Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [SOLVED] Estuary MOD: better navigation in main menu: land on widget area
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Currently
when tapping right while on any of the items in the main menu (movies, music, tv shows, ...) the user lands on the top icons (the small ones at the very top).

Expected
I would expect and suggest, that the user should instead land in the widget section i.e. on the item at the top left. Should the user then want to navigate to the top icons, user would have to press "up".
Not a lot would change, the only change is that the user lands in the widget area instaed of the icons after pressing right.

This suggestion assumes that the widgets cover the most important actions:

- watching a movie that was just added
- watching in progress movies
- watching a random movie
... you get the idea

So there's no real need having the user navigate to the movie library and do a lot of scrolling and fiddeling.

The other assumption is that users will adapt to widget usage as soon as Estuary is stable default. By that I mean, that users will use the widget section a lot more than the top icons. The latter is a plain assumption out of thin air and I might be wrong and majority of users use the icons more than the actual widget areas. But I'd assume otherwise.

The faulty behavior is documented in a screencast here: https://vid.me/DiFc
Doesn't the default skin remember if you were on the top row of icons or one of the widgets when you go back to the sidebar and continues using that action? If I am on a sidebar item (say Movies) and right click over to a widget poster then repeat, it always goes directly to the widget. If I am on the sidebar and go over to a widget then press up to the smaller icons, then press left to go back to the sidebar, then, it does as you describe, alway returning to the small icons when pressing right from the sidebar. If I then go down to a widget and then left to the sidebar the action sticks and i am able to go directly right to widgets again.

Is that not now yours works? Next time you have one of the small icons highlighted, press down first to go to a widget. Then press left to go back to the sidebar. If you press right again, it should bring you directly to a widget NOT back to the small icons.

I just tried it on my Beta 1 install and it does work as described above.

Could this have changed in a nightly?

Also note that this has to be using the default skin and not a mod. the last time I checked out Guilouz mod it worked like you describe with no way to change that action. its one of the main reasons I don't use his mod.
Quote:Doesn't the default skin remember if you were on the top row of icons or one of the widgets when you go back to the sidebar and continues using that action?

That's exactly the case for me as well. I pinged the OP at IRC but unfortunately it seems to be too late Wink

@Syncopation:

For me it does remember where I was last and jumps back to it if I navigate to the location (move right) again.

Btw...I upgraded to 17b1 as well to be on the same Version as you are. If it behaves different for you, it might be an "Kodi on MacOS" related problem, because I use it on Linux.
So this is a bug in Estuary Mod then.

Reposted in Estuary mod thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2405897
(2016-09-01, 09:24)Syncopation Wrote: [ -> ]So this is a bug in Estuary Mod then.

Reposted in Estuary mod thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2405897

Not a bug. It's how the developer of the mod intended it to function. I requested early on for the mod to function the way you/I expect it to but he says he likes it the way he has it.
It's not a bug. It's my choice to use top icon first.
Interesting choice. It seems most users expect the navigation to work differently from the current choice. Can someone explain the current design choice in greater detail other than "Guilouz likes it that way". But hey it's his mod, so I guess I could make a fork. Since I don't have skill nor capacity to maintain that, discussion is already ended.

And yet I'd still love to understand the reasoning behind the current choice. Maybe I can learn the thought process or new ways how kodi can be used and that I have been "holding it wrong" ™ all the time.
Because I always use top icon and it's better for me to have top icons first when go right.
I think elchupete explained it very well in the other thread, it is the designers choice!

(2016-09-03, 15:35)elchupete Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think its a weak argument. Its a mod Guilouz made for his own. He is kind enough to share his mod with the community and from time to time accepts suggestions from us, the users. If he does not, its purely his decision.

If, lets say, a painter decides to paint a tree and makes it blue, because he likes it, its his decision. Although everyone else would say a green tree would feel much more natural, the painter still has the right to make it blue, if he likes it that way.

If all the changes suggested were implemented and then given the choice to enable or disable them (as suggested by someone, I can't remember who?) the mod would become slow and bloated,

And lastly just because 3 people agree on something doesn't mean that the default behavior is broken Syncopation!
Pasado: while using many words you provide not a single argument for the current behavior.
(2016-09-03, 16:54)Syncopation Wrote: [ -> ]Pasado: while using many words you provide not a single argument for the current behavior.

I can see what you are doing Syncopation and I can see you're upset but I won't be drawn into your argument! Designers are like gods and I expect that right now your designer oops I mean god.. is regretting giving you a brain!! Sleepy

Oh by the way have you noticed that you have made the subject line too long or was that how you designed it! Tongue
Syncopation, your refund is in the mail.

Sent from my Nexus 6
Taken from the other thread

(2016-09-03, 16:53)Syncopation Wrote: [ -> ]elchupete: so what is this thread here about you think?

The other thread is basically for Guilouz to inform about updates. Its for users also to report bugs and ask for help or features.
These features might be accepted or not. If a feature is not accepted, there is no need to start endlessly discussions.

Back to your dilemma, Syncopation:

As far as I followed the whole thing, you have the following options

1. Be happy, that Guilouz is so kind to share his mod and use it as is.
2. Ask for a feature request, be happy if its accepted and use it
3. If your feature request is rejected, implement it on your own, be happy and use it
4. If you are not able to do 3., look for a workaround you can live with, be happy and use it
5. Accept the way the mod works, be unhappy and DONT use it.

No. 1 is not an option for you. Otherwise we won't have this discussion.
So you did No. 2 as this thread proofs. Feature was not accepted.

That leaves you with options 3., 4., or 5.

As you said, No. 3 is not an option for you, as you cannot or haven't got the time to make the changes yourself.

Option 4. does not seems to be an option, as your neither asked for nor makes suggestions yourself.
(A workaround might be to remove all the submenu items. This way a click to the right will directly lead you to the first widget item.)

As No. 4 is out of the the possible options, that leaves you with the only possible option:

Accept the way the mod works, be unhappy and don't use it.

Thanks for reading

Best regards
Stefan
Could a switch in skin options be implemented for it to go to movies/tv show widget right away?

edit: Sorry, saw that the creator have no intent of making it behave like that. Thanks for the nice mod, nevertheless.
elchuptete 120 pages to inform about updates?

While a lot of contributors in this thread are making fun of me, the suggested design change has been implemented by Guilouz into estuary mod as an option. Thanks for that!

case closed.
Pages: 1 2