Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: QNAP TS-453a - Good enough for 1080p running on Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am about to purchase QNAP TS-453a.

It has "Intel Celeron N3150 1.6GHz quad-core processor". I am planning to have it with 8GB or 16GB RAM.
The OS of this NAS has a Kodi package. Alternatively, I can install Linux on it, and install Kodi on top of that.
To top it all off, the NAS comes with HDMI output, directly to TV.

Will this be sufficient to play 1080p content without stuttering?
RAM does not matter, 1080p works on that chip.

But(!): No single idea about the QNAP implementation and which version of kodi they ship.
(2016-09-01, 20:13)hydraSlav Wrote: [ -> ]I am about to purchase QNAP TS-453a.

I recently got the TS-451A and suggest getting it instead.

I have it connected to my receiver via HTML, which is then fed to my monitor.

It comes with 4.2.2 and Kodi 16 (which you'll have to install, along with HD station).

I've installed Kodi 17 B1 (https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=3...45#p566845). It does not overwrite Kodi 16, nor does it use its configuration. It is on its own, which is perfect, in case you have to bounce back and forth (which you shouldn't have to do).

I've run into an issue with audio passthrough, which is being discussed in another thread. But it plays 1080p videos without any issues. Kodi 16 did have an issue with some 1080i29.97 files (TS and MKV), but Kodi 17 has no issues with either.

UPDATE: Audio passthrough issue has been solved. No matter which QNAP you go with, be sure and install Kodi 17 Beta. With Kodi 16, support for DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD does not exist. With Kodi 17 Beta, all but ATMOS are supported (not a real loss unless you have an ATMOS system).
We should just deliver the atmos bits in the pt stream... of TrueHD.
Ah OK. Just wasn't listed as an option in the passthrough.

Thanks for the update.
Nope - it's not listed there - you won't find it on any setup as we cannot distinguish between truehd / truehd with atmos. We just pass the extradata, too.
Thanks, nice to know.
Same for DTS:X, iirc
(2016-09-02, 11:37)MrVideo Wrote: [ -> ]I've installed Kodi 17 B1 (https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=3...45#p566845).

Thanks

That thread however makes it sound like you cannot install 3rd party addons on QTS version of Kodi? Is that true?

I don't have a received with HDMI-in, so that 453a looks good cause it has line-out. Although I doubt I would get anything but stereo over line-out.
(2016-09-06, 15:59)hydraSlav Wrote: [ -> ]That thread however makes it sound like you cannot install 3rd party addons on QTS version of Kodi? Is that true?
I do not know, since I've installed the Kodi 17 beta to use instead of the default installed version. Plus, I do not use add-ons. You can ask in the following forum: https://forum.qnap.com/viewforum.php?f=1...bbf462d33e
Quote:I don't have a received with HDMI-in, so that 453a looks good cause it has line-out. Although I doubt I would get anything but stereo over line-out.
Correct, audio line out is only stereo, though it will pass Dolby Surround, as it is an analog format. Audio passthough is an HDMI only capability.
Sorry, a bit late here. But I have the very same QNAP model and I can confirm Kodi 17 plays well even 4k@60p videos...