Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Very high cpu usage when playing back a video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I'm running kodi un an Ubuntu 16.04 machine.
It's up to date per 26 aug.
Both versions of kodi used for testing are build manualy.
cpu: pentium [email protected], dual core.
gpu: Nvidia Geforce 210

When playing back the very same HD recording with both Jarvis and Krypton I noticed a very high cpu usage in Krypton.
In Jarvis I get this from top:

However, Krypton goes beserk:

Debug log for Jarvis is here: http://pastebin.com/nBULmtTH

Debug log for Krypton is here: http://pastebin.com/ZQ3PqawG

I do hope this can be fixed, as my regular frontends are Intel Atom/ION2 machines. Really good for playing back this kind of content, but using Krypton, I'm afraid they wil be toast in no timeDevil.

Kind regards,
Tycho.
Works with libreelec 8 from usb, right? We patched out an nvidia workaround for swapbuffers, which is most likely the cause. Please report back with le results.
Please point me to that patch, I'll try to apply it to my 340.96 nvidia drivers and see what happens. I don't want to run libreelec.
Krypton should run fine on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS anyway.
BTW, I find it very hard to believe that you're right about this supposed driver issue. After all, Jarvis is not affected, so it has something to do with changes in Krypton.
Yes - we removed a hack for nvidia which was in our code ... LE has added that into their packaging: See 00a3e8d1a6d4391063e47a052d3df47673724a1f

And here the OE fix: https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.t.../393/files for it - so try to start kodi manually via:
Code:
__GL_YIELD=USLEEP kodi
and it should work
Thanks for the pointer, I obviously misunderstood you.

It results in this, and I'm fine with that:

We will fix it in the kodi run script: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/10343
Works for me, thanks again

Just a quick question: the cpu load is still about 2.5 times higher compared to Jarvis. Is this a known issue or should I file another bug report?
Compare the cpu frequency ... on my system all cpus clock down to their lowest state ... so it only looks like more "load" on first look.

Btw. Any sane reason you use the G210 for hw decoding and not the Intel GPU? Just cause it is IVB and you think to see a 24p issue?
I use the g210 to be able to compare with the machines that I actually use for frontends. Those are all intel atom/ion2 machines (inaudible, due to the lack of any moving parts). But I did not want to roast those atom's, so I reverted to Jarvis on my frontends and tested Krypton on another machine.
I'll look into the actual cpu load some more this weekend.
Fyi, funny thing, I know you guys are not very fond of Debian, but playback of the exact same thing brought cpu load back another 5% on Debian Jessie. On first sight that is.
As said: if debian uses the old cpu governor - it might run with full speed :-) - so first things first.
Crap, I can't test on my frontend with todays checkout. I need to set the deinterlacing method to vdpau-bob or I get serious stuttering, but that setting has vanished into thin air.
When I set it manually, (used to be <interlacemethod>8</interlacemethod>) kodi crashes.
So, first things first, I'll file another bug report.
Investigating the extra cpu cycles in Krypton, I stumbled upon the inability of any kernel/governor to bring down the speed at witch my atom D510 runs. It will allways run at full speed.
The good news is that playing back a full HD (h264) recording only adds 2 or 3 degrees Celsius to the cpu temp, compared to idle. And that this temp is well below the critical temp.

Bottomline: my atoms will never get toasted just because Krypton uses over twice as much cpu cycles (according to top) compared with Jarvis. So I'm fine.

However, I think that the cpu cycles should not be this high. So just for the benefit of others: what can I do to help you to bring this down?
Check the threads, plugins and so on, Capture.

top, press H and see which threads consumes that much.
Pages: 1 2