Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sync Skin Settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My semi-annual post to see if there's been any discovered/new way to sync skin settings. With MySQL, Dropbox and symlinks of the advancedsettings.xml, sources.xml, and library folder inside the Userdata folder (for custom nodes) getting a new (or an inexplicably damaged) instance of Kodi up and running is pretty quick and painless. In fact, the only thing that takes forever is re-configuring all of my settings inside the Aeon Nox skin. I've heard most of them exist inside the guisettings.xml file but it also includes a ton of device specific info that makes symlinking that inadvisable (I speak from experience).

Is there any way yet to do this?

I realize I'm not really the caliber of user that would/deserves to make feature requests, but it seems to me that a single xml file that contains device agnostic skin/gui settings would be extremely useful (def to me). Would it be possible to just separate out the settings in guisettings.xml that are device specific to those that aren't?
yes, skin settings are in a separate file now.
...userdata/addon_data/skin.xxxxx/settings.xml
Just to add to that...
If you want to share across devices it's worth going through settings.xml looking for local addresses that are specific to an os or device and changing them all to network addresses and / or 'special' addresses (if inside the kodi folder).
Then it's literally drop the file into the addon_data/skin.xxxx folder while the skin's not running, install or switch to the skin and everything works.
Thanks guys! I'll attempt this tonight and report back

edit: It WORKED! Thanks again!
How you guys make that trick?
I've had also 3 devices and it's real paint to setup all the things after change settings and/or update skin (Aeon Nox SilVO mod here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210069)
If I recall there is special path as special://skin which is simlinked to current skin and if I make path substitution in advancesettings.xml to that path but stored in shared smb:// path.... could that be posible ?
No, @TopperBG. Just symlink the XML file that @ronie mentions above. Anything else has client specific settings that will screw everything up. Also follow @troggy 's advice as it is really important as well. Then thank them with the plus button (cause they are awesome and helpful).

Edit: my fault, thank them with the "Thank User" button in the bottom left of their post.
New users (with less than 20 posts) do not have the thank you capability - just to forestall the next question about an absent button.
Haha doh. That's what I get for trying to help those get the recognition they deserve.
(2016-10-04, 17:49)seth.feinberg Wrote: [ -> ]No, @TopperBG. Just symlink the XML file that @ronie mentions above. Anything else has client specific settings that will screw everything up. Also follow @troggy 's advice as it is really important as well. Then thank them with the plus button (cause they are awesome and helpful).

Edit: my fault, thank them with the "Thank User" button in the bottom left of their post.
Hm, let me clarify. Symlink can be done if you link local file. Even don't know if you mount.network file system it will be possible. Sure about that is path substitution. Store file on network path and substitute it in all your devices?ok, thanks but I don't catch the point, will make few tests here....

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09