Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Deinterlacing explain?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So with all the recent changes for the PIs can someone explain the differences between BOB, BOB half, Advanced, and Advanced half? I don't know what to use for which one when watching Live TV here in the US I get from Comcast streamed via MythTV. Any geeky or technical help would be appreciated, thanks!!
From the wiki: Deinterlacing is the process of converting interlaced video, such as common analog television ... This process of dividing frames into half-resolution fields at double the frame rate is known as interlacing. Since the interlaced signal .... These techniques are also called bob deinterlacing and linear deinterlacing for this reason. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing

have a look at this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=218710
(2016-09-05, 00:38)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]From the wiki: Deinterlacing is the process of converting interlaced video, such as common analog television ... This process of dividing frames into half-resolution fields at double the frame rate is known as interlacing. Since the interlaced signal .... These techniques are also called bob deinterlacing and linear deinterlacing for this reason. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing

have a look at this thread http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=218710

I read that but what is the difference between the HALF and NON-HALF versions of the de-interlacers when it comes to KODI?
(2016-09-05, 00:47)pyrodex Wrote: [ -> ]I read that but what is the difference between the HALF and NON-HALF versions of the de-interlacers when it comes to KODI?
Why does it matter when "Yves Faroudja, the founder of Faroudja Labs and Emmy Award winner for his achievements in deinterlacing technology, has stated that "interlace to progressive does not work" and advised against using interlaced signal" as stated in the wiki.

If this smart bloke, who make money selling pricy deinterlacing hardware, advises one uses progressive material where possible, maybe it's wise to simply take his advice.
If you can't get progressive broadcast material, then likley half the challenge would be to work out what bastardised interlaced mashup a broadcast is comprised of, especially with news broadcasts.
And as the old folk who know their stuff retire, the new generation becomes further removed from the historical mess that is global TV and make poorer choices in the broadcast post processing.

Guess i'm saying (as a layman) the end result is less than optimal broadcast quality, most of the time.
Hell, even BD's i've purchased have turned out to be what look like poorly deinterlaced and poorly upscaled versions of DVD Confused

Maybe you can simply try the deinterlacers on offer and trust your eyes - if you can't see any difference, i'd say the technicalities don't matter Tongue
The "half" variants produce half the framerate of the non-half versions.
If you start with 1080i60, the "half" form will produce output of 1080p30 and the non-half will produce 1080p60.

The non-half will look smoother, but with more load on system.
(2016-09-05, 14:06)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]The "half" variants produce half the framerate of the non-half versions.
If you start with 1080i60, the "half" form will produce output of 1080p30 and the non-half will produce 1080p60.

Thanks popcornmix! That is the exact explanation I was looking for on the half point.
(2016-09-05, 14:06)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]The "half" variants produce half the framerate of the non-half versions.

Yes - (Half) deinterlace is not good for native interlaced content - as it halves the image refresh rate, displaying stuff shot at 59.94/50 images per second at 29.97/25 images per second, discarding 50% of the motion information (and thus making fluid content look juddery)

MMAL Advanced is the highest quality deinterlace on a Pi - it's a YADIF 2x implemented in VPU/GPU (not CPU). You can use MMAL deinterlace with OMX hardware acceleration (you don't have to have MMAL hardware acceleration for MMAL deinterlace)

On a Pi 0/A/B you can run Bob or MMAL Bob for 1080i, and MMAL Advanced (which is YADIF 2x quality) for 480i/576i.

On a Pi 2B you can run MMAL Advanced on all content, but may need a slight overclock for 1080i.

On a Pi 3B you get MMAL Advanced on all interlaced content at standard settings.
Are any of these available in Kodi? (Google brought me here, so just clarifying for others who come from a search).
(2020-10-08, 21:44)HeresJohnny Wrote: [ -> ]Are any of these available in Kodi? (Google brought me here, so just clarifying for others who come from a search).

These are all available in Kodi when it runs on the Raspberry Pi - at least under LibreElec (and I believe the same when it runs on Raspberry Pi OS - formerly known as Raspbian)

The MMAL situation may have improved in the past few years to allow MMAL advanced to now run on a single core Pi like the Zero.