feature that detects if another instance of AEL is running and aborts execution of the second instance (kudos to Roman_V_M for his help providing ideas to develop this). This avoids multiple launching and also complete eliminates any database corruption due to concurrency: in others words, 0.9.6 got rid forever of the database corruption issues of Advanced Launcher. However, some people have reported that if they click on AEL in the mean time the game/emulator is being launched then Kodi gets the focus instead of the launched application. Have you tried 0.9.6 in your setup to test how it behaves?

In case problems persist I will think on another solution based on a script. What operating system are you using by the way? I think Windows but just to confirm.