Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Lets make a difference to XBMC (joint skin project) => Team Razorfish and MediaStream
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
I'm a long time lurker here (even took me a while to get an account - i just got sick of typing in the Captcha each time I searched) - I'm technical but not a developer, and have worked in software for a while in product management, usability and testing. I've been using XBMC for a couple of years.

I'm happy to contribute here for usability, testing and anything else you can think of that isn't coding. XBMC is such a kickass product that I am always willing to answer the call to help.

As for naming suggestions, how about "Xtensity". Fits with the fact that skins are an extension of the base product, and if we're being literal, its definition (well the definition of "extensity" anyway, it is just more Xbox-like without the 'e') is "The quality of having extension or being extensive".

Let me know how and if I can help.
theDeviL Wrote:I don't want to get transition happy either, but even a 3 milisecond dissolve makes a difference.

I fully agree. I'm just thinking of how some overuse it and how easy it can go from a nice 3 millisecond dissolve to too much for too long.
One skin I tried that really got me crawling along the walls was "Amped" with it's long unfolding time for the "screen".

And personally I think the name bit is the least of the problems, better wait with suggestions 'till we see where it's really barking and how it's turning out. No disrespect to the suggestions so far (that NIS logo looks good), but I just think it's better to wait till far later stages with a name, logo and so on.

Also, just a small last suggestion, when thinking of designs, try to think "outside the box" for new designs, not look so much to others (look who's talking, I just asked for a Pandora style album info) or what typical skins look like or how they're designed but rather try to think of completly new and fresh ideas.
I really believe in this project, but I'm a bit scared that there's gonna be too many jumping on the development trying to stick in the old tracks from many other skins. It's good with many developers in the sense that there's a good chance for keeping the project alive for years, but also a danger with the old "too many chefs in the kitchen". It has to be the proper guys that really can contribute, not just everyone that just has opinions (wich counts me out).

If I'm just ranting disregard my post. Smile
Cheers.
Ohhh man now you done it.... Shocked

How long would you sugest?, I thought it was perfectly acceptable opening time, and gave the feel of a smooth transition. Rather than bam something just happend but I dont know what.. Big Grin

Sorry off topic but since it was specifically pointed out... I may have a look at fixing.
I think that NIS logo looks pretty badass actually, and I kinda like what it stands for too.
theDeviL Wrote:its funny wee are discussing names, i had this idea that i never followed through some time ago to create and entity resposible for all that is unique and custom in my life.

I came up with NIS which was to represent that "Nothing Is Safe" with a slogan of " A Custom Way Of Life". it implies that nothing is left stock and every aspect of ones lifestyle shouwd be a unique experience. Wink

Just as a disclaimer, I think the name should be simple, in fact the word team does not need presence.
freaking hell man!
how da hell do you people do this sick effect!
I try doing something cool..but won't succeed!

Its just freaking awesome!
BGB - Billy Gates Brigade Laugh
wreezig Wrote:Also, just a small last suggestion, when thinking of designs, try to think "outside the box" for new designs, not look so much to others (look who's talking, I just asked for a Pandora style album info) or what typical skins look like or how they're designed but rather try to think of completly new and fresh ideas.
I really believe in this project, but I'm a bit scared that there's gonna be too many jumping on the development trying to stick in the old tracks from many other skins. It's good with many developers in the sense that there's a good chance for keeping the project alive for years, but also a danger with the old "too many chefs in the kitchen". It has to be the proper guys that really can contribute, not just everyone that just has opinions (wich counts me out).

I completely agree with this point of view. As I told some days ago, we need to take usability to the next level and not stick to something old in concept.

And for team naming too... why not a simple "X skinning team".

Cheers
theDeviL Wrote:its funny wee are discussing names, i had this idea that i never followed through some time ago to create and entity resposible for all that is unique and custom in my life.

I came up with NIS which was to represent that "Nothing Is Safe" with a slogan of " A Custom Way Of Life". it implies that nothing is left stock and every aspect of ones lifestyle shouwd be a unique experience. Wink

Just as a disclaimer, I think the name should be simple, in fact the word team does not need presence.

Nice
deepblue Wrote:I'm a long time lurker here (even took me a while to get an account - i just got sick of typing in the Captcha each time I searched) - I'm technical but not a developer, and have worked in software for a while in product management, usability and testing. I've been using XBMC for a couple of years.

I'm happy to contribute here for usability, testing and anything else you can think of that isn't coding. XBMC is such a kickass product that I am always willing to answer the call to help.

As for naming suggestions, how about "Xtensity". Fits with the fact that skins are an extension of the base product, and if we're being literal, its definition (well the definition of "extensity" anyway, it is just more Xbox-like without the 'e') is "The quality of having extension or being extensive".

Let me know how and if I can help.

I'm the same as deepblue - long time lurker, but i've had an account for a while. I'd love to help out where I can, but I'm only just learning how the whole skinning engine works in xbmc. I've been using xbmc religiously for about 6 months. I'm decent with photoshop, but not on the scale of some of the badass things I've seen around here Big Grin

I guess you can stick me in the "loudmouth opinion" section, and I'm more than happy to put a skin through the grinder to work the kinks out.

As for a name, I'm going to sned my vote to theDeviL's "NIS" idea - and I agree with him - we don't need the word "team" in the title...
I'm not sure a name for the team or skin is all that important at the moment I think that we're due to kick off this project tomorrow and I think all te effort needs to go into getting a clear idea of what we want to achieve and how we're going to do it. The skin is the most important thing at the end of the day not who makes it
indeed I agrfee skunk. The only reason I put this forward is due to the fact that my thread title seemed to have been changed by an admin, and it seemed to infer that we needed a name.

I agree with the fact that we need to start looking at the objectives tomorrow. I am going to speak to Pike with regard to the forums, and I will be PMing all involved with regard to contact info. From there, we need to spend a few days in communication with each other to ascertain what needs to be done, and who will be doing what.
the people I have down so far and, therefore, will go forward into the team are as follows:

BritneysPairs
MacGyver
Mantis
JustMeD
Skunkmonkee
Garage Battle
Gamester (advice, etc)
timdog82001
Aenima99x
blittan (python support if needed)
esOsO
Broads
Reginald
JMarshall
theDeviL
Syph0nm
grrowl
Manturafs
Wir3d

If you're name is not on the list...chances are that you either have not contacted me, or you have been a little ambiguous whether you would like to help out or not. If you are wanting to help out on the project in some aspect, then please PM me and let me know what you can do to help.

Thanks
Nice to here..... I beleive if theDevil decides to want fluid as this project that he is head Graphic Artist but I would like to talk with people as to what XBMC is capable of in regards to interface flow and customisation. I can supply working examples of such things and dont think that just because choke once created a great skin (PM1) that every other skin from then on should be the same in concept.... although to be fair some skins have been forward thinking and added some neat toys. But for me we should look at all toys that are availble and see if they are just toys for no reason or wether they can increase the easy and useablity for the end user.

I wait to have a talk and maybe get hold of base graphics... to churn out some demos / concepts to get the direction of the skin going. Once we have come up with the direction the rest is just skinning work where one can sit down and carry it out.
One thing that I would strongly suggest would be to resist having customization within the skin itself as much as possible.

Too many customization options leads to an overly complicated skin from a coding perspective for a start, and also tends to reduce the "branding" of the skin as things can get overly cluttered.

Simple things (such as home menu items being switched on and off) are fine, but you cannot cater for everyone, and nor should you try to. Instead, focus on a "complete" skin that, while perhaps not offering everything the "modder" types would want, will instead be simple, clean, and not leave the "average" user wanting more OR less.

I'd also strongly suggest to steer clear of hardcoded links to particular file sources in the media windows. Promote the library views instead, as in the long-term file based I suspect will become less and less of an option.

Cheers,
Jonathan
I will make sure we look at that BP....one thing I will make sure, however, is that the people on this project work as a team. The project is to benefit the community as a whole, to provide a professional-looking skin.

The one thing I have learnt is that people who do things with thier own agenda normally do more harm than good to a project. I'm not saying this to anyone in particular, but I lay it out in the public forum this evening, so that from tomorrow EVERYONE knows what we are doing and why.

For this to work, each and every member of the team has to work and pull together. As much as we can, we need to put up with, get along with, and work together...this way the skin will be created quicker than having to deal with in-house conflict.

It's not productive and I dont really want it.

I hope this does not come across as harsh...but I did feel that it needed saying tonight!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13