Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Rasberry Pi configured as NAS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We all know the Raspberry Pi is a computer and you can do just about anything with it, but ran into this 'Cnet' article which lays it out with links for any additional software, and step-by-step instructions. Whatch out for the pop-ups though Smile

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/raspberry-pi-...-solution/

You might make something out of those older gen units.
Going to use mine as a ftp and owncloud server.
I saw this the other day. It's a pretty good idea. I have a cheapie windows 10 box set up as the server at my sister's house, but no matter what I do, it keeps turning itself off. This would solve that, and I'm guessing OpenMediaVault is much less of a hassle when using SMB than Windows 10.
How would you access the drives outside of your network?

Sent from my iPhone
Same as with any setup.
So after spending a few hours at it, I think OMV might be a burning pile of garbage. You have to go through like 5 steps to share a folder over SMB, and if that folder is on a USB drive, you have to manually remount it every time you restart the computer. I'm not sure how much I need to emphasize that that is incredibly user unfriendly.

Another real delight is that the thing simply could not connect to a time server to save its life. I think it might have correctly connected once, after about 7 reboots.

Also, changing a setting resulted in an error about 75% of the time. And after one error happened, you probably got errors with everything after that, meaning you needed to reboot. Which of course meant I needed to manually remount the damned usb drive again.

I tried installing Sabnzbd. It doesn't exist. The guides all act like it exists. They are wrong. No matter what I tried with OMV-extras.org and the Plugins, Sabnzbd was simply not an option for installing. There was a transmission plugin, but that doesn't really help me. All that sonarr/sickbeard/sickrage nonsense? Also, totally not there. Sometimes in the forums people would talk about these addons like they were in available to install. They'd do that classic thing "Nevermind, I figured it out," without saying how they figured it out.

It was delightful. Reminded me a lot of trying to figure out how to do something in Linux back when I tried using Linux as my daily driver.

So... I'm going to give it a day or two. Maybe there's something wrong with the omv-extras server or something. I tried checking to see if there were any updates from the version I was using: 2.2.5, for the curious. I don't actually know if there are, because every time I checked, I'd get another error.

I genuinely have no idea why people like this software.
I'm worried I'm giving too much of a bad wrap to the software, so here is a positive. Once it's on, I can shut down my PC and still have the server running. That's pretty nice. It'd be better if sab could also be running, but I guess that's a problem for another day.
Pi's are great for all sorts of little home servers. Some more examples:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultimate...me-Server/
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/t...n-debian-8
https://pi-hole.net/
http://www.pimusicbox.com/

I have the second one running at home as my OpenVPN and WINS server on a Pi2 (just updated from a Pi1, a new Pi3 having replaced the Pi2 as my Kodi box and the Pi1 is now a PiMusicBox radio driving some old powered PC speakers).

I did used to have the ad-blocking DNS server too (number 3 in the list) but the missus complained that it messed with Facebook too much.
(2016-09-02, 10:04)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]So after spending a few hours at it, I think OMV might be a burning pile of garbage. You have to go through like 5 steps to share a folder over SMB, and if that folder is on a USB drive, you have to manually remount it every time you restart the computer. I'm not sure how much I need to emphasize that that is incredibly user unfriendly.

Another real delight is that the thing simply could not connect to a time server to save its life. I think it might have correctly connected once, after about 7 reboots.

Also, changing a setting resulted in an error about 75% of the time. And after one error happened, you probably got errors with everything after that, meaning you needed to reboot. Which of course meant I needed to manually remount the damned usb drive again.

I tried installing Sabnzbd. It doesn't exist. The guides all act like it exists. They are wrong. No matter what I tried with OMV-extras.org and the Plugins, Sabnzbd was simply not an option for installing. There was a transmission plugin, but that doesn't really help me. All that sonarr/sickbeard/sickrage nonsense? Also, totally not there. Sometimes in the forums people would talk about these addons like they were in available to install. They'd do that classic thing "Nevermind, I figured it out," without saying how they figured it out.

## Snipped ##

Thats unfortunate, I ran a OMV server on a Raspberry pi 1 with a USB HDD for a year without any problem (that was not my own fault). I wonder what happened, I had no problem with my USB drive auto-mounting and I could connect easily (if slowly) even transferred several 100GBs. Almost never had to reboot it, it even booted alright after a few power outages. As to Sabnzbd, I didn't try installing it myself but it might be that they do not have the ARM version available, the raspberry pi has a smaller collection of addons available. Even had it running syncthing (though I hated the OMV interface and just used the syncthing one).
@natethomas, you're probably better to install raspbian or archlinux and admin over commandline.

You'll also be able to install any other software you like without having to rely on OMV having a package.
@natethomas

It's been a long time since I originally installed OMV, but it was a lot easier than what you are describing. My drives automatically mount and get shared, and they're USB drives. What guide were you using?

@nickr

OMV is just Debian with a web UI. I've installed a bunch of stuff that doesn't have an OMV plug-in. Such as ZNC, OpenVPN, some node.js home bridge thing for my Hue Lights so the iPhone will do the Siri thing with them (computer, lights!).
I was actually using the guide linked by OP.
I also want to try out Pi - quick qn, how much can you run simultaneously? e.g. I want to run pihole for ad blocking, PiMusicbox, and something for downloading and also reverse proxy/firewall to all other services on my home pc. Can it handle multiple tasks?
Certainly PiHole and a firewall will happily run together. PiMusicBox is supplied as an image, so would probably have to be what went on first but they should co-exist OK.

I used to run PiHole, the OpenVPN server and the WINS server on a Pi1 and it was fine.
I'd recommend trying out DietPi and setting up an FTP server with ProFTPD. Lower CPU overhead and slightly faster than Samba.

Download DietPi here.

Set up ProFTPD here.

Per DietPi:

Why choose ProFTP over Samba?

- ProFTP outperforms Samba in all aspects of performance.
- ProFTP can max out the RPi 100mbit connection with minimal cpu usage.
- Samba server on a RPi v1 will hit 100% cpu usage at 40mbit transfer rate.

http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15#p19
Pages: 1 2